Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Post Piper, H. Beam: Terro-Human Future Omnibus v1 30 may 2009

Another highlight of HarryT's omnibus editions:

Quote:
This is something of a "monster book" - the complete (out of copyright) "Terro-Human Future History" series of H. Beam Piper.

The Terro-Human Future History is Piper's detailed account of the next 6000 years of human history. 1942, the year the first fission reactor was constructed, is defined as the year 1 A.E. (Atomic Era). In 1973, a nuclear war devastates the planet, eventually laying the groundwork for the emergence of a Terran Federation, once humanity goes into space and develops antigravity technology.

The story The Edge of the Knife occurs slightly before the war, and involves a man who sees flashes of the future. It links many key elements of Piper's series.

Most of the stories take place during the next millennium, during the age of the two Federations. Most notable among these novels are the three Fuzzy novels (starting with Little Fuzzy), which concern the recognition of a peculiar alien species as sapient, and the efforts of the two species to learn to live together on the Fuzzies' home adopted world of Zarathustra.

The Federation collapses in the System States War and following Interstellar Wars (a bit of which can be seen in The Cosmic Computer), leading to a lengthy interregnum, during which there is no central human power. Space Viking is set in this chaotic period.

The interregnum ends with the founding of the first Empire. At least five empires rule humanity during the next four thousand years, but only a handful of short stories depict this period. Piper generally portrays these empires as benign, ruled by enlightened despots.

Piper's future history resembles in some ways Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, and was probably influenced by it, especially since both authors wrote for John W. Campbell.

The books and stories in this omnibus edition are:

1. The Edge of the Knife (Short Story)
2. Omnilingual (Short Story)
3. Four-Day Planet (Novel)
4. Uller Uprising (Novel)
5. Naudsonce (Short Story)
6. Little Fuzzy (Novel)
7. Oomphel in the Sky (Short Story)
8. The Cosmic Computer (Novel)
9. Space Viking (Novel)
10. A Slave is a Slave (Short Story)
11. Ministry of Disturbance (Short Story)
12. The Keeper (Short Story)

The items are arranged in chronological order in the "Future History", not in the order in which they were written. Virtually all the books and stories are illustrated, hence the (very) large file. There are two additional books in the series - "Fuzzy Sapiens" and "Fuzzies and Other People" - which are still under copyright and hence not included in this omnibus. In reading order they should immediately follow "Little Fuzzy".

Please note that three of the items in this omnibus:

Little Fuzzy
The Cosmic Computer
Space Viking

are also available as separate downloads in this forum.

Anyway, hope people enjoy this. It's been a heck of a lot of work to create, but I'm very happy with the results. BD coped admirably even with a book of this size.

Enjoy!
I love this one. Enjoy!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 09-08-2009 at 01:04 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There's a typo in the title: Furure -> Future.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
There's a typo in the title: Furure -> Future.
Oops. I am not at my best today. Sorry!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Question

Any idea when the attachment will be approved?

Done. I had completely forgotten about it, sorry!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 09-08-2009 at 01:05 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
Deb
Connoisseur
Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Just downloaded and unzipped the file - how do I read the book?
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator

Deb, it's not a zip file, it is an epub file. If you downloaded a zip file please rename the zip to epub and read it with every available epub reader!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
Deb
Connoisseur
Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Fantastic! Don't know why it saved as a ZIP, but changing the name worked perfectly. thanks - I'm a huge H. Beam Piper fan, so this is like Hannukah in September.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Thanks for providing this omnibus .epub book. I am enjoying reading it.

I have encountered a small problem, on my Sony 600 when I have the font on L the book will sometimes skip sections of text. But if I resize it to M the text is back again. It is not a large portion of text, only a paragraph or two. Any idea why this might be happening? It happened with 1 or 2 other ebooks I have downloaded from Mobileread but I forget which ones.

Thanks,

Nathan
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Nathan,

It's a problem with the book, I'm afraid. It has incorrectly-nested HTML tags, and the Sony sometimes skips text as a result. The actual cause of the problem is a bug in the tool that I use to create books. I discovered this problem about a year ago and all the books I've uploaded since then have been fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Harry,

I don't know which software you use for creating your ebooks, but you might want to use one of the epub validators afterwards. They would (should) have caught incorrectly nested tags.

BTW, I enjoyed this omnibus very much. I read it months ago. Thanks for your contributions.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Since finding the problem it no longer is a problem, because I know what to do to avoid it. It's a bug in the "Book Designer" program; when you mark text as a title it incorrectly nests the tags. It's easy to fix once you know that the problem is there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote