Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
LeftHanded Matt
LeftHanded Matt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
HTML to MOBI conversion ignores page breaks

I spent a while searching this forum beforehand and couldn't find an answer to this.

I have some text prepared in an HTML file with minimal style applied. Very short, a few paragraphs with some headings and title page. When I use Calibre to convert this HTML into a MOBI file, the output looks lovely (line breaks between paragraphs removed, indented), but any page break tags I included are completely ignored (using the <mbp : pagebreak /> tag).

So, the title page, author and chapter headings all appear right on top of each other with no nice page breaks.

I am viewing the outputted file using Kindle for PC, doing this in preparation of hopefully getting a Kindle for Christmas.

Any idea why Calibre is ignoring these? Thank you.

Last edited by LeftHanded Matt; 12-20-2011 at 01:52 PM.
LeftHanded Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Internally Calibre does everything on an epub interpretation of your document. As the tag in question is outside of the spec, it is disregarded.

E-Book and HTML Formatting Rules of Thumb has some alternative methods. Personally I prefer to just work in Sigil and place each chapter into its own file. It's also an all round easier way of doing things. Since Sigil outputs well formed epubs, Calibre makes it easier to work from, to convert to other formats and such - an all round easier format.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
LeftHanded Matt
LeftHanded Matt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you, I'll try that approach.
LeftHanded Matt is offline   Reply With Quote