Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #331
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Ok, great! I'll try this asap
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #332
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast
Jedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle DX graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by oguzonat View Post
Hello, it seems that the liberator drains my battery, i mean literally drains it. am I the only one experiencing this problem? I'd be gratefull if anyone would be of assistance
I have a problem with quick battery drain, but it is not related to Librerator, it drains it in the Amazon shell just as well. From experience what contributes to it is letting battery run low (below 60%) multiple times, but this was reported to happen occasionally even in new Kindles.

One suggestion I read in another thread is to leave Kindle plugged in for a day, and then restart it from Settings without unplugging, repeat several times. It didn't work for me, but another user reported improvement (he did it after replacing the battery though).
Jedidiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #333
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It was the replacing the battery that made the improvement.
Not the other hand-waving over the Kindle.

What you describe is the (normal) loss of storage capacity of a Li-Ion battery over its useful lifetime.

I recommend you start shopping for a replacement battery **NOW** before it self destroys its flash chips (the DX has more than one).
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=3
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #334
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, I think what can also happen (and has been in the past) is that the document indexer (in the Kindle app framework) stumbles badly over a malformed document.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #335
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast
Jedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It was the replacing the battery that made the improvement. Not the other hand-waving over the Kindle.

What you describe is the (normal) loss of storage capacity of a Li-Ion battery over its useful lifetime.

I recommend you start shopping for a replacement battery **NOW** before it self destroys its flash chips (the DX has more than one).
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=3
I did replace the battery after the original battery started running out quickly (with this one http://www.newpower99.com/Battery_fo...l%20offers.htm). However, nothing visibly improved after that, even after the restarting voodoo. I also did re-indexing, which was advice possibly related to the issue Hawhill pointed out.

Currently it drains even when turned off, and only lasts 2-3 hours from full charge with wireless on (I use Amazon shell to browse), so I have to keep Kindle plugged in constantly.
Advert
Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #336
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedidiyah View Post
I did replace the battery after the original battery started running out quickly (with this one http://www.newpower99.com/Battery_fo...l%20offers.htm).
- - - - -
Which is for a K3, not for a DXG.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #337
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which is for a K3, not for a DXG.
Sorry, wrong link. The one I got was from the same company but for DXG. It even came with instruction video which I followed (removing the back cover was something) http://www.newpower99.com/Amazon_Kin...indle%20dx.htm .

I didn't know about the flash chips, but I suspect that there is something in the wiring that makes the batteries drain quickly, old or new. I bought a used one and it drained quickly from the start, although it got worse over time.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #338
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Too bad that it is very hard to debug. You could run "top" in a terminal (say, via USB networking) to see if there's some software installed than runs havoc. I take it that if you bought it used (or did you talk about the battery?) you're not absolutely sure what has been installed to it, right?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #339
knc1
Going Viral

Disable the Wireless long enough to get an idea if that is part of the problem.

Note:
That 3G card draws 4 amps peak when transmitting.
It only transmits in bursts, but that peak is still right at the maximum load the Li-Ion battery can tolerate, when new, in best of conditions, and fully charged.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #340
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Too bad that it is very hard to debug. You could run "top" in a terminal (say, via USB networking) to see if there's some software installed than runs havoc. I take it that if you bought it used (or did you talk about the battery?) you're not absolutely sure what has been installed to it, right?
My kindle also includes htop, which IMIO is better
Old 11-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #341
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
htop is bundled with USBNet .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #342
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Yes, I bought the whole Kindle used, so I can't be sure. It arrived with "battery critical" message on the screen, but I didn't realize the significance of that at the time. I installed jailbreak, launchpad and librerator soon after, about year and a half ago. Once I left it fully charged and turned off for a week, and it had the same "battery critical" message when I came back. Other users told me that the charge shouldn't have lowered significantly if it functioned properly.

If there is software that can run in a turned off state I'd like to find out. Could you give me instructions on how to "run "top" in a terminal", I've never done such thing before. Originally I thought it could be the MP player, but I deleted all audio files from the directory it plays from.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #343
PieMan597
Still a pie
PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, OnePlus 7 Pro
Do this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=8
Then run "top", without the quotes, in Putty.
Report if anything seems to be using a lot of the CPU for no reason.
PieMan597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #344
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
htop is bundled with USBNet .
I see
Old 12-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #345
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan597 View Post
Do this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=8
Then run "top", without the quotes, in Putty.
Report if anything seems to be using a lot of the CPU for no reason.
Uhh, I was afraid of that. I don't feel competent enough to do the usb hack or Putty, that list just scares me. Maybe after a lot of reading...

Last edited by Jedidiyah; 12-18-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Tags
application, epub, fb2, pdf, reader