Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
MildBill
Enthusiast
MildBill doesn't litterMildBill doesn't litter

Device: Probably the Nook
'Bug' Report - E-Reader issue

OK, not sure if this is a 'bug' or a 'feature', but either way it seems to be a pain for me.
In the reader, when a book has a cover image set to display at 100%, it takes 2 clicks on the forward button to get to the next page. The first click simply moves the image up slightly.
As a work around, in epubs that I have proofed/corrected with Sigil, I set the image to display hight and width at 98% and the image works fine. However, it would be nice to have the E-Reader display and move on correctly.

Thanks,
MildBill
MildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's a bug, but one without an easy fix I'm afraid.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
MildBill
Enthusiast

At least you are aware of it, so there is hope.
As I said, and perhaps you could take advantage of this, changing the 'height' and 'width' in the SVG tag to 98% makes it work fine. Since (I'm assuming here, please forgive me if I am incorrect) e-reader converts to XHTML to open the file, maybe you could have it change that tag as it's doing so?

Anyway, thanks for the answer,
MildBill
Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changing that to 98% will fix the calibre viewer, but may have undesirable side effects (like margins at the side of the cover) in other viewers.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
MildBill
Enthusiast

True, if you save the change. But since the e-reader has to convert the file from whatever format to XHTML as it opens it, then presumably throws away the temp data when you close the book (or the reader), it is not saved to the actual book files.
Not a clean fix, I'll admit. But it would work.

Speaking of Temp files, there sure are a lot of them still clogging up my (WinXP) temp folder when Calibre is done. Just FYI.

MildBill
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That would work, the problem is identifying when the change from 100% to 98% should be applied. Certainly that is easy to do with calibre generated epubs, but I would like the solution to be more general than that.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Newest book viewer is way faster.
That second click used to take 20 seconds or so to go to first page on epubs.

if only it had an option to only open one instance it would be perfect for me.
(maybe it has and I am too stupid to find it)

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
MildBill
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
if only it had an option to only open one instance it would be perfect for me.
(maybe it has and I am too stupid to find it)

Helen
Oddly, I like the fact that I can open more than one instance. It helps when I find that I have duplicate books, it lets me choose side by side which one I will keep.

MildBill