Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Question Is There Any Way To Use Whispernet Outside The US?

Hello,
I'm from Brazil and according to Amazon's site, my country has Whispernet support. The problem was that when I bought my Kindle I didn't knew about this and got the US version of the Kindle DX(Model B004) and as everyone knows Whispernet is just awesome and I want to use it. So there is any way to make this work?

Best Regards,
Nathan Paulino Campos
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
omar504
omar504 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Others more techno savvy than me will probably answer more fully but I've just got my Kindle 3 wi-fi 3g and downloaded several books using whispernet with no trouble. I'm in Australia
omar504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is a hardware difference between the US versions and the International versions, not to mention the licensing agreements with the wireless carriers. So, no, there is no way to make it work in Brazil with a US DX.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
There is a hardware difference between the US versions and the International versions, not to mention the licensing agreements with the wireless carriers. So, no, there is no way to make it work in Brazil with a US DX.
Ok
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My understanding is that whispernet works fine globally no matter where you buy the device. I know many folks who have traveled internationally with their US purchased 3G k2, DX, DXG's, and K3s who have had no problem with whispernet.

If you are having problems with yours, I would call Kindle Customer Service and talk with them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
My understanding is that whispernet works fine globally no matter where you buy the device. I know many folks who have traveled internationally with their US purchased 3G k2, DX, DXG's, and K3s who have had no problem with whispernet.

If you are having problems with yours, I would call Kindle Customer Service and talk with them.
The original poster has the older Kindle DX with a CDMA radio, not a 3G radio. This only works in the US. As you rightly say, the current Kindle DX has 3G and work world-wide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Ahhh ok. For somereason I thought all of the White DX's where International.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Ahhh ok. For somereason I thought all of the White DX's where International.
The original Kindle DX, released in May 2009, was only sold in the US and had a CDMA radio. In Jan 2010, it was replaced by the international version, which was 3G. This, in turn, was replaced by the DX Graphite, with a Pearl screen, in July 2010.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote