Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
More info plus screenshots are at Barnes & Noble.

I'm getting it to add to my collection of ebook readers on the iPhone. I think I'm more into collecting ebook readers than collecting books.
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this just eReader rebranded?
I thought so at first, but it seems they have at least added some features. For instance, eReader has had a dictionary lookup for years, but according to B&N, their reader includes "Lookup function for dictionary, Wikipedia or Google."

Also, the FAQ indicates "Barnes & Noble.com has partnered with Google Books to bring you half a million public domain titles for free." I doubt they managed to mass convert all those to eReader format. I thought the google books were supposed to be in EPUB format. Could this be the eReader with EPUB support we heard about some time back?

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
Also, the FAQ indicates "Barnes & Noble.com has partnered with Google Books to bring you half a million public domain titles for free." I doubt they managed to mass convert all those to eReader format. I thought the google books were supposed to be in EPUB format.
Why not? With Google's resources, it's not hard at all to convert from one text-based format to another. It takes Calibre just a few seconds to convert from LIT to EPUB and that's on an Atom 330. I would think that Google would have it easier. Heck, they probably don't even have to convert from EPUB to eReader. They probably have the originals/source files stored in DocBook or some proprietary format which would make automated conversion to any other format easy. It's certainly not as if they're lacking the space to store multiple copies.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this just eReader rebranded?
I donwloaded the program last night and it is just eReader rebranded. In fact, I have one book I bought from FictionWise in their Secure eReader format (ugh!) and it made me reenter the Name/CreditCardNumber used to activate the book in FictionWise's eReader program, but then it opened right up in the B&N eReader. Same tool, different color scheme, etc. to make it look like B&N (green and white).
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Why not? With Google's resources, it's not hard at all to convert from one text-based format to another. It takes Calibre just a few seconds to convert from LIT to EPUB and that's on an Atom 330. I would think that Google would have it easier. Heck, they probably don't even have to convert from EPUB to eReader. They probably have the originals/source files stored in DocBook or some proprietary format which would make automated conversion to any other format easy. It's certainly not as if they're lacking the space to store multiple copies.
I remember reading somewhere that Ereader was working on implementing Epub compatibility in their Reader. So probably no will be conversion is needed...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Ereader was working on implementing Epub compatibility in their Reader. So probably no will be conversion is needed...
Yes, they're working on EPUB support but B&N FAQ mentioned the ebooks available for purchase were in .pdb format.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #22
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
That's a lot of hyperbole without much to back it up. Revolution? What part of this is a revolution? What part isn't doing what other apps have already been doing?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #23
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Maybe it is a revolution for those people who have YET to discover that there are ebooks/ereaders out there. I know a lot who say, "what is that" when I have my 505 out. (Usually the same people who say, "Virtual school? What is that?" when they hear where I work.)

But after d/l and running, I agree--NOT revolutionary in the ebook/ereader industry.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Has anyone tried downloading a sample and then deleting it? I deleted a book sample I didn't care for, then every time I open the app again (while connected to the net), there it is again.
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #25
philippd
Connoisseur
philippd doesn't litterphilippd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
you have to delete it from your online library because the iphone synchronises it each time you launch the app. But you can disable this in the settings.
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #26
akira28
Nameless Being

It seems to function the just about the same as eReader except B&N seems very slow. Both of these apps are useless to me because making any kind of swipe on the screen brings up the menu bars on the top and bottom, covering up a good part of the text.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #27
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippd View Post
you have to delete it from your online library because the iphone synchronises it each time you launch the app. But you can disable this in the settings.
Thanks philippd! I'm so used to Amazon's not allowing you to delete anything from your online library that I never realized I could do that. Problem solved.
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #28
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

B&N is already starting badly in my view. I permit their 'sale spam' to go to a throw-away email that I only occasionally look at. This morning, while cleaning it out, I noticed a online 20% sale coupon and thought about using it to buy an ebook from their new store. But NOOOOO....the 'View Details' link made it clear it couldn't be applied on ebooks:

"Online Coupon P3N9L8M Details:

For each customer, this coupon can be redeemed once at online at bn.com.

This coupon is valid from July 23, 2009 to July 28, 2009 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time.

The 20% discount will be applied to the most expensive eligible item in the order - not the entire purchase - and will be deducted after all other discounts, including (if applicable) the standard Member discount, are applied.

Additional Rules Governing Use of this Coupon: This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and online Gift Certificates); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates, gift-wrapping, textbooks, eBooks, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, shipping or handling expenses, or products marked as "not eligible for Member discounts, coupons or promotional discounts;" (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the bn.com website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); and (v) may not be combined with any other coupon. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble retail stores or Barnes & Noble College Bookstores. Void where prohibited by law.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #29
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Both of these apps are useless to me because making any kind of swipe on the screen brings up the menu bars on the top and bottom, covering up a good part of the text.
How does that make it useless? Do you constantly swipe your finger across the screen as you read? Just curious.

In settings you can change the gesture for turning a page from tap to swipe. That turns the menu reveal action to a tap instead. Not sure if that helps. Stanza drives me nuts because half the time I tap the screen to turn the page it brings up the menu instead. I prefer having two different types of actions.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #30
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader

B&N eReader v1.0.1 available

I just opened the B&N eReader app on my computer and was notified that an update was available.

New in Version 1.0.1
Faster downloading times
Improved integration with your Online eBooks Library