Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #196
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Wow! 10 years?! That's amazing

My favourite part of the forum right now (it varies!) is Reading recommendations
I pick up so many good reading tips from there!
How it ca nget better? Hmmm... I think it's pretty good the way it is... but I guess maybe a couple of subforums might make it even better. "Might", I can't say it's something I've really thought about.

Raise your glass for the next 10 years, folks! Cheers!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #197
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I like the Sigil subforum most because I learned a lot there already.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #198
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch
My favorite section is Kindle Developer's Corner - a) there is many very skilled people; b) the hacks and enhancements for the kindle being developed there are in one word brilliant
Enhance? well there was discussion about adding kindle paperwhite label but i think this will get sorted soon ... and about the section in general - i wouldn't change anything that is working so nicely
EDIT: maybe if there would be the possibility to add more than one label to topic - it would be nice ... since some topics are both K5, KPW .. or even K3 related

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I wish you to stay with us for at least another 10years or better 100years - big thank to every moderator, administrator or other person that keeps this site running

Last edited by aranwe; 11-04-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #199
1094Jacob
Amateur Radio Extra Class
1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1094Jacob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi
My favorite place is the Kindle Developers Corner, lots of great hacks for my Kindle 3. Happy Birthday!!! And thanks for the giveaway!!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #200
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Happy tenth anniversary!

My favourite section is the book clubs. I've had a lot of fun getting new books to read and discussing them with others.

How I think it could be better...I suppose it would be nice if the book clubs had more visibility; they seem kind of tucked away and I have a feeling some people don't know about them or forget about them.

Here's to another great ten years!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #201
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
Wow, ten years? And my own account is more than 3.5 years old already? Duh..

My favorite section is the Amazon Kindle and the developer subsection it includes. It's always inspiring to see what people do with their Kindles; one time it made me use the Kindle (via a webserver run on the computer, if I recall correctly) as an additional screen that I used to display a compiled page of the latex document I was working on.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #202
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android phone, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS 350
Wow, congrats on ten years!

My favorite MobileRead forum section would likely have to be the ePubs part of eBooks formats section. I think that is what first brought me here(a search on how to do something specific in my epub code) and I stayed for all the other cool stuff. The only way I could see it being made better is more thumbnails/examples of what the code does. I love the 'code snippets' topic but really wish all bits of code came with a screenshot of what exactly that code looked like in the epub! Many people do include it but not all and I am a visual person who needs that screenshot to know if that code is one that I would use. I would say a more organized way to show the code would be useful too (so if I have a picture resize issue I can easily find all posts related to it...the search often brings up to many unrelated posts) but I have no idea where to start trying to organize all the information in that one code post, let alone the whole section.
(a close second favorite forum section would be the Reading Recommendations)

Thanks for the contest, and for such a great community!
Old 11-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #203
Taschenbuch
Taschenbuch began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 622
My favorite is the german PocketBook-Forum <https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212>.
It has a good connection to the developers.

Best wishes.
Taschenbuch
Old 11-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #204
ewy
Connoisseur
ewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud ofewy has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 WiFi
Congratulations!
I don't remember when I started reading electronically - my first device was a monochrome Palm m105. Loved it, but reading wasn't as comfortable as an eInk Display :-)
My favourite section is the German forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159 - I like it because it was the first community I got in touch with for detailed information about eReaders. What do I miss there? A subforum for eBooks - beside all the technical platform differences (which are worth talking about!) it would be great to have a joint part just for talking about the content we're consuming.

Greetings,
Christian
Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #205
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
My favorite section is the Amazon Kindle section, since I am a Kindle user! It is great because it offers a place for both discussion and support. IMO it could be made better by reinstating the Accessories subforum.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #206
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
My favorite section changes over time.
At the beginning it was discussion about the brand-new, state-of-the-art, newfangled technology called e-ink. Only one reader in the world featured that - the Sony Librié.
Later when I purchased Sony Reader PRS-500, it was forum about hacking of PRS-500 and, of course, libprs500 - the Calibre predecessor.
A few years later I have purchased PocketBook reader and we had great time on PocketBook forum.
Nowadays, I usually go to the main page at www.mobileread.com and check "the latest activity" several times a day. I also check all my subscribed threads.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #207
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Mein bevorzugter Aufenthaltsort ist die Patricia-Clark-Gedächtis-Bibliothek. Dort findet sich eine vielzahl für mich interessanter Bücher; sowohl klassische Literatur, als auch Abenteuer- und Reiseliteratur. Entgegen der Ansicht manch englischsprachiger Teilnehmer habe ich nicht den Eindruck, dass die deutschsprachige Bibliothek ausgeglichener oder gar umfangreicher als die englischsprachige sei. Im Gegenteil, ich blicke mit Erstaunen auf das, was dort zusammengetragen wurde. Und das bereits vor Jahren, als ich mobile Lesegeräte und ihre Möglichkeiten noch gar nicht zur Kenntnis genommen habe..

Vorschläge zur Verbesserung habe ich unmittelbar keine. Es würde mir nur gefallen, wenn es eine Suchfunktion gäbe, die sich ausschliesslich auf die Bände der Bibliothek beschränken würde. Wie andere Teilnehmer bereits beschrieben haben nutze auch ich eher eine externe Suchmaschine statt der foreninternen Suchfunktion um ein Werk zu finden, da das für mich einfacher ist.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #208
alee
Connoisseur
alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
My favorite forum section is
Deals, Freebies, and Resources
because it helps me find good ebooks for low prices, or for free. I don't really know how you could make it better, unless you can make an engine that can keep track of which of the posted deals and freebies continue to be available, or which ones have also turned up from other vendors than the one originally found (none of which really belong as features of a forum.)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #209
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Always an avid reader, I picked up an ebook reader once I moved away from my home country - there was no way to relocate my book collection, and with the amount of -free!- books available, there was no need to!

I have always been a fan of reading "classical" literature. Back home, I would go and buy books from Penguin Classics for a small price. With the purchase of my ebook reader, now they are free and immediately available. I doubt I will ever get to read all the books I want to! Hence my favorite forum would have to be the Patricia-Clark-Library. I most cherish the fact that I can find works in my mother tongue that are not available anywhere else in the internet, and in beautiful format. I am cautious most other, non-forum based libraries for that reason.

Summa summarum, this forum is my preferred place to come for ebooks, and to read about what others read. Kudos to the forum, and the users that keep it running and generate content and ebooks!

Pismire
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #210
camtosh
Enthusiast
camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo touch
In the 1990s, I was a tech writer for a vendor company for IBM, where desktop PCs were the next big thing. One engineer showed me a clunky handheld box that he said was a prototype for an e-reader they were experimenting with.... meh, I had my doubts. Who would want to give up paper to squint at a green screen?
But ffwd to e-ink and my Kobo Touch--now I can't live without it!
Mobilereads was invaluable after I bought my KT this summer. I had just got used to the thing when the firmware was updated to a very buggy one. Many kind souls on the Kobo forums pointed me to the down-version files, and instructions to load, and soon I was happily reading without slow page turns.
Since then, I have also found plenty of free books to read on the epubs download forums. I am also especially glad to have heard about Hugh Howey and his Wool Omnibus, which I bought from Amazon and read on my iPhone Kindle app. I am reading way more than I was on paper, so what they say about the move to ebooks is true: people will read lots more if they can do so on their handy devices.
And a great big hug to KOVID GOYAL and his Calibre software that keeps my library all in order. Lastly, thanks to everyone on Mobilereads who posts with tips, advice and how-tos for us newbies. Humbly appreciated. The Deals and Freebies forums are wonderful too. thanks everyone! Now trying to choose whether to buy a Glo or a Paperwhite for me son this Christmas....

ps: Congratulations on your first decade, Mobilereads! May there be many more.

Last edited by camtosh; 11-05-2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: add ps!
Closed Thread