Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
briwayjones
Beo Neo!
briwayjones doesn't litterbriwayjones doesn't litter

Device: Bebook Neo
Want a Cover/Case?

This post was cleared by Alexander Turcic.

After I got my e-Reader (Bebook Neo) I wanted a cover for it. So I threw together a case out of scrap fabric I had around. After I did that I thought I might be able to make some nicer cases/covers and sell them to earn some extra money. Especially since I've become unemployed. So I'm going to give it a shot.

This is the cover I've come up with so far. Handmade case for most e-Readers with a 5" or 6" screen. Kindle 1&2, Nook, Boox 60, Neo, Astak, ect. Made from Canvas with padding and reinforcement board to help protect the screen. It has a velcro clasp. Colors I have so far are brown and Royal Blue. I can get other colors though. I looked into it and I will now ship internationally. Sorry folks, I underestimated what I needed to charge for the cases to make them worth while. So I'm asking $25.99 plus shipping.

I will be coming up with additional covers.

There is also a version of this case for e-Readers with a 5" screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R1.png
Views:	316
Size:	654.6 KB
ID:	54123   Click image for larger version

Name:	R2_1.png
Views:	305
Size:	788.6 KB
ID:	54124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3191-edit_small.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	54125  

Last edited by briwayjones; 07-13-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: updated information
briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm just curious... on a site with a fairly international audience, why limit yourself to the USA?
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
briwayjones
Beo Neo!

I know what you're saying. Shipping internationally is something I may do in the future. Right now I'm not doing it because of the added hassle of international shipping vs. domestic with customs and all. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think it is? Do you know what is entailed shipping internationally to Australia?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
I need one for my new Jetbook Lite. I will keep watching to see if you come up with one.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by briwayjones View Post
Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think it is? Do you know what is entailed shipping internationally to Australia?
To ship something like this (if using USPS) you'd basically need to fill out a customs form from the post office. It's pretty basic, not much to it really. There's a rate calculator on the USPS site to figure out postage costs.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
briwayjones
Beo Neo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetotree View Post
I need one for my new Jetbook Lite. I will keep watching to see if you come up with one.
I can make a case for a 5" e-Reader, that was on my list of cases to make.

And I like your Snapping Turtle Avatar, where did you see that?

Looked into it, now shipping internationally.

Last edited by briwayjones; 06-27-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
I know what you're saying. Shipping internationally is something I may do in the future. Right now I'm not doing it because of the added hassle of international shipping vs. domestic with customs and all. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think it is? Do you know what is entailed shipping internationally to Australia?
It involves filling out three lines on a small slip of paper...
1. the item inside the package ('Cloth Case')
2. the value of the item in the package ('$25')
3. the purpose (gift, document, merchandise, etc) ('Merchandise')

Now comes the tricky part; you have to peel off the tape on the back and stick it onto the package. I always have trouble with this part.

Any Customs intervention will come at the receiving end, and with a value of $25 there should be virtually none. If you mark the purpose as 'Gift' there won't be any import taxes paid by the receiver on such a low dollar value item. Total extra time spent for shipping; about two minutes.

I ship internationally at least 3-4 times a month, all over the world, and never encountered any difficulty. Often I just write 'no commercial value' when I'm shipping to Third World countries and worried about mail theft.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
briwayjones
Beo Neo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Now comes the tricky part; you have to peel off the tape on the back and stick it onto the package. I always have trouble with this part.
It is tricky, it's hard to get the label straight.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is tricky, it's hard to get the label straight.
I'm "sticky-stuff" challenged. Keep me well away from 'contact paper,' superglue, and fly paper. Hell, I can't even deal with cling wrap!

Stitchawl
Old 06-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
briwayjones
Beo Neo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm "sticky-stuff" challenged. Keep me well away from 'contact paper,' superglue, and fly paper. Hell, I can't even deal with cling wrap!

Stitchawl
I don't think any male can deal with cling wrap. Where as on the other hand a woman can take a piece of cling wrap half the size of what she's covering with it and somehow magically completely cover it perfectly. And no wrinkles to boot.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
This post was cleared by Alexander Turcic.

After I got my e-Reader (Bebook Neo) I wanted a cover for it. So I threw together a case out of scrap fabric I had around. After I did that I thought I might be able to make some nicer cases/covers and sell them to earn some extra money. Especially since I've become unemployed. So I'm going to give it a shot.

This is the cover I've come up with so far. It's for most e-Readers with a 6" screen. Kindle 1&2, Nook, Boox 60, Neo, Astak, ect. Made from Canvas with padding and reinforcement board to help protect the screen. It has a velcro clasp. Colors I have so far are brown and Royal Blue. I can get other colors though. I'm asking $24.99 shipping included in price for U.S shipments. I looked into it and I will now ship internationally. The price for international orders is $22.99 plus shipping.

I will be coming up with additional covers.

Your covers are nice. I have a suggestion for you, I myself love to sew, and I love to read, and I'm female. You'll probably sell more of these if you make some geared toward the women. You know how we women are, we love to shop and we can never have enough cases and covers for our devices! If you've not seen them, take a look at the Borsa Bella bags for Kindle, these things sell like hot cakes. There's also a lady on Kindleboards who sells bags/pouches for the Kindle, and most of those who are interested are women. I'm not trying to be critical, I hope you are successful with this, just wanted to give you a heads up.

Patricia
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
briwayjones
Beo Neo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
Your covers are nice. I have a suggestion for you, I myself love to sew, and I love to read, and I'm female. You'll probably sell more of these if you make some geared toward the women. You know how we women are, we love to shop and we can never have enough cases and covers for our devices! If you've not seen them, take a look at the Borsa Bella bags for Kindle, these things sell like hot cakes. There's also a lady on Kindleboards who sells bags/pouches for the Kindle, and most of those who are interested are women. I'm not trying to be critical, I hope you are successful with this, just wanted to give you a heads up.

Patricia
I don't take it critically, that's a good point. And that's actually something I'm intending to do. I got some fabric with butterflies embroidered on it for that purpose.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Use your logo for your avatar! Seriously, I really like your lil' turtle looking out of his case.

You might want to consider adding cases with top flaps (for carrying them inside of things like backpacks or purses, where random grit seems to accumulate) or with D-rings on the top corners (to attach carrying straps).

I'm just throwing random ideas at you -- I'm afraid I'm not a customer; I'm very happy with my M-Edge Executive cover and the stretchy fabric cover I protect it with (yeah, I have a cover cover for my cover!). But it looks like you've got something good there.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
briwayjones
Beo Neo!

Yup, cases with flaps is something else I want to do. Good idea about the avatar.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath

A layer of neoprene inside the cloth would be great. I made my own case using two computer notebook covers, one inside the other. One is neoprene (for virbration) and the other sorbothane (for shock.) Between the two, the case is just about bombproof. Mine has a top opening so I can leave it inside the pocket of my shoulder bag, and just slip the reader in or out. For serious travel I have a thin sheet of kydex plastic that slips between the inner and outer cover. That makes it almost bulletproof! Its only drawback is that it isn't pretty. With one of your cloth covers it would fulfill every possible need!

Stitchawl