Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #106
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
If you watch the videos carefully you will notice a complete lack of mentioning any of the general shortcomings of the M92 software. It is a very thorough comparison of some aspects, particularly concerning handling PDFs, which most people are interested in.
Both devices are only at the beginning of a beginning ...
As I said above (did I do it here or in another thread?!) I am interested in a couple of specific functions for PDF reading and I am willing to pay for it... if those are included in the review I am OK with the device.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #107
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
I returned my M92 and bought PB912 instead. I am very happy with it (it's my first ereader, too).
I am not concerned about PDF cropping, because I'm reading PDFs in landcape mode, which has its advantages: I read text in chunks and don't feel overwhelmed by too much text at once, the font is bigger and thus lets ignore the bit older Vizplex display. Moreover the PocketBook cover allows me to place the device like a book:
I had the problem that one page turn did not take you to the next page, it just moved the text further and I had a hard time to read continuously.
That was not with the latests firmware though.
You did not mention any of that so maybe that is not a problem any more.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #108
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
As I said above (did I do it here or in another thread?!) I am interested in a couple of specific functions for PDF reading and I am willing to pay for it... if those are included in the review I am OK with the device.
As I have stated many times, if you just want to read PDFs and need a (very)basic annotation function the M92 right now is the best choice.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #109
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
I had the problem that one page turn did not take you to the next page, it just moved the text further and I had a hard time to read continuously.
That was not with the latests firmware though.
You did not mention any of that so maybe that is not a problem any more.
No, with FW 2.1.2 I have no problems, except that when you are on the first half of a page and you go up, you land on the first half of the previous page instead of its second half.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #110
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
No, with FW 2.1.2 I have no problems, except that when you are on the first half of a page and you go up, you land on the first half of the previous page instead of its second half.
-Thx!
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #111
jezistamiluje
jezistamiluje began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360, boox m92
Replying to the Booxtor's question about the suggestions for Boox m92 firmware.
1) Most importantly, the dictionary tool while reading a book should be improved in the following ways:

a) it would be useful to be able to type a word using a virtual keyboard. (One can do it in the special dictionary application, but for that one has to leave the book.) Pocketbook for example has that option.

b) it would be good to be able to browse the WHOLE dictionary in the alphabetical order starting at the position of the world that you have clicked on. There is a possibility to browse the "similar words", but the program usually suggest just few of them or (more often) none at all.

c) It would be useful, although maybe difficult to add, would be to enable the user to look up a word from the dictionary explanation. This is especially useful when one uses explanatory dictionaries and does not understand a word in the explanation. I think sony ereader dictionary can do such a thing for example.

2) the automatic shutdown can be set up to up to 15 minutes. It would be useful to add longer times. If one reads maths for instance, it is quite rare that one is able to read a page in 15 minutes. I think this should be easy to change.

Those are the most important things for me. Thank you Booxtore and thank to the Chinese programmers if they are willing to listen to the users.
jezistamiluje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #112
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezistamiluje View Post
2) the automatic shutdown can be set up to up to 15 minutes. It would be useful to add longer times. If one reads maths for instance, it is quite rare that one is able to read a page in 15 minutes.
Guessing from user interface, that I translated from English, it seems that standby and shutdown features have been expanded quite a lot. We'll see in few days, I hope.

There is up to 1 hour to standby. Shutdown modes seem not to be changed. Anyway I use standby, so it is OK.

Last edited by Mono; 02-11-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #113
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Guessing from user interface, that I translated from English, it seems that standby and shutdown features have been expanded quite a lot. We'll see in few days, I hope.

There is up to 1 hour to standby. Shutdown modes seem not to be changed. Anyway I use standby, so it is OK.
Could you guess/see any changes for the PDF reading and annotating process?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #114
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post

Where did you gather that info from? Is there some development blog or do they have a page on Github?
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #115
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSSM View Post
Where did you gather that info from? Is there some development blog or do they have a page on Github?
the so called TS files posted here by Booxtor.
I guess they contain the menus (the text for these)
Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #116
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Could you guess/see any changes for the PDF reading and annotating process?
Well, it is quite hard to guess this. It didn't seem to me there is much change in this respect, but in TS there are only the texts in groups not whole menus. Sometimes it is very unclear for what purpose texts are and how precisely translate them...

I translated hundreds of items and in quite a hurry, so there might be changes and I haven't noticed them. I noticed the change with sleep/switchoff settings, because I have the same problem (it is too short) as jezistamiluje.

2 mSSM:
From TS files that Booxtor posted to this forum to be translated.

I guess, that even if the strings are in the TS file, it does not have to mean that they will be used all in menu. It is only highly probable.... We'll see soon.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #117
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_mm View Post
However as I try to get a list of the dictionaries I only get the english/chinese that was already installed (and that I cannot find as a file).
TY, carlo
Can somebody help me out, please?
I am following the procedure to install an English dictionary (stardict-oxford-gb-2.4.2), but somehow cannot figure this out.

Now, I do not (as far as I know) have an issue with the installation of said dictionary itself; where I fail is that I simply cannot find any place where I choose what dictionary to use, or indeed see any 'list of dictionaries' as referred to in the above quote.

Probably missing something obvious, but... where should I be looking for the new dictionary - and actually set it to be used?

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #118
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
Can somebody help me out, please?
I am following the procedure to install an English dictionary (stardict-oxford-gb-2.4.2), but somehow cannot figure this out.

Now, I do not (as far as I know) have an issue with the installation of said dictionary itself; where I fail is that I simply cannot find any place where I choose what dictionary to use, or indeed see any 'list of dictionaries' as referred to in the above quote.

Probably missing something obvious, but... where should I be looking for the new dictionary - and actually set it to be used?

Cheers!
CJ
Try to click the "dictionary select" icon in the dictionary window:
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #119
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Try to click the "dictionary select" icon in the dictionary window:
Thanks for you reply - and pic.
Would that be the fourth icon? Ok, if it is, no wonder I missed it as it only pops up some Chinese characters.
Do I guess right in assuming this means that my attempt at installing an additional dictionary has not worked (as in, the Chinese characters line is the 'name' of the only dictionary installed)?

Btw.: I am still on f/w 1.6.

Cheers!
CJ

EDIT: I tried a few other dictionaries and now I can see them in the list... but...
For some reason, whatever dictionaries I have installed, there will always be two lines in Chinese in the list.
Changing between the dictionaries either does not have any effect (though sometimes after a restart) or crashes the file (i.e. takes me back to the main screen).
I guess I have just not been very lucky with the dictionaries I have been trying, or...?
Can someone recommend a (pref. British) English definition dictionary that works?
(sourceforge stardicts seems lost to us now.)

Last edited by CJY; 02-14-2012 at 05:10 PM.
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #120
jezistamiluje
jezistamiluje began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360, boox m92
I found some dictionaries on this russian forum but I have not tried whether they work for boox:
http://clubrus.kulichki.net/cgi-bin/...23980;start=15
jezistamiluje is offline   Reply With Quote