Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
dodgeqwe
dodgeqwe began at the beginning.

Device: none
Aspire One Users please help!!!

hi friends,

i want to buy a net book solely for pdf ebook reading purpose.i want to read ebooks with much pics and text like Dummies series, books on graphic softwares rather than plain text reading. i wud read it in portrait mode.

so my question is Is acer aspire one enuf for my purposes?? can i read pdf ebooks like dummies series with illustrations clearly in 8.9 inch screen in portrait mode CLEARLY????or shud i wait for 10.2 inch version of aspire one???.please send me your suggestions based on ur experience with aspire one. Thankyou
dodgeqwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeqwe View Post
hi friends,

i want to buy a net book solely for pdf ebook reading purpose.i want to read ebooks with much pics and text like Dummies series, books on graphic softwares rather than plain text reading. i wud read it in portrait mode.

so my question is Is acer aspire one enuf for my purposes?? can i read pdf ebooks like dummies series with illustrations clearly in 8.9 inch screen in portrait mode CLEARLY????or shud i wait for 10.2 inch version of aspire one???.please send me your suggestions based on ur experience with aspire one. Thankyou
I did a lot of research on the Netbook and settled on my final two. The Aspire one and the ASUS eee PC 1000HA at similar prices for the large battery, Win XP, large disk versions. I finally went with the ASUS model. Here is what tipped my selection.

I looked at them in the store and the 10" device looked better and the larger keyboard was definitely easier to use. The resolution is the same. I think I could live with the 8.9" screen although the Aspire has more glare but the keyboard made the difference for me.

Both has 1 Gig of memory, the Aspire one has 512 built in and a single slot with 512 in it. The slot memory can be expanded to 1 Gig resulting in 1.5 Gig overall. The eee has a single slot with a 1 Gig card but can be replaced with a 2 Gig card. If you ever want to upgrade the eee is better. the card slot is much easier to get to on the eee.

I wanted the larger battery on both and they both have one. The specs on the eee show a longer life but in actual practice I don't know which is better. The Aspire is lighter with its big battery than the eee which ends up at 3.2 lbs.

Both has similar XP capabilities although the driver on the eee permitted rotating the screen if 4 orientations. This seemed like a big plus for eBook reading using the portrait mode. I haven't been able to determine if the Aspire supports a portrait mode. The one I looked at in the store seemed not to.

The eee is currently on sale at JR.com. The the Asus Netbook with Windows XP $379 with free shipping and after rebate.

I like the two memory card slots in the Aspire and they are more capable but the slot in the eee is good enough. It supports SDHC cards.

Otherwise the two units have similar features. I went with the eee.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I will go for ASUS EEE PC.

Btw, if you have time to wait, you may want to wait for the product launch of Sony on next month (9 Jan), it maybe a netbook... but I don't have any more information yet..
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote