Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Sometimes its the metadata that I want to modify - but first I have to get what's in the database into the book's copy of the .opf file. Pressing 'C' to do an ePUB to ePUB conversion will do that and it will create a 'backup'.

However, having said that, I do sometimes save a separate copy of the format outside of Calibre before editing it.
For updating the metadata, having Calibre do it alone causes a conversion. There is a much better solution. Use the Modify ePub plugin. That will allow you to update the cover and the metadata without doing a conversion. All that Modify ePub does it does without any converting. Modify ePub works very well. I use it all the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #92
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
[snip]
(even better, using contractions specific to language of the book)
[snip]
Though "contractions are optional in english, they are required in french" m'semble (seems to me) but it may still be applicable to other languages.

Cool I'm quoting myself.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #93
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Modify ePub works very well. I use it all the time.
I agree Modify's great PI, I use it to delete covers and to get rid of other rubbish, but it doesn't create a 'backup' like Convert EPUB to EPUB does.

However Modify only works on ePubs, and Polish only on EPUB and AZW3 (thanks to DoctorOhh for pointing this out).

I'd like an option to 'inject' metadata from the database into the supported metadata fields in the selected format file, without making any changes to the actual content of the files, no matter what the format. If it can be 'put there' in a convert or save to disk, then it must be possible to just 'put it there' without any converting or saving.

I can do it for most common raster and vector image formats with a variety of interchangeable tools. So why not for e-books formats, which have far simpler metadata than images? And there are at least as many, if not more image formats than there are e-book formats.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-13-2013 at 03:09 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #94
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
However Modify, and Polish only work on ePubs.
FYI, Polish works on AZW3 files too.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #95
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
FYI, Polish works on AZW3 files too.
But not on MOBI, PDF and RTF, the latter 2 are my primary formats, EPUB and MOBI are secondary. Can't recall any of my colleagues mentioning AZW1, 2 or 3, most have Android tablets these days, they've given their Kindles and Nooks to their wifi's & kidi's.

Most non fiction is published in PDF, with DOC/DOCX running a distant second and ODT barely in the race. Most of the DOC/DOCX & ODT files are easily massaged into RTF with Word or Writer, those that aren't, usually due to complex formatting are either available as PDF, or I can readily create one from Word or Writer.

Why do I want RTF and/or PDF? Content Search - including the metadata.

BR
Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #96
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
But not on MOBI, PDF and RTF, the latter 2 are my primary formats, EPUB and MOBI are secondary.
I didn't say it would meet your needs, nor do I care. I only corrected your misstatement. The Polish tool in calibre works on epubs and azw3 books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #97
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

'Twas a bug, so I moved it to launchpad - I recall seeing Kovid's away for a bit.

Its here if you're interested https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1168793

And it'll be fixed in the next release

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-14-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd like an option to 'inject' metadata from the database into the supported metadata fields in the selected format file, without making any changes to the actual content of the files, no matter what the format. If it can be 'put there' in a convert or save to disk, then it must be possible to just 'put it there' without any converting or saving.
You have to modify the OPF of an ePub in order to change the metadata. So not modifying any file is not possible.

Modify ePub is the only way to do it without doing it via Tweak eBook and doing it manually that does not do any converting. I suggest you go to the plugins forum and find the Modify ePub thread and put in a request for an original_ePub option to be added.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #99
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have to modify the OPF of an ePub in order to change the metadata. So not modifying any file is not possible.

Modify ePub is the only way to do it without doing it via Tweak eBook and doing it manually that does not do any converting. I suggest you go to the plugins forum and find the Modify ePub thread and put in a request for an original_ePub option to be added.
Thanks JSWolf,

We've drifted off topic, my primary issue is not with EPUB or AZW3 files, its with RTF (and PDF files) files, I've created a new thread here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210598

BR
Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #100
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
QUESTION: When using this plug-in is it recommended to delete the original epub file? What is the downside to removing the original epub in lieu of the "polished" book.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
QUESTION: When using this plug-in is it recommended to delete the original epub file? What is the downside to removing the original epub in lieu of the "polished" book.
The downside is if you decide to unpolish, you can't.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
The usual reason for having a backup: it doesn't always get it right, and the original ePub/AZW3 file allows you to get back to where you were.

"Polish" isn't a plug-in, BTW; it's core program functionality.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-15-2013 at 05:31 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #103
DBorG
DBorG began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
Lightbulb Jacket

Any chance of giving us a choice of what to add to jacket.
For instance some of our own columns.

Also it would be great if jacket would use the same font as the book.

Last edited by DBorG; 07-06-2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: adding text and title
DBorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #104
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can customize the jacket template to add whatever fields you like. See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ates-et-cetera

look for jacket/template.xhtml
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #105
DBorG
DBorG began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
Talking THANKS :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can customize the jacket template to add whatever fields you like. See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ates-et-cetera

look for jacket/template.xhtml
thank you....
DBorG is offline   Reply With Quote