Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I must admit I know only one version - Harry's - but I never felt the need or urge to search anywhere else for a better one.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Delphi Classics has a complete Conan Doyle collection which has all the Holmes stories. It's overall not bad, but I did notice a few issues with punctuation. Many quotes were facing the wrong way, and it annoyed me. I always split off the Delphi books into smaller ones, so I just replaced the Sherlock Holmes one with HarryT's version.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd go with HaaryT's Omnibus as it's proofed and thus probably the best one out there for no and few errors.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
HarryT's is very good.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Delphi Classics has a complete Conan Doyle collection which has all the Holmes stories. It's overall not bad, but I did notice a few issues with punctuation. Many quotes were facing the wrong way, and it annoyed me. I always split off the Delphi books into smaller ones, so I just replaced the Sherlock Holmes one with HarryT's version.

Delpthi seems to put out many wonderful collections. I own 5 or 6, myself and find them wonderful.

However, they got into a bit of trouble with some of our members due to some shoddy bookkeeping for previously purchased titles.. (Do a search for the thread, please, where that discussion appeared, if any comments need to be made about that issue. Thank you.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
I prefer the omnibus of mmat1. It's easier for me to read german.

Sometimes of cource I also read the englisch originals. But after I feel it's hard work.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #22
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The seashell press has a complete illustrated edition. That is the best version I have come across till now. It is a 38mb huge file (epub/mobi).

They have illustrations from the original strand and has book/magazine covers, maps, pictures of London (then and now), of Conan Doyle, various Sherlock Holmes actors/representations. Expect an image for every couple of pages or so through out. Many of the images are in color. Many stories/novels also come with notes (which are really essays of good length) with even more images/illustrations (800 illustrations in total and 200 in color, to be specific).

They even included the pictures of other items like carriages/villas/pipe etc. through out and images even from Chinese/other editions.

You can find details here: http://www.theseashellpress.com/Sherlock/sherlock.html
Please check the introduction, TOC and sample story and the notes.

Amazon goes here: http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holme.../dp/B0052TAV12 , (only two reviews till now, though both commented it as the best Sherlock Holmes edition.

This is of course the best and most comprehensive edition of Sherlock Holmes ever.

Last edited by iamosam; 07-07-2013 at 10:53 AM.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the one I already mentioned in my opening post for this thread.

Unfortunately, for U.S. residents, that edition is abridged due to copyright reasons.

Don
Old 07-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #24
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I missed that.

Anyways it is available from amazon uk/india and (these versions) also includes the case book of Sherlock Holmes.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's the one I already mentioned in my opening post for this thread.

Unfortunately, for U.S. residents, that edition is abridged due to copyright reasons.

Don
They have similar problems with the old movies (Rathbone & Bruce) I think. 4 of them are PD but the rest aren't or at least aren't available easily at a price that is easily affordable.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
They have similar problems with the old movies (Rathbone & Bruce) I think. 4 of them are PD but the rest aren't or at least aren't available easily at a price that is easily affordable.
I wasn't aware of this. I'm a huge fan of old movies, and I know I've seen all of those at one time or another.

Thanks.

Don
Old 07-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I wasn't aware of this. I'm a huge fan of old movies, and I know I've seen all of those at one time or another.

Thanks.

Don
There's a great DVD box set of all the Basil Rathbone / Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes films available - in the UK at least. I have it and have watched it many times:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherlock-Hol.../dp/B0006M4S46

Highly recommended. All the films have either commentary tracks or commentary subtitles.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's a great DVD box set of all the Basil Rathbone / Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes films available - in the UK at least. I have it and have watched it many times:
It's also available in germany. I bought it this year in a local electronic store.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, Harry.

I'll check into that.

I use to watch all of these old movies with a passion whenever they came on television.

Don
Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Thanks, Harry.

I'll check into that.

I use to watch all of these old movies with a passion whenever they came on television.

Don
Me too. On Saturday mornings it would be either Charlie Chan, Ma and Pa Kettle or the Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies. Hard to believe they only made 14 total. The movies were my 1st introduction to Mr. Holmes as a kid.

Last edited by crich70; 07-10-2013 at 09:23 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote