Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #18256
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished The Rose and the Thorn by Michael J. Sullivan. Didn't like it as much as The Crown Tower and the rest of the series, but it was still good.

Next up, is Heartless by Gail Carriger.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #18257
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Now on to Robert B. Parker...and Spenser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Ah freebies. After finishing the freebie, Tall Man in Ray-Bans yesterday evening (I had quite enjoyed it) I was all but decided to start reading the very first book of Robert B. Parker's Spenser series since Jim Butcher almost always refers to this series as his favorite and I have never read even one of them nor ever seen any of the 'Spenser for Hire' TV shows. But I got a freebie this morning that appealed to me enough to make it next on my TBR list. From its metadata this paragraph both grabbed and excited me:

A chilling series of deaths strikes a writers' group in New York, leaving the remaining members to face the suspicion - and finally the certainty - that one of them is a psychopathic killer. Is a sequel to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" being played out in their lives?

So, later today I'll beging reading the Amazon freebie, The Muse of Violence by Bruce Hartman.
Quote:
I was half-way through that freebie I got from Amazon, The Muse of Violence and was wondering if I should abandon it and try reading something else instead. So last evening I had Showtime on the TV and a movie started started playing that was called Beautiful Creatures. The title rang a bell in my head and I looked it up in my Calibre ebook library and found Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles #1) by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. I believe I'd added it when the advertising for the movie's release was on TV, maybe six months ago. So this morning I put The Muse of Violence aside and began reading Beautiful Creatures. So far so good!
Quote:
This morning I was 1/4 of the way into Beautiful Creatures and enjoying it. Well, I decided to take a short break to read a Jim Butcher short story that I'd been waiting for. The story takes place between Ghost Story and Cold Days. It's in the new anthology called Dangerous Women by George R.R. Martin and Gardiner Dozois. The name of the short story is BOMBSHELLS! The story is told from Molly Carpenter's viewpoint. I loved it!
I completed reading Beautiful Creatures this morning and as it was highly enjoyable I will be shopping for the next book in this series after Christmas. I really liked BOMBSHELLS as well!

Now I've finally launched into reading that very first book of Robert B. Parker's Spenser series, The Godwulf Manuscript

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #18258
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Summons by John Grisham. Typically great Grisham read.

Next up Three Act Tragedy by Agatha Christie based on recos on this site
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #18259
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Just finished The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly. Excellent. I've read every Harry Bosch, Mickey Haller, Jack McEvoy, and Terry McCaleb book in order of publication, important because of the intertwined history and relationships of the characters in all the series. If you like mysteries, you can't do better than Michael Connelly.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #18260
pinklotus
Enthusiast
pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
How is it? got mine in an audio book sale.
Sorry for the delayed response -- I'm about halfway through it (Hannah Kent's Burial Rites) and I like it a lot so far. Very atmospheric and I'm enjoying the suspense.
pinklotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #18261
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Picked up Pirate King, the eleventh Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes book by Laurie R. King. So far, so good, although I don't think it'll be one of my favourites in the series (but then, not every book can be a favourite).
Hmm, well, actually I think it did end up as one of my favourites, at least of the later books. Very different in mood and tone to the previous books - much lighter - but it worked for me.

No idea yet what to read next. The downside of a massive TBR list...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #18262
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Finished "Telzey Amberdon" by James H. Schmitz. This is the first of a four-book Baen collection of Schmitz's "Hub Federation" stories, and (mostly) features the adventures of the eponymous Telzey Amberdon, a teenage girl. Schmitz is an SF author who was enormously popular in the 1960s and 70s, but almost unknown today, which is a great shame. A very good read.

I originally bought this in April 2000; this is a part of my "read my old Baen ebooks" project.

On next to "Hope Reborn", the first book in the "General" series by S.M. Stirling and David Drake. On a small planet, 1000 years after the collapse of an interstellar civilisation, an ancient sentient battle computer seeks the help of a young man, Raj Whitehall, to unite the planet and rebuild civilisation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #18263
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On next to "Hope Reborn", the first book in the "General" series by S.M. Stirling and David Drake.
Note that this is an omnibus re-issue of The Forge and The Hammer, originally published in 1991 and 1992.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #18264
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Note that this is an omnibus re-issue of The Forge and The Hammer, originally published in 1991 and 1992.
Yes, indeed. Thank you for clarifying that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #18265
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've finally decided to be brave and tackle The Luminaries.

I don't know why, but thick books - and literary books - have felt intimidating in recent years; as a child, I thought nothing of making my way through one serious tome after another, but now it apparently takes weeks of mental preparation.

I am so very happy ebooks exist, though, especially with books that are ~1000 pages in paper...
Old 12-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #18266
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I've finally decided to be brave and tackle The Luminaries.

I don't know why, but thick books - and literary books - have felt intimidating in recent years; as a child, I thought nothing of making my way through one serious tome after another, but now it apparently takes weeks of mental preparation.
I have gotten like that too. Perhaps it is the too many books too little time syndrome.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #18267
Yapyap
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I have gotten like that too. Perhaps it is the too many books too little time syndrome.

Helen
That's a good point. I think for me it's half that, half just mental exhaustion - somehow it was a lot easier, when younger, to spend the day studying and the evening reading something relatively "heavy". Now, most of the time I feel like I can't handle anything that needs above-average focus or thought, because I'm just too tired from a day's work.

At least I do still sometimes get restless and want something a little different to the usual lighter fare.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #18268
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I completed reading Beautiful Creatures this morning and as it was highly enjoyable I will be shopping for the next book in this series after Christmas. I really liked BOMBSHELLS as well!

Now I've finally launched into reading that very first book of Robert B. Parker's Spenser series, The Godwulf Manuscript

Oh, you're going to have fun. The Spenser books vary from quite good to excellent, IMO. Parker's main characters, regardless of which series we're talking about, always have a somewhat strained main love relationship. But Spenser is a good character and the plot is well done. Hawk is way too good to be real, but one doesn't actually care. I've actually been considering a complete reread of the series. But it probably won't happen for a while yet.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #18269
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And, speaking of rereading a series, I've been working my way through the entire Honor Harrington series, including the side series, all in chronological order. It has made me even more aware of how much better and tighter the writing was at the beginning, but I'm still enjoying it even now that I'm no the second to last book, A Rising Thunder.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #18270
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Robert B. Parker & Rysa Walker

Quote:

The Godwulf Manuscript was great! Ok Spenser fans, I'm hooked! Now on to another Amazon Freebie, Timebound by Rysa Walker! It was free under a new Amazon program called:

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote