Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2022, 09:01 PM   #76
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-p{3} View Post
Just discovered this today, that will definitely reignite my use of the Glo HD!

One feature I use often from the stock firmware is Pocket, is there some kind of integration there as well?

Thanks!
There isn't any (yet).
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:55 AM   #77
qubolino
qubolino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Mac OSX
i just came accross this. i will install it today
is there a simple way to add new software on it?
qubolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 12:06 AM   #78
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are KoBox extensions (look at previous posts for install instructions).
You can also SSH to it, but that requires rooting and making the root filesystem read-write.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:13 AM   #79
qubolino

Thanks.
I did seamlessly install 1.5 (latest available for mini…?) on my mini.
I am struggling a bit with a couple of things:
- for most apps the only way back I found is to reboot with the button in the back
- I can’t find where to configure wifi
- therefore I cant telnet nor ssh nor do anything

My goal is to ultimately create a python/pygame app. This doesn’t sound out of reach but still not straightforward. I imagine one way would be to emulate the image, work on it, then burn it to sd…?
Not sure how to run the emulator though.

PS: merci! amazing work

Last edited by qubolino; 05-13-2022 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:40 AM   #80
qubolino

i did manage to run the emulator iso in vmware but in failsafe only. otherwise it freezes at boot screen
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #81
NiMa
Evangelist

You should really update to 1.9
Follow instructions in main post.
A lot of things have been fixed since then

To SSH you need to reset as root: reboot the mini, as soon as the green light starts flashing you need to slide the power button multiple times then wait for diagnostics system to start up. Then go into reset options -> reset as root.
The Kobo will present itself as an usbnetwork device with default IP 192.168.2.2

Last edited by NiMa; 05-13-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:36 PM   #82
NiMa
Evangelist

Smile New KoBox extension: Midori web browser

Have a proper web browser with this KoBox extension. A bit laggy at first but it becomes fast after a few minutes of loading (be patient!)
Available here: http://23.163.0.39/bundles/kobox/extensions/
Connect USB cable, go in KoBox settings -> Export extensions storage then drag-and-drop midori.isa and midori.isa.dgst files in the drive from your computer.
You can launch it by first enabling and connecting to a Wi-Fi network (optional but not much can be done without that ;p), then going in KoBox apps -> Midori. Then, wait. The screen may stay blank for several minutes. The onboard keyboard will eventually show up, too.
Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobileread.png
Views:	285
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	194239   Click image for larger version

Name:	reddit.png
Views:	251
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	194240   Click image for larger version

Name:	github.png
Views:	229
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	194241   Click image for larger version

Name:	github-commit.png
Views:	216
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	194242  

Last edited by NiMa; 06-10-2022 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:01 AM   #83
coolloser
Enthusiast
coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs-600,T2, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kindle 3G/PW4/PW5/O3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Have a proper web browser with this KoBox extension. A bit laggy at first but it becomes fast after a few minutes of loading (be patient!)
Available here: http://23.163.0.39/bundles/kobox/extensions/
Connect USB cable, go in KoBox settings -> Export extensions storage then drag-and-drop midori.isa and midori.isa.dgst files in the drive from your computer.
You can launch it by first enabling and connecting to a Wi-Fi network (optional but not much can be done without that ;p), then going in KoBox apps -> Midori. Then, wait. The screen may stay blank for several minutes. The onboard keyboard will eventually show up, too.
Enjoy!
Very cool! Is it able to open read.amazon.com?
coolloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #84
NiMa
Evangelist

A quick teaser of InkBox 2.0

Other features, not demonstrated in this video, are also implemented : user applications support and a redesigned Wi-Fi interface, as well as a new power daemon, written from scratch in C++ by (mostly) @Szybet.

It will also provide support for the Kindle Touch original, as well as Wi-Fi support for N705, N905C and N613. (Mini, Touch C and Glo).

Due to the lack of testers/testers availability (almost everyone who wants to port it chokes hehe), Clara HD support is (probably) on hold unless I can get one myself; note that online-porting a device is never that easy, for me or for the tester. Some things are better debugged with a real device at home.
We are currently struggling at making the display work with Andreas Kemnade's 5.16 kernel, which doesn't seem to have FBInk support (yet).

Last edited by NiMa; 09-07-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:08 AM   #85
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
I've got Inkbox working on my Nia. But have a few weird things I need help with:

my goal here is to turn the Nia into a web browser kiosk for home assistant. It seems to have everything I need with inkbox. However:

1. Web Browser, especially with thhe keyboard is near impossible to use due to extremely in-accurate touch points.

2. WiFi is disconnected everytime the device boots and doesn't remember any wifi settings.

3. I want the device to boot straight into a web browser instead of the full inkbox UI first. And with the browser set to a specific URL only.

Is this possible with inkbox or should I be figuring out something else?
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:19 AM   #86
PhungPhuong
PhungPhuong began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo libra 2
i use balenaEtcher to flash inkbox-1.5-n705.xz to my Kobo Mini N705
But it says "Your device is too small, need 2,4GB bigger"
What did I do wrong?
PhungPhuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:04 PM   #87
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
I've got Inkbox working on my Nia. But have a few weird things I need help with:

my goal here is to turn the Nia into a web browser kiosk for home assistant. It seems to have everything I need with inkbox. However:

1. Web Browser, especially with thhe keyboard is near impossible to use due to extremely in-accurate touch points.

2. WiFi is disconnected everytime the device boots and doesn't remember any wifi settings.

3. I want the device to boot straight into a web browser instead of the full inkbox UI first. And with the browser set to a specific URL only.

Is this possible with inkbox or should I be figuring out something else?
Hello, most the issues you mentioned have been fixed upstream and will be in the 2.0 release due soon™. As for the keyboard (this one will be sized up in the next release) and touch issues, it's not really of my resort, as I don't even have that device. Join the official Matrix or Discord server, @Szybet who has a Nia should be able to fix that with you.
Also, I hope you updated to v1.9? There is also a Midori KoBox extension, much better web browser, available for download (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=82).
Old 09-07-2022, 10:58 PM   #88
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhungPhuong View Post
i use balenaEtcher to flash inkbox-1.5-n705.xz to my Kobo Mini N705
But it says "Your device is too small, need 2,4GB bigger"
What did I do wrong?
You need a 4GB minimum SD card
Old 09-22-2022, 09:10 AM   #89
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Hello, most the issues you mentioned have been fixed upstream and will be in the 2.0 release due soon™. As for the keyboard (this one will be sized up in the next release) and touch issues, it's not really of my resort, as I don't even have that device. Join the official Matrix or Discord server, @Szybet who has a Nia should be able to fix that with you.
Also, I hope you updated to v1.9? There is also a Midori KoBox extension, much better web browser, available for download (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=82).
ZThanks. So far all my testing is done on 1.9

The browser loads (albeit very slow). But half the time no keyboard comes up so kind of useless.

going to jump in the discord.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do is just have the browser as a "kiosk" showing a very static set of buttons on a web page. Its being powered by home Assistant. which meant the built in Kobo browser wasn't an option (doesn't support any modern web technologies)
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:29 AM   #90
mastnacek
Enthusiast
mastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Mini
library

Hello and thanks to the author. I installed, upgraded to 1.9, but the library is unusable for me. I like the style in the factory system. You can't browse normally in that file manager.
mastnacek is offline   Reply With Quote