Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
MSMYTH
MSMYTH began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 600
AMAZON KINDLE BOOKS ON NOOK?

Can you buy a Kindle book from Amazon and have it work on the nook?
MSMYTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not directly no. You'd need to remove the DRM and convert it to an ePub first.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Apprentice Alf's blog for more on DRM. Once DRM-free, use Calibre to convert from Kindle (AZW/MOBI or TOPAZ) to ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
yep good advice, or you can root your nook and install Kindle for Android app on your nook.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
The odd thing about this whole thing is that it benefits Amazon when you do this (you bought an ebook from them instead of someone else), and yet you're breaking the law. Go figure!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
The odd thing about this whole thing is that it benefits Amazon when you do this (you bought an ebook from them instead of someone else), and yet you're breaking the law. Go figure!
I completely agree. Additionally I think SONY TVs should only be capable of playing movies made by sony, laptops with windows should not allow you to change the search enginge from bing. perhaps b&n will get smart this time and will put electronic tracking device on ankles of the people who decide to buy their newest device and there will be a small amount of explosive in it so that the device blows up in faces of people who try to root. that way we will recognize those criminal rooters on the streets by their face burns.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Well, breaking the law depends of the country, it is legal in some places not in others. However, I agree with you in that will benefit Amazon which is not really bad depending of your point of view as user and reader.

Now, regardless of the moral or legal implications, I think would be better to buy a Kindle or a Galaxy Tab instead. Even when rooting, indirectly, B&N is being affected as well; Nook Color was designed to be used on their "own world" and not outside of it. The problem is that the stock Nook Color device is an awful ereader.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Okay, we get that you love to bash Amazon, Apple, and anything not Android. But Amazon cannot control whether your beloved B&N allows the Kindle for Android app to be installed on a stock nookcolor. Perhaps you should shift your anger toward B&N, or try to understand that B&N makes money off of the books they sell to put on the NC, not so much on the NC itself.

So can you load a B&N purchased book on a Kindle? Hmmm, not without stripping the DRM and converting it. Why not bash B&N then?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Okay, we get that you love to bash Amazon, Apple, and anything not Android. But Amazon cannot control whether your beloved B&N allows the Kindle for Android app to be installed on a stock nookcolor. Perhaps you should shift your anger toward B&N, or try to understand that B&N makes money off of the books they sell to put on the NC, not so much on the NC itself.

So can you load a B&N purchased book on a Kindle? Hmmm, not without stripping the DRM and converting it. Why not bash B&N then?
because at least with the nook and nook color you can buy from other outlets without having to convert and jump through hoops.

You buy anthing non amazon, there is a hoop to jump through each time on the kindle.

What I don't understand if you hate BN and the nook so much, why not get rid of it, buy a Kindle, have your life fullfilled, have world wide hunger cured, cancer cured and be on with it.

there is only so much trolling on can take on it's devices sub forum.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
because at least with the nook and nook color you can buy from other outlets without having to convert and jump through hoops.

You buy anthing non amazon, there is a hoop to jump through each time on the kindle.

What I don't understand if you hate BN and the nook so much, why not get rid of it, buy a Kindle, have your life fullfilled, have world wide hunger cured, cancer cured and be on with it.

there is only so much trolling on can take on it's devices sub forum.
I don't hate B&N or the NC. You, and the rest of your cult are so into hating Amazon, Apple, etc. that you think anyone with a thoughful (read intelligent) overview of eBook readers that differs from yours must therefore hate B&N and the NC. That is just narrowminded, not to mention you are projecting. I do hate Apple though, but I'll use their products if they work for me.

What I do hate is corporate bullying like we see with MS, Apple, Amazon, Google, etc. Yes, even your beloved Google. Try using something like Outlook on Android and see the hoops you have to jump through, or the money you have to shell out for the privilege. Try activating Android without a Gmail account or trying to enjoy a tablet without all the built-in cellular stuff which your tablet doesn't need nor has the capacity to use. For all these companies it is ALL about he MONEY. So it disgusts me to see fanboys who are so blindly dedicated to such unscrupulous companies. I'll use their products, but don't expect me to preach the gospel of Google, or of Amazon, or of Apple, etc.

So lay off!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't hate B&N or the NC. You, and the rest of your cult are so into hating Amazon, Apple, etc. that you think anyone with a thoughful (read intelligent) overview of eBook readers that differs from yours must therefore hate B&N and the NC. That is just narrowminded, not to mention you are projecting. I do hate Apple though, but I'll use their products if they work for me.

What I do hate is corporate bullying like we see with MS, Apple, Amazon, Google, etc. Yes, even your beloved Google. Try using something like Outlook on Android and see the hoops you have to jump through, or the money you have to shell out for the privilege. Try activating Android without a Gmail account or trying to enjoy a tablet without all the built-in cellular stuff which your tablet doesn't need nor has the capacity to use. For all these companies it is ALL about he MONEY. So it disgusts me to see fanboys who are so blindly dedicated to such unscrupulous companies. I'll use their products, but don't expect me to preach the gospel of Google, or of Amazon, or of Apple, etc.

So lay off!
I LOVE Amazon, Love them they are second go to for my audio video cables, monoprice.com is my first.
Amazon MP3 has replaced my need for iTunes. Love the MP3 , just need a better checkout.
I'm loving Amazon MP3 Cloud Player
now that I have a Roku, Amazon VOD has replaced Comcast OnDemand.

I order alot of stuff from Amazon, I just think the kindle, IMHO, is the most overated ereader and everyone on here acts like it's the second coming of Christ. I have no idea why.

Apple? It is what it is. Sharp looking products, world class marketing team, it's their fanboys that drive me up a wall. It's very similiar to Bose fan boys going on to audiophile sites and telling them how great Bose is, basically because they have this perception. But any self respecting audio phile just laughs and shakes their heads and the sound Bose and it's overpriced products that couldn't hold a candle to other audio products in terms of pure audio quality.

My point with you is, OK we get it, you hate the nook, why hang out here, sell it, buy a device that makes you happy.
I mean we really don't want to hear how much you think the nook is a POS every single day, every single thread.

it's grown tiresome.

Last edited by boswd; 05-24-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
The problem is that the stock Nook Color device is an awful ereader.
Um....no its not.

In fact tue only reason I have mine rooted is to move files downloaded from Aldikoto the my files/books just so I CAN read on the stock reader. If ut doesn't work for you then fine. B:t its NOT a terrible reader.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Um....no its not.

In fact tue only reason I have mine rooted is to move files downloaded from Aldikoto the my files/books just so I CAN read on the stock reader. If ut doesn't work for you then fine. B:t its NOT a terrible reader.
I agree 100% I think the stock reader and UI is wonderful. But I guess for the ones who need 500 font types and 2,000 margin options. It the worst reader in the World
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Now, regardless of the moral or legal implications, I think would be better to buy a Kindle or a Galaxy Tab instead. Even when rooting, indirectly, B&N is being affected as well; Nook Color was designed to be used on their "own world" and not outside of it. The problem is that the stock Nook Color device is an awful ereader.
This is ridiculous. Rooting the NC does not "affect" B&N; rooting the NC doesn't "affect" anyone except the person rooting it. B&N would LOVE it if every person on earth ditched their Galaxy Tabs, iPads, and so forth to run out and buy an NC to root for their very own.

Also, can we PLEASE not get into the stock reader argument again? I personally do NOT like the NC stock reader, but it's 100% completely a Your Mileage May Vary issue. Can we please learn to make qualified statements like "A lot of people don't like the stock reader" instead of unqualified statements like "The stock reader is terrible"? It just brings out the flame wars.

anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Um....no its not.

Disagree.

And the proof of that are the tons of post and people rooting the NC. The stock device does not really translate to a good stock eareader. Just to give you a few examples reading PDFs with stock app. is horrible, there is no way to remember the last page you read. The most recent firmware upgrade (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) did not fix or allow you to read landscape, that's so basic.

And those are just a few. For a device which is being locked (no Android acces by default) and marketed as an ereader, that's unacceptable, at least for me. Most eink readers do landscape and they are cheaper.

By the way, I do not really want to start another useless debate about NC vs Galaxy Tab or iPad or whatever. I've noticed that people on this particular forum is not tolerant to critics or comments and take things personal, so I won't make additional comment or talk about something that is really obvious, like the stock NC.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-24-2011 at 12:13 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote