Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
Odyssey bricked & how to fill in ticket with Bookeen??

Totally out of the blue, my Odyssey freezes after startup. A hard reboot opens the updating screen, followed by an error. sometimes after startup it goes into sleep mode and I have to push the power button for 15 seconds and then is starts up to a frozen screen again. I didnt connect it to a pc for over a week or did anything wrong.

Bookeen needs a serial number but I can't access my device and the message on their website wont send without the serial number added to the ticket. Any suggestions?
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The serial number is written on the cybook, it's the number on the back.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah ok thanks Eowyn, I didnt see it with the cover over it.

I just dont get it.

all of a sudden (I did not remove the SD card or connect the odyssey to a pc in a few weeks, so nothing done wrong there) I get these "startup" loops. After startup I get a frozen screen. Sometimes the touchscreen works for a few seconds, but it always freezes after that. I managed to do a reinitialisation in those few seconds, but without much effect. my battery was half-full when the problems started. I recharged it and since it's full, I have those few seconds of touchscreen. When I scan the SD card or the odyssey for errors, there is no problem. I can also move books on the sd card and the internal memory. my battery-indicator also suddenly showed an empty battery, when it was for 80% charged. that disappeared after a while and now it shows full. Is the problem battery-related?? I dont know... A month ago I had to do a reboot too, when the battery was half-full, but it was fixed with the reboot. It's almost like it starts acting funny when my battery life is down to 50%...

in less than 2 weeks I'm going for a 3 month trip to Southeast-Asia. Half the time there, I'm reading books... This is not the right time for crap like this....
Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, I would think your problem is battery-related. Before sending the device to Bookeen I would charge it once more thoroughly.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Bookripper
Connoisseur

I was also thinking that, but it feels like I'm just postphoning the problem. If problems start everytime my battery is at 50%, they should replace it.
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeap, might be the battery. On the other hand, the updating screen when no update is planned ? Wait, do you have a SD with the "cybupdate.bat" inside ?

I would suggest doing a scandisk of the internal memory.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
Bookripper
Connoisseur

the updating screen comes only if I do a startup when holding the "menu"-button. I removed the SD card to narrow down what the problem could be. I did over 5 scandisk tests, they all came clean. The first two times, my pc indicated a problem and suggested the scan + repair of damaged sectors, but those tests also gave no errors...

I'm still charging it, but the light was already green a few hours ago.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
my pc indicated a problem and suggested the scan + repair of damaged sectors
Sure sign the internal memory is somehow broken.
Maybe a format would do, not sure, if windows have stopped complaining.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Bookripper
Connoisseur

It's not the first time I had windows rapporting a problem when connecting the odyssey to a pc. But I thought the problem was the SD card or some Ebooks filled with errors, after I did some Sigil "editing" on them (before I discovered the Flightcrew function and learnt some Css basics.) And it always got fixed on the first try.

This formatting, I can do it from windows as you would format a normal HD? Select the Cybook drive + Right-click & Format? This will not remove the software? And will this not ruin my warranty?

Last edited by Bookripper; 02-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard

Yes, yes (FAT 32 only, not exFat or ext3 !!) , only the part on the visible partition system is not there, and no.

And of course, backup the content before It will clean preferences too.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #11
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Nope, nothing worked, I just hope Bookeen will fix this fast enough. thanks for your advice though, got some karma coming your way!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Update:
Bookeen sent me back the same device. It showed a choppy performance from the first startup and after a few weeks it broke down again, the same problem as before. Now, after a few months of what I can only describe as "totally retarded communication" , they finally refunded my money.

To describe some of the communication: Immediately after i got it back, i rapported the problem and got following reply: '' your device has been fully tested and works correct''. So i sent them back:"i told you two times that the problems start when the battery is at 50 %, i sent it fully charged and i got it back fully charged, so how can you guarantee me that you tested it 100%?". Reply from bookeen: '' sir, do not hesitate to contact us if you have any problems with the Odyssey''......

So after i contacted them 2 times about a problem, they say: ''do not hesitate to contact us if there's a problem''. Sorry, but that's some retarded BS.

So to find out what their ''complete checkup'' actually means, i started fiddling with my bricked device. I discovered that if you press the L + R button and then simultaneously press the Power-button, you restart the device in ''service mode''. Here you can test every different segment, as well as do a reboot/power down. My device passed all tests, and i can reboot it as much as i like using service mode and sometimes even by holding the Power-button, but it freezes a few seconds after startup. Sometimes i'm fast enough to reinitialise, but when it starts up again it freezes on the ''language setting'' screen. One time i could even open a book and scroll through the pages, but when i stopped doing this for 3 seconds, who could have guessed, it froze again.

I am very disappointed in the overall quality of ereaders. It might be possible that i swapped the sd card when it was in sleep mode (on the home screen, not in an open book) instead of fully powered off, but should that result in a bricked device?? That stuff should be fixed with a reboot or a reinitialisation. Such total crap software.... it's like a combination of gambling and praying when you buy an ereader.and it's not like they are cheap, even a piece of rubber for a cover costs you 30 euros...

If anybody has some further tips on how i can reset or reflash this thing or something, let me know.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Tips on a stable ereader that can handle a few thousand books properly are also appreciated. I dont care about the price, i just want something i can rely on.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookripper View Post
Tips on a stable ereader that can handle a few thousand books properly are also appreciated. I dont care about the price, i just want something i can rely on.
Odyssey software is stable, never had much trouble there.

Hardware, however... I sent yet an other odyssey to bookeen this morning, power on/off stooped working.
But I won't be giving up ePub support, or folder view, or the physical buttons.

Was it the same one they sent back ? Just one point : as a tech, this kind of seemingly random problem is a major pain to figure out.

I was glad to see that bookeen invested in a proper ticket system though, and their response times are back to normal.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-19-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #15
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I also think that Odyssey is the best reader for many books, I have a few thousands on mine. I can compare it directly to my Kobo Touch which also helds the same books, but it is always a problem with long delays after putting new books on it until they got indexed. nothing like that on the Odyssey. My Kindle gave up long ago, no SD card means not many books, plus Kindle needs so much space for indexing...
Too bad your Odyssey seems to be a bad one, but if I read your post right you got your money back but still have the Odyssey? In that case give it a 2nd chance and buy a new Frontlight!
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote