Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
gdaydigger
gdaydigger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Moving PW collections (incl non-DRM) to cloud and Voyage

Hi there

I've had 3 Kindles and currently on 1st gen PW. I'm about to upgrade to the Voyage. Before I do so I need help with transferring my 500 books that are carefully arranged in collections on my PW. Here are some considerations:

+ I cannot face yet again spending hours upon hours manually assigning 500 books on my Voyage to new collections, only to have to repeat the process once the next generation Kindle hits the market

+ The majority of my books are non-Amazon purchases, all of which I have converted and sideloaded via Calibre to my PW

+ My books are not arranged in collections on Calibre. I want to control my collections on my PW (ie when I have read a book I move it from my "To Read" collection to "Already Read" collection)

+ I do not want to root my PW or new Voyage

+ some of my books on my PW are in .Mobi, others in .AZW3

Ideally, I would love to have all my library in the cloud so I can effortlessly transfer my collections from one Kindle to another. I have spent hours scouring this forum and elsewhere on the web but I can't find anything that addresses my needs.

I'd be most grateful for whatever help or advice you can give me!
gdaydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Non-Amazon books are NOT synced through Cloud Collections. If they were documents that were emailed to your send-to-kindle email address, it would be a different story.

Your ONLY option is to setup collections in calibre, and jailbreak your Voyage by physically prying open the casing and running the jailbreak over the serial port (because there is currently no JB exploit for the KV/KT2).

i.e. not happening. Sorry.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
gdaydigger
gdaydigger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Non-Amazon books are NOT synced through Cloud Collections. If they were documents that were emailed to your send-to-kindle email address, it would be a different story.

Your ONLY option is to setup collections in calibre, and jailbreak your Voyage by physically prying open the casing and running the jailbreak over the serial port (because there is currently no JB exploit for the KV/KT2).

i.e. not happening. Sorry.

Ah. So if i send each of my books as PDOCs i can then put them into collections on my device and these collections will be synced to the cloud?

If this is the case, can anyone recommend the best way of getting 500 PDOCs onto my PW other than 15 at a time via send-to-kindle email. Is there a Calibre shortcut? What format should I send them in (I have several versions of each ebook in my Calibre library)?

Last edited by gdaydigger; 12-09-2014 at 12:50 AM.
gdaydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
There is no quick way, emailing in bulk is the only option. You need to send aformat Amazon recognise, I send mobi, and Amazon send AZW to your Kindle. From then on they are treated just like Amazon books for Cloud Collections. Once they are in a collection you can leave in the cloud or download you wish, but they will appear on the kindle device you send them to firstly and from there you add into a collection.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaydigger View Post
Hi there

I've had 3 Kindles and currently on 1st gen PW. I'm about to upgrade to the Voyage. Before I do so I need help with transferring my 500 books that are carefully arranged in collections on my PW. Here are some considerations:

+ I cannot face yet again spending hours upon hours manually assigning 500 books on my Voyage to new collections, only to have to repeat the process once the next generation Kindle hits the market

+ The majority of my books are non-Amazon purchases, all of which I have converted and sideloaded via Calibre to my PW

+ My books are not arranged in collections on Calibre. I want to control my collections on my PW (ie when I have read a book I move it from my "To Read" collection to "Already Read" collection)

+ I do not want to root my PW or new Voyage

+ some of my books on my PW are in .Mobi, others in .AZW3

Ideally, I would love to have all my library in the cloud so I can effortlessly transfer my collections from one Kindle to another. I have spent hours scouring this forum and elsewhere on the web but I can't find anything that addresses my needs.

I'd be most grateful for whatever help or advice you can give me!
Probably too late for you but my advice is -- if you have a Paperwhite below fw 5.6.1 -- jailbreak the thing then transfer your books to epub format and put KoReader on your device. You can read about how to do all that elsewhere on this site but it is quite easy. With a few tweaks, Calibre can be told to transfer your epub files to the Kindle then you just hook up the Kindle to the PC, create folders with the Documents folder on the Kindle and drag your files that Calibre places in the Documents folder to those new folders.

What you'll gain is a device with far better contrast, unlimited font sizes/custom fonts compared to the native Kindle software. You'll also gain night mode, landscape columns, a much more efficient device - more storage and no waiting around for indexes to complete -- AND a much more intuitive approach to collections. KoReader understands folders so it's simply a question of organizing your library how you want with folders.

You'll give up things like xray for Amazon books and having Auntie Amazon control your collections/shares/firmware updates but all of that is either a minor problem or actually a good thing (Keeping Jeff Bezos' sweaty little minions away from my Kindle makes me feel quite good). KoReader is quite stable on the Kindle but they're still developing it. Highlighting & dictionary/wikipedia support works fine but they've not yet implemented the code for note-taking.

I have both a Voyage and a Paperwhite 1 with KoReader (I discovered KoReader *after* I bought the Voyage) and the PW is still my favorite e-reader. My Voyage is perfectly fine but, for me, it's not the resolution of the font which is important, it is the *contrast* of the font on the screen ... and (of course) night mode. KoReader is terrific for both; even with the somewhat uneven front light of the PW 1.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you are going to jailbreak anyway, you might as well do as I suggested and use the calibre plugin, together with LibrarianSync to import collection into the Kindle database.

Advantages -- having books in multiple collections, annotations support, works perfectly with Amazon as well as sideloaded books...

Installing KOReader merely to use the pseudo-collections is horribly overkill and not a very useful suggestion. (You have found a solution in search of a problem.)
And the OP does NOT want to jailbreak (and it is irrelevant for a Voyage, as I said above).

And managing collections via drag-and-drop is a horrendous idea, I suggest you let calibre organize them via metadata and tweaking the filename save template.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, collections, kindle, migrate