Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #91
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I foresee difficulties here, with each developer using what their Linux distribution **thinks** they should have (usually qemu-kvm, not qemu).

Let us see if we can out-smart the distribution planners ...
How I built the current release:
Spoiler:

core2quad BLDS $ wget http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-1.1.1.tar.bz2
core2quad BLDS $ tar --extract --file=qemu-1.1.1.tar.bz2
core2quad BLDS $ cd qemu-1.1.1

(grep DESTDIR Makefile -- yes, it uses it)
(./configure --help -- default is build everything)
(yes -- it supports out-of-tree builds)

core2quad qemu-1.1.1 $ cd ..
core2quad BLDS $ mkdir qemu111 qemubld
core2quad BLDS $ cd qemubld
core2quad qemubld $ ../qemu-1.1.1/configure --prefix=/opt/qemu111 --audio-drv-list="oss alsa" --audio-card-list="ac97 ex1370 sb16 cs4231a adlib gus hda" --target-list="arm-softmmu arm-linux-user armeb-linux-user"
core2quad qemubld $ make
core2quad qemubld $ DESTDIR=/home/mszick/BLDS/qemu111 make install

core2quad qemu111 $ pwd
/home/mszick/BLDS/qemu111
core2quad qemu111 $ sudo chown -R root:root opt
core2quad qemu111 $ cd opt
core2quad opt $ sudo tar --create --gzip --file=../qemu-1.1.1-arm.tar.gz *

Download the attached tar-ball.

Installation:
core2quad ~ $ sudo tar -C /opt --extract --file=qemu-1.1.1-arm.tar.gz
core2quad ~ $ /opt/qemu111/bin/qemu-system-arm --version
QEMU emulator version 1.1.1, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

To activate:
core2quad ~ $ export PATH=/opt/qemu111/bin:$PATH
core2quad ~ $ qemu-system-arm --help
- - - lots of output snipped away - - -

Test run:
Spoiler:

core2quad ~ $ cd ~/BLDS/system-image-armv6l
core2quad system-image-armv6l $ ./dev-environment.sh
No distccd in $PATH, acceleration disabled.
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
(Makes note: need to put that into the HOST file system.)
audio: Failed to create voice `lm4549.out'
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
Booting Linux on physical CPU 0
Type exit when done.
(armv6l:1) /home # (Enter: ctrl-a c)
(armv6l:1) /home # QEMU 1.1.1 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu) info version
(qemu) info roms
addr=00000000 size=0x00001c mem=ram name="bootloader"
addr=00010000 size=0x15ee58 mem=ram name="zImage"
(qemu) info chardev
parallel0: filename=null
serial0: filename=stdio
serial0-base: filename=stdio
(qemu) info status
VM status: running
(qemu) (Enter ctrl-a c) (Enter 'return key' to get prompt back)
(armv6l:1) /home # exit
Restarting system.
core2quad system-image-armv6l $

NOTE: If your host filesystem does not have a /dev/dsp device:
sudo mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3
But since most /dev file trees are now on tmpfs, this will go away with the next reboot.
It will probably vary from distribution to distribution how best to make this device always present. For now, left as a: "student exercise".

I would like to hear some feedback from others on this build, but it ran well enough for me to create the following static linked applications.
Only: IWFM isn't strong enough to be publicizing it yet.

Hmm not sure what I did wrong:

I followed the instructions to the letter.

/opt/qemu111/bin/qemu-system-arm: error while loading shared libraries: libasound.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Have to sort it tomorrow now. guess I foofed something somehow : )

Although: Installation:

Wasn't enormously hard to follow so perhaps it's in another step.

This simply further resolves me that I should build a virgin system.

I'll have a another pop tomorrow.

: )

EDIT: Perhaps this only works for 32 bit systems?

Either way I'll build from source and share.

Last edited by twobob; 07-17-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added one thought?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #92
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hmm not sure what I did wrong:

I followed the instructions to the letter.

/opt/qemu111/bin/qemu-system-arm: error while loading shared libraries: libasound.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Have to sort it tomorrow now. guess I foofed something somehow : )

Although: Installation:

Wasn't enormously hard to follow so perhaps it's in another step.

This simply further resolves me that I should build a virgin system.

I'll have a another pop tomorrow.

: )

EDIT: Perhaps this only works for 32 bit systems?

Either way I'll build from source and share.
Yes it was built on a 32-bit system.
Just follow the steps in the "spoiler" on a 64-bit system.

Those should be complete, what I do is cut&paste the actual commands into a text editor as I use them. So other than obvious changes (pathname to home directory, etc) that list of commands should "just work".

I do these build postings this way, just so that others can duplicate (or correct) what I have done (see first thread post for more words on this).

Last edited by knc1; 07-18-2012 at 02:14 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #93
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

64 bit version.

Quote:
Yes it was built on a 32-bit system.
Just follow the steps in the "spoiler" on a 64-bit system.
Spoiler:

Those should be complete, what I do is cut&paste the actual commands into a text editor as I use them. So other than obvious changes (pathname to home directory, etc) that list of commands should "just work".

I do these build postings this way, just so that others can duplicate (or correct) what I have done (see first thread post for more words on this).
My thoughts on this:
Spoiler:
I assumed you might say that - and last night went ahead and did all those steps already (ever the keen student.) I did not however "sudo tar -C /opt --extract --file=qemu-1.1.1-arm.tar.gz" until you gave me the green light now.

Just to be clear this is the 64 BIT version...
[Attached.]

Here's my output:

bash-4.1$ sudo tar -C /opt --extract --file=qemu-1.1.1-arm.tar.gz
bash-4.1$ /opt/qemu111/bin/qemu-system-arm --version

So happy days the 64 bit one seems initially to be a possiblity.
NOTES ON 64 BIT
Spoiler:
Whether or not you [ yes - you - future reader of this thread] want to go down this seemingly-filled-with-horrors 64 bit road, is up to you. I can't say I would recommend it given the choice.

A separate 32 bit system for actually creating the solutions seems far most robust, well-supported, and practical. Just saying.

anyways. 64 bit Slackware build attached.
HTH.

ensure you have read the previous threads on this subject -
This probably is not the version you want..
You have been warned...

Installation:

To activate:
core2quad ~ $ export PATH=/opt/qemu111/bin:$PATH

Let's just check:

bash-4.1$ /opt/qemu111/bin/qemu-system-arm --version

And just double check

bash-4.1$ qemu-system-arm --version
(by not using the direct path we are assuring that the "generally available" reference to qemu-system-arm is indeed the version we want...call me paranoid)

(I.E simply follow the instructions for the 32 bits version - this is just a copy of the threads above.

read up - as in - the previous threads would be my advice before blindly choosing this 64 bit version )
Attached Files
File Type: gz qemu-1.1.1-arm.tar.gz (5.48 MB, 211 views)

Last edited by twobob; 07-18-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added extry deets and also more clearly identified the usage of personal pronoun
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #94
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My posting style evolved over time.
Grabbing the Aboriginal Linux build may not have been as clear.
But that isn't host bit-size sensitive - it is three shell scripts and everything else is ARMv6l - which your freshly built QEMU will be providing.

Someday, we should probably add {32bit|64bit} to the archive names.
And probably will, when they get moved to the KeK server and listed in the KeK manual.

Would be nice to get some feedback on the builds from users before that, all we know now is that:
My 32bit works on my 32bit Linux and doesn't work on a 64bit Linux.

I don't have any idea if there should be a "minimum number" of "it worked for me" reports before posting them.
People who grab stuff "off the web" just don't seem to bother saying: "Thanks, it worked".
Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #95
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
People who grab stuff "off the web" just don't seem to bother saying: "Thanks, it worked".
Sort of like the one-percent of the "simple debricking" downloaders that end up in the "success reports" list.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #96
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
read up - as in - the previous threads would be my advice before blindly choosing this 64 bit version )
Good advice.
The "key" posts in this thread are already in the "tools index".

But users really should read the context that lead up to any build posted here. Those posts are our only Q.A. department reports.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #97
twobob

I just wanted to say THANKS on behalf of us - the great unwashed and quietly spoken - for all your efforts and access to your great tools.

Only today have I actually managed to FINALLY even open the http://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html page. Ridiculous really.

Tomorrow - with a following wind - I may actually get a chance to do an end to end - 32 bit.
I have 80Gb all tidy and waiting for it.

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #98
knc1
Going Viral

M4-1.4.16-uClibc

Here is one fairly common requirement that isn't in our emulated development environment.

Note: Since only /home is writable - the dev environment is growing a /home/bin, /home/lib, /home/share, etc. sets of sub-trees.

Build notes:
Spoiler:

(armv6l:1) m4-1.4.16 # export PATH=/home/bin:/bin:/sbin

(armv6l:1) /home # cd work
(armv6l:1) work # mkdir m4
(armv6l:1) work # cd m4
(armv6l:1) m4 # wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.16.tar.gz
Connecting to ftp.gnu.org (208.118.235.20:80)
(armv6l:1) m4 # tar -xf m4-1.4.16.tar.gz
(armv6l:1) m4 # cd m4-1.4.16
(armv6l:1) m4-1.4.16 # ./configure --prefix=/home
(armv6l:1) m4-1.4.16 # make
(armv6l:1) m4-1.4.16 # make install
(armv6l:1) m4-1.4.16 # mkdir /home/m4-1.4.16
(armv6l:1) m4-1.4.16 # DESTDIR=/home/m4-1.4.16 make install
(armv6l:1) m4-1.4.16 # cd /home/m4-1.4.16/home
(armv6l:1) home # tar -czf ../m4-1.4.15-armv6-uclibc.tar.gz .
(armv6l:1) home # cp -a bin/m4 ..
(armv6l:1) home # cd ..
(armv6l:1) home # strip --strip-unneeded m4
(armv6l:1) m4-1.4.16 # gzip m4

Installation:
Put archive in /home
tar -xf m4-1.4.16-armv6-uclibc.tar.gz
You are now done with that archive, toss it if you wish.
OR
Put m4.gz into /home/bin
Then gunzip it.

Once again, the file in the complete archive has not been stripped;
The single gzip'd file has been stripped of symbols.

If anyone has not been keeping track, our "dev environment supplement" count is now five items:
Code:
core2quad hdb $ ls bin
bin2c  m4  strace  tcc  xz
Attached Files
File Type: gz m4-1.4.16-armv6-uclibc.tar.gz (395.2 KB, 402 views)
File Type: gz m4.gz (92.0 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by knc1; 07-20-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #99
twobob

Having now got a moment to actually look rather than just GRAB, I note the build notes are looking a lot more slimline these days.

You made that one look positively easy.
Bah, must set aside time to do full rebuild - grumble grumble.

*goes off and vicariously ogles the Kek repo again*
Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #100
twobob

Annoyingly I have been outsmarted by a website.

How do I sign up for minimodding.com again??? Cheers, thought I would have a bit of a dig around and see if I missed anything juicy.

Cheers
Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #101
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Having now got a moment to actually look rather than just GRAB, I note the build notes are looking a lot more slimline these days.

You made that one look positively easy.
Bah, must set aside time to do full rebuild - grumble grumble.

*goes off and vicariously ogles the Kek repo again*
Those are just a distillation of the things which worked.
In-between the lines might be hours of work.

I will turn the "registration" box back on for a few hours - it will be at the top of the right side bar.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #102
knc1
Going Viral

After: RTFM

I can do without Perl - if I don't run the test programs against the new glibc.

But Aboriginal Linux binutils and gcc are too old to build glibc-2.16.0 ...
So first I need to build a new binutils-uclibc and a new gcc-uclibc before I can build a new glibc, against which I will build a new binutils-glibc and gcc-glibc.

Hmm...
Just so all of these (emulated) computer cycles don't go to complete waste:
a gcc-4.6-uClibc and a gcc-4.7-glibc (both with the most recent binutils release).

Will use the gcc-linaro project gcc sources, since those are specifically maintained for ARM. (and the binutils project current release, the linaro binutils is getting a bit old.)

I should have some miles on our gemu-1.1.1 build by the time I get done.
So far, only one (non-fatal) problem - the qemu scsi driver does not support one of the commands the kernel-v3.4.0 is issuing.

Note: The emulator is coming up with 256Mbyte of ram, without swap, same as a Kindle.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #103
twobob

Quote:
Those are just a distillation of the things which worked.
In-between the lines might be hours of work.

I will turn the "registration" box back on for a few hours - it will be at the top of the right side bar.
Okay thanks I will have a look
Old 07-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #104
knc1
Going Viral

KeK resource update

The resource pool at http://KnetConnect.com/KeK has just been extended to include:

gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabi-2012.03-20120326_src.tar.bz2 (current gcc-4.6)
gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-2012.06-20120625_src.tar.bz2 (current gcc-4.7)
binutils-2.22.tar.bz2
glibc-2.16.0.tar.xz
glibc-ports-2.16.0.tar.bz2
None of which are (yet) indexed by the Appendix B of the KeK manual.

Now to give our KeK emulator environment a big dose of "upgrade".

(And the combination had better "auto-vectorize" for arm-vfp vectors!)

Last edited by knc1; 07-20-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #105
twobob

I don't suppose you have a holy grail in there do you?

Having a serious crisis of tools at the moment. Thinking about going for that 32 bit build.

What say you? Abo linux? Just go Slackware? Something else?

Have an external drive with 80gb of space.

Really asking if the - "jebazz dumazz, just do this" - guide is existent yet.

Don't take this as any kind of indication or nudge that it should be - or that it even is planned to exist - I'm just asking what seems like an obvious question.

I'll go plough the docs and top post again to make sure I'm up to speed.

Thanks, I guess i am just asking for the big lumps

1) Install OS type blah - Use FS type blah - and some swap - go 32 bit - latest/dev/specific version is a good choice.

2) Do this other thing described in a macro way

3) do the microbits described in KEK appendices.

3) install the list of stuff here using their individual docs: Kek things

4) Build awesome static linked programs that don't trash at the first hint of use.

that kinda thing.