Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Angela Thirkell - Ultimate Cozy's

EDIT: These books have been pulled from Amazon, and the publisher's web site is MIA. It may be that they didn't have the digital rights to the books, or there is a dispute. I'll be checking the Thirkell mailing list today to see what I can discover.

The first six of the Angela Thirkell Barsetshire novels have been released on Kindle by DigiReads. The indications are that they intend to continue with the full series. Price is $4.50 per book.

For those unfamiliar with Thirkell, these are cozies but not mysteries. Set in the fictional Barsetshire county in England, they are character driven and really quite comfy. Highly recommended for a quiet afternoon's read. No sex, no violence, and no cursing, just a very good read.

Notes:
1.) I haven't yet had a chance to check out the quality of the conversion, but will very soon.
EDIT: I've purchased and downloaded High Rising, and it appears quite clean. Bravo to Digireads.
2.) These books are a product of their times (first is from 1933), so don't expect modern attitudes.

Last edited by CRussel; 07-18-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Books pulled from Amazon, publisher MIA on the web
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This is a marvelous series! Loosely based on/related to Trollope's Barset Chronicles. The cast of characters appear, disappear, and reappear. Thirkell herself often claimed that she lost track of her characters - there were so many - and that's why one would suddenly reappear.
The series follows the lives of several families living near one another in the early 20th century. Very British. Some quite funny (dry Brit humor). A laudable addition to the ebook library. I hope their conversion produced readable ebooks - I too will report on them.

If you like the Miss Read series, you'll love these!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
LOVE and ADORE Miss Read, so will check these out
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I own the entire series in pbook, acquired with some difficulty over the years. There goes the value of my collection, lol! Angela Thirkell wrote the same book over and over, but if you like that sort of thing, you'll eat them up.

The only caveat I have is that the books take on a sour note as time passes. The post-war books don't have the same cheer of the pre-war books. The whole series serves as a window onto a conservative's view of social change in England in the middle of the 20th century.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I own the entire series in pbook, acquired with some difficulty over the years. There goes the value of my collection, lol! Angela Thirkell wrote the same book over and over, but if you like that sort of thing, you'll eat them up.

The only caveat I have is that the books take on a sour note as time passes. The post-war books don't have the same cheer of the pre-war books. The whole series serves as a window onto a conservative's view of social change in England in the middle of the 20th century.
Very true! The viewpoint if very upper-middle class conservative British society, for which the post-war years were an unpleasant reality.

I too had put together a pbook collection - Moyer Bell had a wonderful paperback series with splendid covers. Penguin issued some titles too.

A quick peek into the High Rising ebook - appears cleanly formatted (not a cheap scan of a paperback page) - but no maps or chapter divider art that was in the Moyer Bell editions.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Agreed. We have all the DT books here, and it wasn't easy finding some of them! But like you, I find the post-war books less appealing.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?

If short on time or money, The Demon in the House can be skipped - it's basically the same short story told over & over of a brat of a boy coming home on school holidays. Very repetitious - the weakest (IMHO) of all the Barsetshire titles.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
haven't read these for years but they are wonderful
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Sadly, there appears to be a problem with the availability of these books. They have been pulled from Amazon, and the publisher's web site is now just a landing page, with no content. I am smacking myself for only buying the first of them, and seriously wishing I had the rest. But very glad I have already liberated my copy of High Rising!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Those look like my cup of tea.
Hopefully they will reappear.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sadly, there appears to be a problem with the availability of these books. They have been pulled from Amazon, and the publisher's web site is now just a landing page, with no content. I am smacking myself for only buying the first of them, and seriously wishing I had the rest. But very glad I have already liberated my copy of High Rising!
Well ... now the web site is totally gone. Not looking good at all.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Reviving an old thread to inquire if anyone has any new information about her ebooks.

I love Trollop's writing and was thinking about these books, but it looks like they may still be unavailable.

Does anyone have any inside information about when they may again become available?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Sadly, no Don. And the former site now goes to a literary agency with no apparent connection. Clearly they were selling something they didn't have the rights to. I still have the two I bought from Amazon, but obviously can't get any more.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?

The USA publishers are Moyer Bell - who haven't yet had AFAIK any of their titles published in any ebook format. Given the recent lag/stoppage in their announced publication of the remaining Thirkell titles, as well as the promised re-issue of Barbara Pym's catalog, I fear the publisher may be in trouble.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
The USA publishers are Moyer Bell - who haven't yet had AFAIK any of their titles published in any ebook format. Given the recent lag/stoppage in their announced publication of the remaining Thirkell titles, as well as the promised re-issue of Barbara Pym's catalog, I fear the publisher may be in trouble.
A quick perusal of their website(?) is not encouraging, to say the least.

Tags
barcetshire, cozy, thirkell