Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Lightbulb Wine on Arm. Notes and thoughts

Further to my long-ago insane idea of running LCARS 47 on a kindle...

This would - at a minimum require "Wine" to be running on ARM.

I posit that I shall keep an eye on http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...=commit&s=+ARM

More details of the current state of the project are http://wiki.winehq.org/ARM

I am already WAY behind on several projects and playing the eternal catchup game so don't expect quick miracles but would be interested to note other devs and users thoughts on this - even more stupid than my last one - idea. (Aren't they all?)

So yeah. Wine on a kindle. (I used the K5 / PW prefix since the overhead would likely be crippling to the older devices but hey, I'm equal opportunity)

Thoughts.? Derision? Exaltation?

They don't call it an "implausibility of Gnus" for nothing you know
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

wine-doc - Windows API implementation - documentation

root@kindle:/# apt-get install wine-doc
Quote:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
wine-doc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 110 not upgraded.
Need to get 459 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,552 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid/main wine-doc all 1.0.0-1 [459 kB]
Fetched 459 kB in 0s (913 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package wine-doc.
(Reading database ... 23475 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking wine-doc (from .../wine-doc_1.0.0-1_all.deb) ...
Setting up wine-doc (1.0.0-1) ...
Not forever away... Nothing is. Well except forever, obviously
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
twobob

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...l/wine/1.3.37/

I'll have a look at this one day too. I seem to recall some success fudging with the maemo stuff.

CAVEAT: Only ported Windows applications compiled for ARM will work. hmm.. not exactly what I want.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Further to my long-ago insane idea of running LCARS 47 on a kindle...

This would - at a minimum require "Wine" to be running on ARM.

I posit that I shall keep an eye on http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...=commit&s=+ARM

More details of the current state of the project are http://wiki.winehq.org/ARM

I am already WAY behind on several projects and playing the eternal catchup game so don't expect quick miracles but would be interested to note other devs and users thoughts on this - even more stupid than my last one - idea. (Aren't they all?)

So yeah. Wine on a kindle. (I used the K5 / PW prefix since the overhead would likely be crippling to the older devices but hey, I'm equal opportunity)

Thoughts.? Derision? Exaltation?

They don't call it an "implausibility of Gnus" for nothing you know
I think NT-4 was the last release that supported Alpha and MIPS -
But I don't recall it ever being released on ARM.

So there may be a shortage of native Window/ARM applications to run under your Wine.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
[url]CAVEAT: Only ported Windows applications compiled for ARM will work. hmm.. not exactly what I want.
Lots of work, not much benfit. Too bad. Since you got dosbox to work, how about qemu? then you could load a whole OS? or what about MAME? then you could play thousands of games... I would be surprized if you could get any reasonable speed. Just think - Pacman! or Asteroids!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
twobob

hmm. yeah. I'm running LXDE atm on my touch.

I'll have a quick look at xmame. I will did deeper on the wine on arm thingy when the project becomes a bit more mainstream then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_181.png
Views:	379
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	103150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_182.png
Views:	376
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	103151  

Last edited by twobob; 03-19-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Tags
insane, kindle, wine