Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Amazon-Macmillan fight heats up

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/201..._heats_up.html

Quote:
Update: Macmillan CEO Sargent just took out another ad in Publishers Marketplace, saying his firm has been in "constant discussions" with Amazon. Addressing Macmillan authors and illustrators, he writes:
I cannot tell you when we will resume business as usual with Amazon, and needless to say I can promise nothing on the buy buttons. You can tell by the tone of this letter though that I feel the time is getting near to hand.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
The more I hear from Macmillan, some of their authors (and author organizations), the more firmly I am siding with Amazon in this fight.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
mcl
Connoisseur
mcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle K2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
The more I hear from Macmillan, some of their authors (and author organizations), the more firmly I am siding with Amazon in this fight.
Ditto. In spades.
mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Mr. Sargent's views on eBooks in the Public Library does NOT help his image. Not just his views, his prohibition of MacMillan eBooks existing in the Public Library.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
While I am not pleased with either party, I say this is the kick in the pants Macmillan needed to get off their complacent corporate butts and distribute their author's titles to retail outlets BESIDES Amazon. Donna Andrews, a Macmillan author that I'm a huge fan of, up until this week was Amazon only. Now she's available at B&N. I think there are two authors left on my wishlist that are still Amazon only, and published by Macmillan.
I hope the rest of the publishers take note and start wider distribution, now that they see how easy it is for an outlet to pull their titles.

EDIT: Yes, I know that's lousy grammar.

Last edited by phenomshel; 02-04-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: note
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
mcl
Connoisseur
mcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
While I am not pleased with either party, I say this is the kick in the pants Macmillan needed to get off their complacent corporate butts and distribute their author's titles to retail outlets BESIDES Amazon. Donna Andrews, a Macmillan author that I'm a huge fan of, up until this week was Amazon only. Now she's available at B&N. I think there are two authors left on my wishlist that are still Amazon only, and published by Macmillan.
I hope the rest of the publishers take note and start wider distribution, now that they see how easy it is for an outlet to pull their titles.
And I hope more consumers take note and stop rewarding Macmillan with their money.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
And I hope more consumers take note and stop rewarding Macmillan with their money.
Thing is, though, they hurt themselves (and their authors) by limiting the distribution to Amazon only. Other publishers do it too, Hachette being another one of the worst. If those ebooks had already been available at several other outlets, this wouldn't have had near the impact. They brought it on themselves. What caused a big part of the hue and cry amongst ebook consumers was that the books were not available anywhere at all after the Amazon shenanigans.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've always been against exclusive deals with ebooks. It hurts everyone. Have ebooks widely available (even in libraries!!) at a reasonable price without DRM and everyone wins.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
mcl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Thing is, though, they hurt themselves (and their authors) by limiting the distribution to Amazon only. Other publishers do it too, Hachette being another one of the worst. If those ebooks had already been available at several other outlets, this wouldn't have had near the impact. They brought it on themselves. What caused a big part of the hue and cry amongst ebook consumers was that the books were not available anywhere at all after the Amazon shenanigans.
Many of the ebook titles that became entirely unavailable when Amazon yanked them is because, for the most part, those titles were titles for which macmillan refused to produce an ebook. Amazon scanned it themselves, with Macmillan's permission.

To verify this, I think you'll find (when you check again), that most of the "exclusive" titles were in fact Topaz-format ebooks: a sure sign that Amazon themselves scanned and OCR'd the title.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Quote:
Many of the ebook titles that became entirely unavailable when Amazon yanked them is because, for the most part, those titles were titles for which macmillan refused to produce an ebook. Amazon scanned it themselves, with Macmillan's permission.

To verify this, I think you'll find (when you check again), that most of the "exclusive" titles were in fact Topaz-format ebooks: a sure sign that Amazon themselves scanned and OCR'd the title.
I wonder what that does to the Agency model. Under the Agency model, the publisher has to retain legal title to the digital books. I've wondered if that meant that the books had to be sourced and DRM'ed from the publisher and Amazon is just the pass through.

Does anyone know if Apple requires you to host the app itself? I assume that it does.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:

Yep, you're right. I am finding it highly amusing that NOW those books are showing up in other formats at other bookstores. I'm not defending Macmillan OR Amazon. I think the authors got a raw deal all the way around. I'm just glad that Macmillan is now being forced to distribute those titles other places (which I'm sure is not the outcome Amazon wanted ). By the way, one of the few remaining authors on my wishlist at Amazon was Lou Jane Temple. I just found the two titles I was missing at Fictionwise. Expensive, but there. Now if I can just figure out what the remaining three "blanked out" titles are, maybe I can find those elsewhere too.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post

Yep. I hope the authors start leaving if droves for better deals.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

I finally had to call Amazon, and have them tell me what the blacklisted titles were, but once I found out (I didn't have everything on that wishlist memorized), I've now found all the authors and titles that were previously Amazon only at other sites. Wiped out my Amazon wishlist entirely. Which suits me just fine, as I much prefer ePub format, and will pay more to get the book in ePub rather than mobi or topaz.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Glad you found them Shel!

I think this is the first big skirmish of the coming war...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
jimmypatrick
jimmypatrick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post

Does anyone know if Apple requires you to host the app itself? I assume that it does.
You don't host the app when you post it in the app store.
jimmypatrick is offline   Reply With Quote