Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #61
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
In the meantime, just access maps.google.com in safari and create a link on the desktop. It works well.
There is an app called G-whizz that provides access to all of the Google tools. It is a free download.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #62
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Passbook is a waste for me. My iPt4 lacks too many features, so I don't take it anywhere. Instead, it stays at home sitting in a speaker dock; primarily used for its audio features.

Still, the lack of GPS and the high entry price ($299) immediately rule it out.
You have so many problems, I hardly know how you make it through the day.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
You have so many problems, I hardly know how you make it through the day.
Dried banana peels
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #64
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Did the iOS 6 upgrade for my iPad 3 last night, no issues. Did the one for my 4S this am at work. All good. Both upgrades were done over a wifi connection. Home one took an hour and was a 700+ MB download. iPhone d/l was 626 MB and downloaded and installed in 20 min using a faster (work) connection. So far so good . I really like some of the changes.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #65
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
With regard to the Apple Maps thing, an interesting article from the BBC. They seem to be less than overwhelmed!

New Apple maps app under fire

Interestingly (for me, at least), one of the places mentioned in the article as being missing is Solihull, where I live. I'm here now, I can assure Apple that I exist. Another missing place is Stratford-on-Avon; have all the Shakespeare books also disappeared from the Apple store?

BTW, Solihull has a population of about 100,000.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #66
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yes, Maps looks like a disaster, at least in the short term. Not only that, but it's so US-centric that it cuts off postal codes after 5 digits.

People are saying it will get better, that having a massive population use it will swiftly improve the data, that Apple is going to release APIs to make it a platform for other developers who will create integrated public transit apps, and so on. I say... good for them if they can pull that off sometime in the next year, though I don't see how crowdsourcing is going to help with terrible satellite imagery. Meanwhile, the user suffers.

I hope Google releases its Maps app soon.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #67
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
All I wanted was an "add to wishlist" button on the mobile iTunes. I guess I'm asking for too much.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #68
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
I have it iOS6 on my iPad, and iPhone. Living here in Japan the Apple Maps is very disappointing, a huge difference to the google one! I am not happy, its a very very poor very basic one! No traffic info etc
yeh just very very basic

I suppose they will update it in time but first impressions are disappointing for me as I drive a lot and I used Google maps a lot and the app was very convenient and useful
I hope google realse a Map app
You are not alone.

Quote:
Apple today faced the ire of thousands of irritated iOS 6 users who upgraded to the new version of the iDevice operating system only to discover the Cupertino's new Maps app is, well, pants.

As we noted in our review of iOS 6 yesterday, Apple dropped Google's mapping system in favour of one of its own. The result is an attractive-looking app but one that lacks many of the places of interest - local landmarks, shops and other businesses, entertainment venues, amenities and such - listed by Google.
Source

You should be able to get the Google Maps app soon anyway.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #69
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

You should be able to get the Google Maps app soon anyway.
I've been quite surprised at how many people used Google maps for more than a cursory look at where they are going, and even more surprised at the anger over the lack of turn by turn directions outside the US. Most of us have been using Tomtom/Sygic/Navigon or even the free Navfree, for years... the lack of google maps is a non-event, for me personally... I've created a springboard link and have relegated apple maps to a folder of Apple apps I never ever use, on the last page in my phone.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #70
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I've been quite surprised at how many people used Google maps for more than a cursory look at where they are going, and even more surprised at the anger over the lack of turn by turn directions outside the US. Most of us have been using Tomtom/Sygic/Navigon or even the free Navfree, for years... the lack of google maps is a non-event, for me personally... I've created a springboard link and have relegated apple maps to a folder of Apple apps I never ever use, on the last page in my phone.
I personally find it very useful, especially the street view. I helps me locate parking spots whenever I have to go to a new place, or be aware of the surroundings before I get there.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
...and have relegated apple maps to a folder of Apple apps I never ever use, on the last page in my phone.
I have a similar folder on my iPod. Sure wish I could delete these apps instead.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #72
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The battery drain is already way faster than Apple or the fanboys will admit to, not that I give a crap what either say or believe. I only know that I've never owned any iOS device that didn't drain the battery way faster than it was supposed to, and that includes iPt1, 2, and 4, as well as iPad 1 and 3.
At least on iOS 5, I get very, very good battery life with the iPad (2 and 3). It'll be at 10% battery life and I'd still be able to read on it for over an hour at minimum brightness (auto-brightness off). The iPhone 4S battery doesn't last as long as the iPhone 4 but it still outlasts my Samsung and LG Android smartphones (and that's already with cellular data disabled on Android). The only current iOS device I have with really poor battery life is the iPod Touch (4th gen).

Just updated the iPads to iOS6. So far so good but haven't really played around with it that much. Haven't updated the iPhones (on iOS 5.1.1) or the iPod Touch (on iOS 4.3.5).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #73
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Yes, I also hate the Apple maps

Google Maps please come back
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #74
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I may yet downgrade to 5.1.1, (if I can, might be impossible with the baseband upgrade that happened) so far there isnt much in 6 that I find compelling enough to retain the upgrade on my 3GS, which I am going to have to keep for some time longer, sadly. $$$ is always an issue here, in recent years.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #75
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I might try "G-Whizz" as pointed out above (I am at work now so can't do it here)
I have to get back to Google Maps, the Apple Maps is useless
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote