Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #31
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by justzisguyyknow View Post
Sorry to dig an old thread up -- I know it's bad manners -- but this thread was the reason I joined this forum. I found it looking up info on how to stuff a CF card into my A-11, and Google sent me here. I've ordered a PCMCIA/CF adapter, but I still have one question: is there a limit to the size of a Compact Flash card that an A-11 can access? ...No, make that two questions: what is the limit? (A simple 'yes' answer wouldn't be all that helpful.) I think it may be 1 gig, but then again, I've seen clues that it might be 2 gig. (Or maybe I'm wrong completely and it's waaaay lower -- this is 1997 technology, after all.)
Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone here knew. Then we can lay this moldy, shambling old thread to rest again. Remember: when shooting zombies, aim for the head. If you disable the head, you disable the thread that came back from the dead, thus putting it back to bed.
I have once inserted a borrowed 1GB SD card into a CF adapter and inserted that into PCMCIA adapter and loaded it into my Cassiopeia A11. I was able to open a few text files from the card. I did not have time to try it out. The only thing that interested me back then was if a CF-PCMCIA adapter was useable. I have purchased an old third-hand 32MB CF card. Oh ... THAT was something. The memory size increased 7fold. I was able to allocate all staggering 3.8MB of RAM exclusively to Word (I used that as an e-book reading program). No more splitting text files to 200KB chunks. I was able to load up 30 books. What a luxury!

By the way. After a full hard reset you have to update the firmware. Otherwise your dear Cassiopeia A-11A eats your batteries in a day even when switched off. I was usually able to get up to 11 hours of reading from a pair of 2000mAh NiMH AA accumulators.
I am talking about THE oldest version here. The one that came with MS Windows CE 1.0. The worst OS ever released by MS.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote