Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
gonatgo
gonatgo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo not charging?

Hello
I got a Kobo on April 16 for my birthday. I first charged it for over three hours, and the light never turned blue. I just assumed there was something wrong with the lights. I used it a few times, then it needed to be charged. So I left it charging overnight, again light never turned blue. I didn't use it for a few days and the next time i picked it up it said I needed to charge the battery. Plugged it into my computer and it froze at the start up page. I reset it, but it kept freezing. So on Tuesday I took it back to wear I bought it and got a new one. I just opened my new one last night and decided to charge it right away. Plugged it in and left it charging over night. I woke up this morning and the light is still red and the battery indicator is still at half way. Its now been plugged in for almost 12 hours! Now I'm thinking it's not the Kobo that's not working, it's me or my computer. What would prevent my Kobo from charging? Oh, I also have it on the "manage library" option to charge it.
gonatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
is your computer recognizing the kobo. does it show up in my computer?
if it does then it should charge fine. if you're not seeing the kobo then maybe you're missing a driver and that's where your problem is.

if you have an ipod charger or charger that plugs into the wall, i use my android charger. just plug the usb into that and use the wall charger to see if there's a difference. try eliminating charging spots to see where the problem is.

as for charging out of the box, that's one thing i never did. used straight out of the box for almost a month.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Do you perhaps have your computer going to sleep and the USB port isn't active anymore?
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it possible that the USB port you are using is unpowered? I haven't seen one in a long time, but some USB ports are unable to supply power to the plugged device. If that's the case, you would still be able to mount the Kobo on the computer and transfer books, but the battery would not be charging.

Try charging using another computer, or a cable box, or a PS3/XBOX360. Alternatively, as suggested above, use a USB/AC power converter, which comes with blackberry's, kindles, and other devices. You can buy one for $5-10 at a computer store.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I would suggest you try and use an AC charger, or one of those AC USB adapters. My laptop was not keen on charging the Kobo I had here. It took forever if it worked at all. Plugged the lead into one of those AC/USB thingys and it was charged it a couple of hours! It was like the USB port only worked "on demand", and when just leaving the Kobo idle there was no "demand". Or something like that...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
gonatgo

It is showing up under "my computer". I'm thinking maybe it had to do with my computer going to sleep? The screen saver comes on after 10 minutes so I disabled it to see if that works. I'm not sure if the USB port has trouble charging as I never charge anything else via USB ports. I think I'll try a blackberry charging if nothing happens before I go to work.
When it's plugged in tho and I had it on the 'keep reading' mode the battery icon did show that it was charging.
The only reason I charged right out of the box was to see if it's something wrong with my computer, or the Kobo.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
The USB port shutting down is a distinct possibility, my laptop did that until I changed the power settings in Windows. You can go into the power settings in windows and click on the plan your computer is using, once there you can click on the advanced settings and change how your USB ports act when the computer goes to sleep. Sorry I can't be anymore descriptive than that, but what setting it is or where it is at depends on what version of windows you're running and I think whether it's a laptop or desktop is also different. If you're computer literate at all though it shouldn't be hard to figure out.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
gonatgo

I tried using the USB cable and an ac adaptor to charge my kobo and it worked! The light changed colour and the battery charged. So I'm thinking it's something to do with my laptop. Thank you to whoever suggested using an ac adaptor! I like this way of charging much better than charging with my laptop. I have a feeling it's something to do with the settings on my laptop, it's all set to use energy efficient settings so that must be why it soundly charge
Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm glad you got it working!
I also appreciated hearing I'm not the only one having trouble charging from the computer.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
A few months ago I got a new computer and the energy saving settings were different. It took me ages to work out why my Kobo would charge sometimes (when I was using the computer) and not others (when it went to sleep!)
I was almost ready to take my computer back and complain about the "faulty" USB port when I worked it out.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Wall chargers are so cheap these days and they will charge faster. It is the best way to go. I only use a pc to charge in an emergency or my accident while I happen to have the unit cabled to my computer.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Gerggory
Gerggory began at the beginning.

Device: kob touch
Fixed Kobo wont Charge.

Our Kobo Touch Ereader wasnt charging. I pulled the back panel off and removed the battery, then plugged the Reader in and replaced the battery. Poof it came back to life.

Hope this helps.
Gerggory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerggory View Post
Our Kobo Touch Ereader wasnt charging. I pulled the back panel off and removed the battery, then plugged the Reader in and replaced the battery. Poof it came back to life.

Hope this helps.
I thought the battery wasn't removable. How did you do it?
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I thought the battery wasn't removable. How did you do it?
Not removable (glued on) but the cable detachable.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/wp...uch-inside.png
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Good to know. I thought I was missing something.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote