Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #31
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've asked my wife (who is from Scotland) if she's ever heard of Oprah before moving to the US and she said she has. So take that for what you will.
Okay... so when I ask you to name me the real names of the Spice Girls, you'd say...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Okay... so when I ask you to name me the real names of the Spice Girls, you'd say...
Why would you want to know?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have been known to take the opinions of others as far as books go. But if someone says to me "That book is wonderful you will really enjoy it" and then you don't enjoy it, that kind of then says well, I guess that person likes books I don't so I cannot go by that person's opinion. If course, it would have to happen maybe 2 or 3 times. But if someone says a books is really good and I read it and find it is as well, I'd be inclined to then listen to that person again.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #34
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why would you want to know?
Survey says: Blaaat! Oh, sorry, that would be a cop-out, sir!

But anyway... point is, I think it would be a good idea to try to attract the attention of Oprah, or any other critic or celebrity who has the ears of the rest of the public. Remember, the intent is to get the rest of the public to buy e-books, and get the critics to recognize that and address it. Public sales and celebrity comments will force the bestseller lists to acknowledge e-books and list them.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #35
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
So, somebody needs to introduce Oprah to e-books. I'd do it, but I don't think she's into science fiction.
Actually, Oprah knows about ebooks (in theory). I remember reading that she gave away a bunch of the original Rocket Ebooks (made by Nuvomedia) to her audience.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #36
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Well, that's half the battle, then. Now someone needs to bring her attention to some really good e-books.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Someone needs to get her to give away a bunch of 505's to her audience next.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #38
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I suspect that the majority of the people who buy books on Oprah's recommendation probably wouldn't buy (or read) a book at all otherwise; which is a good thing, and at the same time a very sad thing.

She recommends some very good books but they do tend toward the depressing!

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 10-20-2007 at 08:07 PM.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I suspect that the majority of the people who buy books on Oprah's recommendation probably wouldn't buy (or read) a book at all otherwise; which is a good thing, and at the same time a very sad thing.
But how many buy the book and still not read it?
Old 10-21-2007, 04:09 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have been known to take the opinions of others as far as books go. But if someone says to me "That book is wonderful you will really enjoy it" and then you don't enjoy it, that kind of then says well, I guess that person likes books I don't so I cannot go by that person's opinion. If course, it would have to happen maybe 2 or 3 times. But if someone says a books is really good and I read it and find it is as well, I'd be inclined to then listen to that person again.
Opinions can obviously differ. In another thread, for example, someone said that they didn't enjoy Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth". To my mind, OTOH, it's an absolutely wonderful book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #41
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Opinions can obviously differ. In another thread, for example, someone said that they didn't enjoy Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth". To my mind, OTOH, it's an absolutely wonderful book.
Guilty as charged.

With regards to Oprah's recommendations, she has recommended some decent books. I believe she pipped House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III. (I may be misremembering. If she didn't, she should have.)

I don't generally take anyone's book recommendations without some knowledge of their preferences unless it's accompanied by some detail about why they liked it--as in a decent book review.

Obviously I'm in the minority when it comes to Follet's latest. At the ConnectStore, the #1 seller right now is Pillars of the Earth. World Without End is #2.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #42
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, there's no way of knowing that. But for the express purpose of getting onto the bestseller lists... who cares? If they don't read what they buy, that's their problem.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #43
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Someone needs to get her to give away a bunch of 505's to her audience next.
I'll take a ticket to that show!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #44
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Then Sony's next ad could say "Sexier than a Pontiac."
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have to confess that I buy Baen's "webscriptions" package month after month (basically as a way of giving them $15 for being "good guys") but I am (with a few exceptions) years behind on my reading of them. I've probably read about 20% of the Baen stuff I've bought .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote