Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
ebooks that won't let you change the font

A lot of ebooks I get from Amazon lately won't let me change the font, and they open up in serif with very large spacing between lines. I did install the font size hack recently, I'm not sure if that is the cause of it or not but if I run the faulty ebooks through Calibre first they open with normal spacing and I can change the font to sans-serif.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately that is usually due to the author/publisher hard-coding the formats. Most allow us to choose our formats but a few hard-code them. You need to Google Alf and learn how to liberate the books then use calibre to reformat them.

They use CSS (cascading style sheets) to hard-code the formatting. After liberating a book, you can change or override the CSS coding.
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Which Kindle do you have, Mr. Ploppy? Font size/type problems are showing up on the KF8 Kindle devices (Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, and now the Kindle Keyboard with the recent 3.4 update, which brought KF8 to that device). I don't know if the $69 has the issue. The line height bug is a known problem on the devices.

As jswinden mentioned, the issue shows up when authors/publishers hard-code the font formatting (size, font type, etc.) for ebook body text. They should not specify these settings so readers can select their own preferences.

I suggest that you report the problem to the author/publisher if you have a way to do that and/or report the problem to Amazon via the link at the bottom of the ebook's product page there.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I had this happen on my Paperwhite actually. It was one of the free books, so I just thought it was something to do with keeping the cost down. I know nothing about coding or hacking so, I could be completely wrong with my theory. lol
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
A simple run through Calibre will fix it. Just check the fonts box in the Look n Feel conversation tab. Seeing the Pdoc cloud doesn't support KF8 yet I still read in mobi. I do have a couple KF8s I made for the Fire using merge epub plugin then converted them over to AZW3 (KF8). Those are sideloaded.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert