Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #256
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
I await with bated breath ...
By the way, you use ... incorrectly. there should not be a space before or after.

Also, why would you want to eat worms?

And to answer your question that I did not quote, the answer is errata.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #257
John the Miner
Enthusiast
John the Miner began at the beginning.

Device: Eco e-reader
errata: shows you the benefits of a good education!
I think I will go with the majority of sources, which advocate the use of a space before and after ellipses ...
But, again, who says style should be an issue in a discussion such as this?
Is there a style guide that MobileRead Forums recommends? Is there a dictionary that is supposed to be used by participants?
If there are, then why don't people use them? If there are, then I would gladly use them for the sake of consistency.
Is there a moderator who enforces the use of a style guide or a dictionary in these pages? Does the moderator state that the serial comma MUST be used before a submission will be allowed to appear?

Last edited by John the Miner; 06-22-2012 at 05:16 PM.
John the Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #258
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
I would have thought all the "proofreaders" around the joint would have jumped on that one right from the word "go".
But, being a professional proofreader with about 50 years' experience, what would I know?
I really am confused about what you are trying to achieve with your posts in this thread. The general theme seems to be that the original release of LoTR had errors in, that shouldn't have happened in such a long awaited text; the final text should have been proof read by a professional.

You seem to be advocating that it shouldn't have been proofread at all, because 'modern' internet-speak has done away accepted grammatical rules and/or spelling.

I've obviously missed something, but you haven't gone out of your way to present a clear message.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #259
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As such I blame you for my ebooks containing mistakes. How dare you sell me ebooks full of errata ?

Quote:
I would have thought all the "proofreaders" around the joint would have jumped on that one right from the word "go".
But, being a professional proofreader with about 50 years' experience, what would I know?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #260
John the Miner
Enthusiast

Once upon a time (like all good fairy stories start out), editing and proofreading were regarded as essential in the production of a text.
These days, that dictum has gone the way of the dodo and the invasive, pervasive influence of the internet/social media ensures it will never again be anywhere as important as it once was.
As such, I rest my case, m'lud.

Last edited by John the Miner; 06-22-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #261
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I will go with the majority of sources, which advocate the use of a space before and after ellipses ...
But, again, who says style should be an issue in a discussion such as this?
Is there a style guide that MobileRead Forums recommends? Is there a dictionary that is supposed to be used by participants?
If there are, then why don't people use them? If there are, then I would gladly use them for the sake of consistency.
Is there a moderator who enforces the use of a style guide or a dictionary in these pages? Does the moderator state that the serial comma MUST be used before a submission will be allowed to appear?
Correct styling is part of proofreading. As for ellipses, in an eBook, there should be a non-breaking space before and after each . unless you have say a " after the last dot. If you don't use a non-breaking space, then your spacing can be off and that is wrong.

Spaces before and after —. Using – instead and putting spaces around is wrong.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #262
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Once upon a time (like all good fairy stories start out), editing and proofreading were regarded as essential in the production of a text.
These days, that dictum has gone the way of the dodo and the invasive, pervasive influence of the internet/social media ensures it will never again be anywhere as important as it once was.
As such, I rest my case, m'lud.
What a load of crap!
Old 06-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #263
John the Miner
Enthusiast

OK. Have it your way. I'm just glad you're not paying my freight.
There used to be a saying in a newspaper I worked in when there was any sort of conflict of ideas: There are two ways through this; there's the right way, and there's the wrong way. And then, of course, there's your way.

Last edited by John the Miner; 06-23-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #264
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Members should take care to follow the posting guidelines, especially the first:

1. Discuss Things Politely

Thank you.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #265
John the Miner
Enthusiast

Doesn't worry me ... I'm outa here.
How could I possibly compete with a 29,000-plus poster?
Just one final thought: how would the "proofreader" members punctuate a statement like "This animal eats roots shoots and leaves"?

Last edited by John the Miner; 06-23-2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #266
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Doesn't worry me ... I'm outa here.
How could I possibly compete with a 29,000-plus poster?
Easily?

I do not think anybody care about number of posts here.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #267
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ok guys let us get back on topic please.
So if anybody spots any errors in the LOTR books, let the rest of us know please. Or has this huge book come to be 100% error free ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #268
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
One of the oldest schools in the world, and one which undoubtedly gives a good, if not superior, education is Winchester College. Of particular note is the school motto, "Manners Makyth Man".

There is more to a good education than learning the proper plural form of Latin nouns.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #269
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Ok guys let us get back on topic please.
So if anybody spots any errors in the LOTR books, let the rest of us know please. Or has this huge book come to be 100% error free ?
The only remaining error I know about is the erroneous hyphen in Dunadan.

But there are undoubtedly more errors, most likely in the Appendices which are very complex.

One problem with the current ebook version is the use of small graphics for the in-line runes. There are small bitmaps, so they don't resize with the text.

I hope that these will eventually be replaced with resizing SVG graphics, or perhaps with a custom font, in a new ebook edition. The Appendices could really benefit from this too. I might be persuaded to spend on a new edition if it was done really well.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #270
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
One problem with the current ebook version is the use of small graphics for the in-line runes. There are small bitmaps, so they don't resize with the text.

I hope that these will eventually be replaced with resizing SVG graphics, or perhaps with a custom font, in a new ebook edition. The Appendices could really benefit from this too.
This almost sounds like a challenge! LOTR is almost at the top of my to-read list (for the first time on the ereader). I'll keep it in the back of my mind...

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote