Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #91
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Whether Apple's ultimate aim is hardware or content for the user it ends up being about content and ease of use. I don't think may people buy a device for it's hardware specs unless it can be shown as demonstratively superior. Apple did that with the creation of the iPad.

But now there are multiple vendors with big pockets entering the tablet market and that gap will quickly narrow or disappear. The buying decision will come down to content (that's why you bought it right) and ease of use. This decision is a step back on both fronts.
For ebooks, yes it is.
For newspapers and magazines, no it isn't.
When iNewsstand launches it will be a single UI for all the different content. There will be a single way of purchasing through the apple id that users already have, no need to sign up with lots of different providers. There will be a small number of simple subscription offers.
They are willing to sacrifice some of the ebook value to gain the magazine and newspaper easy of use and content, because that is what they see as the more important market. It is the segment where tablets are clearly superior to eInk devices, and one that is still in its infancy, so Apple have the chance to shape it from the beginning.

Quote:
This is not a bold strategic move anticipating future market needs, it's simply what it look like on the surface, dumb and self serving. It won't be that long before we will be reading the "What happened to Apple?" articles and when we do, whether it's this year, next year or several years from now, this decision will be one of the bullet points in the article.

Lately their reputation has been growing, but not in a good way and they have chosen to ignore it. (Always a bad sign) I'm sure they see it as simply a spin problem for the marketing department.

This clearly is not the straw that breaks Apple's back, but its certainly one that will be counted when their fall occurs.
Shrug. I think people have a hugely overinflated view of the importance of ebooks to tablet sales.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #92
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Murray,

I am not trying to be argumentative and I appreciate your patience, but I can't buy into the logic. I'm not sure why Apple would think that the subscription market is larger than the book market. More lucrative? If anybody is having bigger problems than book publishers then magazine and newspaper companies would most likely be on that list.

If Apple insists the only way to solve this problem is to make people go through their store, why charge them a 30% surcharge in order to route the purchase through the store - for their maintenance costs?

I don't doubt Apple would like to sell magazines as well as books as well as consumer goods if they could. But this was the best solution to their problem and this is being done keeping their customers interests in mind?

I'm sorry but I will have to remain a skeptic.

Last edited by fbrII; 07-26-2011 at 04:25 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #93
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Murray,

I am not trying to be argumentative and I appreciate your patience, but I can't buy into the logic. I'm not sure why Apple would think that the subscription market is larger than the book market. More lucrative? If anybody is having bigger problems than book publishers then magazine and newspaper companies would most likely be on that list.

If Apple insists the only way to solve this problem is to make people go through their store, why charge them a 30% surcharge in order to route the purchase through the store - for their maintenance costs?

I don't doubt Apple would like to sell magazines as well as books as well as consumer goods if they could. But this was the best solution to their problem and this is being done keeping their customers interests in mind?

MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #94
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsele View Post
not really this is a bully system Content does not go through apple at any time. we download it from our own none apple affiliated internet/cell provider.
Apple is stealing the money from the developers and if you cant see that, then its a shame.
Apple does not have to allow any content from third parties on its devices. At all. If Apple barred Amazon and others from their devices the issue of how to buy content would not even arise. Is Amazon "bullying" Apple and other booksellers by not allowing them to sell books or download content on Kindles? If your answer is yes, then I guess Apple is being a bully.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #95
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If Apple barred Amazon and others from their devices the issue of how to buy content would not even arise.
True, and they would have sold at lot fewer iPads. You have a some other plausible theory about why they allowed third party vendors to sell goods through their platform?

Is Amazon bullying Apple and other booksellers by not allowing them to sell books or download content on Kindles? Yes, Amazon is no better than Apple by using a proprietary DRM scheme. No rebuttal from me on that one, point stonetools

Last edited by fbrII; 07-26-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #96
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Murray,

Apple is in business to make money. Its not there to be a free pipe for others to sell and deliver media content. Apple with its record smashing new device, created a whole new market for media companies . It has a right to extract a toll for those who want access to this market. If you can't pay the toll or play by its rules, then its up to you to create your own market. One analyst sees it this way:

Quote:
We use the metaphor of an ecosystem a lot these days when discussing technology and media — too often, probably, without thinking — but in this case, it’s remarkably apt:

The emergence of the iPad, with its big screen, ease of use and customers ready and willing to pay for content, is like a new food source. The animals flock to it. Dominant species stake their positions, and new ones emerge.
But it turns out that this new food source has also helped spawned a new predator that partially defends it. That’s Apple’s in-app purchasing rules. For a brief time it looked like the predator would wipe out a huge swath of the other species, but now they’ve struck an uneasy balance.
Now all the species are swiftly adapting to the new environment. It won’t take long to see which adaptations turn out to be most advantageous in the near-future, but their long-term effects will probably still be unknown for years to come.
LINK

Read the whole thing. People are in fact adapting to the new rules.

Now you may not like that Apple charge magazines 30 per cent to access to the market created by Ios, but its really a business decision. Some mags have signed up with Apple, others side-stepped Apple by creating web apps, and others have partnered up with Amazon and B&N on one hand, and Flipboard on another. We will see what strategies work.

As for ebooks, you should always remember that on day one of the Ipad's launch there was only ONE bookstore app in the App Store-Ibooks. It was only AFTER the Ipad proved a smashing success that the other booksellers came in. They weren't as altruistic as you all seem to believe. Now that they're in, its clear they WANT to stay in , even if it means dancing to Apple's tune.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #97
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
True, and they would have sold at lot fewer iPads. You have a some other plausible theory about why they allowed third party vendors to sell goods through their platform?

Is Amazon bullying Apple and other booksellers by not allowing them to sell books or download content on Kindles? Yes, Amazon is no better than Apple by using a proprietary DRM scheme. No rebuttal from me on that one, point stonetools
Well, either ereader apps are essential to Ipad's success or they aren't. You can't have it both ways. You should understand that it was only AFTER it was clear that the Ipad was a runaway success that Amazon and the other booksellers jumped on board.
Quite frankly, if you look at the Top Ten free apps in the App Store, there is consistently only one ereader app there- Ibooks.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #98
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Ok you were on a streak. You should have left well enough alone.

Quote:
People are in fact adapting to the new rules.
Because they have to.

Sure it's a business decision, a bad one. You think because its a business decision that makes it a good decision?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #99
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Well, Kobo may have pulled its store, but it doesn't look like the battle is over.

From PR Newswire:

Quote:
TORONTO, July 26, 2011/PRNewswire/ -- Following recent App Storepolicy changes imposed by Apple, Kobo, a global leader in eReading with over 4 million readers worldwide, announced today that development is underway on an HTML5 eReading web app. With the development of the HTML5 app, Kobo will continue to provide the most optimized experience for iOS users and users on other Kobo platforms.

Kobo is dedicated to an open-platform experience and believes that consumers should have the freedom to read on any device, at anytime, anyplace in the world. With the new HTML5 web app, Kobo remains committed to open solutions and extends eReading capabilities to a platform that can be quickly enhanced and updated with the latest eReading features and functionality. Kobo's HTML5 app will not replace the company's existing apps, but extend its read-across-any-device strategy to reach a broader set of users and add additional value for their current customer base.
Also sourced on Fast Company, see: http://www.fastcompany.com/1769237/k...to-spite-apple
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #100
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Ok you were on a streak. You should have left well enough alone.

Because they have to.

Sure it's a business decision, a bad one. You think because its a business decision that makes it a good decision?
(Shrug)

All of content providers affected by the rules change have complied. Clearly, they think it's good business for them to remain on Ios platform. Are you saying that you know better they do how to make money at their business?
Netflix has been on the Ios platform since very early, and has been thriving. They have NEVER had a "Subscribe" button or a way to sign up for their service in their app.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #101
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Well, Kobo may have pulled its store, but it doesn't look like the battle is over.

From PR Newswire:

Also sourced on Fast Company, see: http://www.fastcompany.com/1769237/k...to-spite-apple
Well, great. Amazon also is working on a web app, and is indeed coming out with its own tablet. All this means more competition and choices for consumers. We'll see what works best.

Of course, Kobo has its own dedicated reader device, and it doesn't allow any other bookseller to push their product on its device. Yep, Kobo is just full of "openness".
Old 07-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #102
fbrII
F. BluDevil

(Shrug)

Back at ya, brother. We agree to disagree
Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #103
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Of course, Kobo has its own dedicated reader device, and it doesn't allow any other bookseller to push their product on its device. Yep, Kobo is just full of "openness".
It's an eink device that plays nicely with drm free ePUBs, PDFs, html, and a variety of formats along with books with Adobe Adept ADE, regardless of where they are purchased. I have no problem buying via USB from Sony, for example.

Surely you cannot be comparing a single use device with an iOS phone or Tablet--apples (no joke) and oranges. If Kobo releases a tablet and you can only buy Kobo books on it, then we will have something to talk about.

Last edited by taming; 07-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #104
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It's an eink device that plays nicely with drm free ePUBs, PDFs, html, and a variety of formats along with books with Adobe Adept ADE, regardless of where they are purchased. I have no problem buying via USB from Sony, for example.

Surely you cannot be comparing a single use device with an iOS phone or Tablet--apples (no joke) and oranges. If Kobo releases a tablet and you can only buy Kobo books on it, then we will have something to talk about.
My problem here is that I don't know where it is written that it is just fine and dandy for eink devices to be closed, whereas tablets MUST be completely open to all. Please link to this commandment . Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #105
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
You can load and read non-Kobo epubs on their Apple app. Seems pretty open to me.

And I haven't tried it myself, but I think I've read that others have used the Kobo Touch's web browser to visit and buy from non-Kobo ebook sites. I know I can sideload non-Kobo books via the browser if I set up Calibre on my desktop to act as a server. Of course, as we all know, e-ink web browsers don't deliver the best shopping experience, but it can be done.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote