Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Screen Size and Battery Consumption

Hi,

While thinking about different e-Paper readers, a question came to my mind regarding the screen size and the battery consumption. And I know we have some experts here so I wanted to quickly pick your brains about this.

Let's say we have two e-Paper readers: One of 5" screen the other one 9". So if I read the same book on both using the same font size, the book will have considerably fewer pages on the larger device. As most (if not all) of the constructors publish their benchmarks based on page-turns, is it fair to say that to read a given book at a given pace, a larger e-Paper reader will consume less power? Or the extra power used for the larger display makes the difference negligible?

Last edited by yagiz; 01-07-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
Hi,

While thinking about the different e-Paper readers, a question came to my mind regarding the screen size and the battery consumption. And I know we have some experts here so I wanted to quickly pick your brains about this.

Let's say we have two e-Paper readers: One of 5" screen the other one 9". So if I read the same book on both using the same font size, the book will have considerably fewer pages on the larger device. As most (if not all) of the constructors publish their benchmarks based on page-turns, is it fair to say that to read a given book at a given pace, a larger e-Paper reader will consume less power? Or the extra power used for the larger display makes the difference negligible?
If 2 devices are accurately measured as generating the same number of continuous refreshes on a charge, then yes the larger device allows you to read more for a given font size.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
If 2 devices are accurately measured as generating the same number of continuous refreshes on a charge, then yes the larger device allows you to read more for a given font size.
But is it using more electric? so if they had the same battery size which would die first?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Larger screen do use more power, certainly, but a physically larger device has more room in it for a larger battery, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
It's an interesting theoretical question, but I don't think it really matters. You're almost guaranteed to never see two readers with different screen sizes, but otherwise identical. In other words, the power consumption of the different devices is going to have more variables in it than just the screen size. Other hardware differences, features, etc, will probably make the kind of comparison you're talking about less useful.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
I understand. Thanks for the comments!
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote