Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Wormsaregood
Wormsaregood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question about PDF Books

Hey everyone,

I have a question about downloading PDF books from websites. What is the legality of downloading PDF versions of books if A) you own them or B) you don't own them? I've done some researching on google and all I can find is a link like this

http://www.webmaster-talk.com/liabil...-download.html

where it's just some guy who seems to be answering another guy. I'm really not quite sure where the legality lies, although my gut tells me that its definitely wrong for B, but morally ok for A. Is there anyone with concrete details on this subject?

Thanks
Wormsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Are you asking a moral question or a legal question?

And downloading how? If there's a website offering the book for free download, either they have a license to provide it that way, in which case I don't see any issue at all, or they don't, in which case I'd think the legal liability is mainly on their side, not on you as downloader (though don't take that advice too seriously).
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Wormsaregood
Wormsaregood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm asking a legal question. I was merely speculating on the morality of the second part, as I personally believe once you own a book you should be able to download it in whatever mediums you choose, but I have no idea regarding the legality, except perhaps audiobook because there's a lot more to that.

As for the downloading, I would imagine that some of the websites, like with links to download sites like rapid and whatnot, probably do not have the licenses to distribute the books.
Wormsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote