Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #31
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
ooh, something new to argue about. refreshing.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #32
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i take "current generation" to include the K3. its still in production, is it not?

i think you'll just end up getting enhanced features over the standard mobi format but it will still work on current kindles. kind of like being able to watch a dvd on a blu-ray player, it still works fine it just doesnt take advantage of blu-ray only features.

in the off chance no new books work i'm just going back to hardcopies, screw it.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #33
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I am curious whether they will take this opportunity to "upgrade" their DRM support, including their ability to lock out text to speech on some books?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #34
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
ooh, something new to argue about. refreshing.
Karma for you.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #35
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Content that is designed around the new features won't work on an older Kindle, but much of it will likely be best on a color screen anyway. This is also true of the Kindle PDFs, which are typically optimized for big screens.

Amazon already includes the original ePub in their AZW ebooks, and it looks like this might be replaced by KF8. In other words, an AZW ebook will include MOBI and KF8. From the FAQ:

thats what i'm thinking, that "works on all kindle devices" is pretty telling. books will work on all kindles but you'll need the newest models to take advantage of the new features.

Last edited by xg4bx; 10-21-2011 at 12:55 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:02 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Amazon already includes the original ePub in their AZW ebooks
Can you show us some AZW eBooks that have ePub in them and how to extract the ePub? All the AZW I've dealt with have been just Mobipocket under the hood.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #37
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Just for the fun of it: KF8 in the Italian cellphone texting slang sounds like "Who am I screwing up?"...

;-)
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:14 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
It sounds to me like they will support ePub at some point. From their Kindle Format Overview web page:
No, that's just saying that their digital publishing service can accept ePub as an input format - and this is already the case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you show us some AZW eBooks that have ePub in them and how to extract the ePub? All the AZW I've dealt with have been just Mobipocket under the hood.
When you create a book with Kindlegen you get a complete copy of the source files included in the Mobi book. That's true using an HTML source. If you use ePub as source, I don't know if you'd simply get the ePub included, or its component HTML files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #40
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
If Amazon went ePub with Adept DRM, I think they'd be able to directly compete with others. But if Amazon is going to come out with eBooks that are in yet a different format, then we'll maybe see people jump ship.
Has this post been lost in the mail for a couple of years?
They seem to have been managing to compete quite well with a different ebook format to everyone else for a while now.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #41
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Oh, they swap a format my reader can't read against an other my reader can't read.

Still, once DRM are removed, it should be more easily editable, convertible to ePub.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
Gee, I'm shocked. It's almost like they're trying to force people to upgrade. I feel like I've seen this before with, what was it? Ah yes, .LIT. How many people lost their content that time? Unless they illegally broke the DRM?

I wonder how their switch-over support is going to be for the devices that actually support KF8.
Surely this is lack of support for the new format on older devices, not lack of support for the older format on newer devices.

All the existing Kindle titles will work on the Kindle Fire and on eInk Kindles with the new firmware.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I am happy to sit and wait for "Alf plus in a can" for de-infestation purposes.
It will be interesting to see if they ditch the Mobipocket/Palm Doc wrapper for KF8. If they do, it will probably take quite a while for a solution to appear. If they keep it, I suspect that a solution will be available in a very short time.

My bet is that they will keep the Palm Doc wrapper.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
KindleGen adds the source file to the end of the Kindle ebook, and the source file can be an ePub. Amazon seems to strip this source from the Kindle ebook when it's uploaded to Amazon for distribution.

I do wonder whether they've been storing these stripped source files, and might run them through their new KindleGen to generate KF8 files of higher quality for devices that support, at least as a stop-gap measure until publishers update files.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #45
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I don't really care much about any of this.

Ok, it's mildly disappointing that they are releasing yet another ebook format, but it still doesn't matter that much from an end-user perspective. At some point, the format will be editable and I'll just carry on using Calibre to manage my book collection, same as I've always done. Epub would have been preferable and easier all round, but it's not big drama.

As long as I can get the books I want on whatever Kindle I happen to own at the moment, it's all good!
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote