Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #31
daveotlc
daveotlc began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
I'm considering a Nexus 7. I'll usually download my books to my computer and use Calibre to manage my library and N7 contents, probably with e-book readers for the various formats on the Nexus 7. I don't project immediate use of the Android device in any WiFi environment (except maybe at home) but hope you support a public mode in some future (unspecified) release.

Last edited by daveotlc; 07-27-2012 at 05:20 PM.
daveotlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #32
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
If it will support my HTC Incredible 2 and FBReader I'll buy it!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #33
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I'm looking at buying a Nexus 7 too, but will wait for this app to release first.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:20 AM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I'll buy it because of my high regard for chaley.

I don't really care for reading on my tablet, but I have freinds who read on theirs so I shall point them to it when available.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #35
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I'll buy it because of my high regard for chaley.

I don't really care for reading on my tablet, but I have freinds who read on theirs so I shall point them to it when available.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
Hondo1
Hondo1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I believe that the reason Dave Pierron had trouble was that as well as having copyrighted books in his public folder, he had also widely posted the URL that could be used to access his library. If he had not done that I would be extremely surprised if he had problems. It was this public visibility that resulted in Dropbox being served with DCMA takedown notices, and thus Dropbox deciding to cancel his account.

If you are going to be paranoid, then you should not have copyrighted books ANYWHERE in your DropBox folders - not just the public ones. If you carefully read the Dropbox tems of service the limitation is not just to your Public folder. However if you do not give out your URL for your public folder then it is unlikely that anyone will care.

Calibre2opds also has an option to 'obfusticate' file names for the catalog files so that it would be much harder to 'guess' them. This means even if someone guessed the base URL for your Public folder they would find it difficult to find the catalog files.
I'm definitely not paranoid! But I also didn't want my Dropbox acct cancelled, as I have tons of stuff on there that I really need. I wasn't aware that this had only happened to one person. I'm currently storing my Calibre database in Dropbox, but not in the public folder. Are you saying that I'm not really in any danger of moving it to the public folder if I don't give the URL to anyone? (not that I was ever planning to)

Thanks for the info.
Hondo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #37
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Just a side suggestion for both of you as you finish the development on the Android application. With Apple seemingly moving to tighten down iTunes access/integration a similar application my be beneficial on the iOS ecosystem as well. You probably already are thinking along those lines, but just thought I would pass my .02 along.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #38
Bajan_gurl
Bajan_gurl began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 101IT
Talking Count me in!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post

Question 1: would you prefer that we released ASAP a version that connects as a device but has no support for the content server, or instead that we wait for a release that supports both device and content server connectivity in the initial version?
Finally an app I can pay for and not get tired of using in a month.... Bring it on!

Quote:

Question 2: are any of you running calibre on a traveling computer such as a laptop that connects to public wifi networks that should be considered as not secure?
I don't travel as much as I used to plus I do have plenty books on my device so I can wait for a secure network.
Bajan_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #39
simon2e
Old-style hacker
simon2e began at the beginning.

Device: rooted Nook Color, iOS's, eInk soon
Put me down for beta testing, please. I'll buy the app now if it delivers on the wireless calibre syncing, content server support is a very nice to have but can follow later. The feature list is great, especially device status syncing and the target folder controls, I use different reader apps for different formats.

I've just dusted off my Nook Color and put a recent stable Android on it, v2.3.7 (CM7.2 kang). There may be more rooted Nook readers out there than you suspect, especially if they're just running the stock software rooted to get additional apps (such as yours). The new Nook Simple Glowlight looks like moving lots of units too (at least one to me, anyway). Obviously I'm a bit of a Nook fan.

I often travel with my notebook (Macbook Air), although I'm thinking of shifting calibre onto a home machine to provide net access. This app with content server support would be brilliant for that.

I'm also an Apple iPad user, would buy the app for that too if available.
simon2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #40
scottfree
scottfree is on a distinguished road

Device: android
I have a Nexus 7 tablet and am using an FTP server on the tablet with NetDrive on the PC to mount the tablet as a drive letter. I can then use Connect To Folder to get Calibre going. Clunky but it works. Your app sounds much better. Let me know if I can help test or anything.
scottfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #41
josey
josey began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Please keep us updated about this app. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and need Calibre to manage my collection. I thought it would be so simple.... Will volunteer for beta testing for Icecream Sandwich
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #42
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you all for your comments.

We are making good progress toward a beta test. I don't want to promise a date, but it isn't weeks away. We have settled on a feature set for the beta and are now working through robustness and look-and-feel issues.

The beta will support:
  • Full support of calibre's device interface, including add and delete books, "on device", plugin notification, and automatic conversion.
  • Book display on the device grouped by title, author, tags, series, and publisher with first-letter navigation.
  • Book display grouped by custom fields.
  • Support for calibre's automatic metadata management facility. The app displays metadata supplied by calibre, not the metadata contained in the book's file.
  • One destination folder. Book format routing will come ASAP.
  • Launching of reader apps if they advertize their capabilities. It works with FBReader, Cool Reader, and Adobe reader. Kindle for Android does not play nice, so files to be read with it must be placed in the "kindle" folder. I haven't tried other reader apps.
  • Collections (similar to Sony collections, Nook shelves & Kindle collections). The collections will appear in the same way as grouping by tags/series etc. The collections will be managed by calibre similarly to calibre's collection management for Sony devices.
  • Simplified driver control in calibre. The driver can be started and stopped using the Connect/Share menu.
  • Optional password-protected access and rogue client flood-connection detection.
  • Manual IP setup in case the network/wifi router does not support finding calibre automatically or if the device and calibre are not on the same local network.
  • Support for Android 2.3 and up.

What won't be in the initial beta:
  • Multiple folder format routing. As noted above, this is a priority.
  • Detailed/complete metadata display (book details).
  • The content server interface.
  • Some menus, such as Setup, won't be as pretty as we would like.

Our current plan is to make the beta release available on Google Play so that updates will be rapidly available to testers. I will post here as soon as that happens.

Last edited by chaley; 08-07-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: 1) Collections will be in the beta. 2) custom field grouping will be in the beta.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #43
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon2e View Post
I'm also an Apple iPad user, would buy the app for that too if available.
We are planning on doing an iOS version, but it won't be available soon. Our feeling is that it is more important to finish the Android app before we start down another road.

And there is always the question of whether Apple will approve such an app. They might decide that it "competes" with iTunes. Apparently the only way to find out is to spend the time and energy to build the app, submit it for approval, then be told yes or no.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #44
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Thank you all for your comments.

We are making good progress toward a beta test. I don't want to promise a date, but it isn't weeks away. We have settled on a feature set for the beta and are now working through robustness and look-and-feel issues.

The beta will support:
  • Full support of calibre's device interface, including add and delete books, "on device", plugin notification, and automatic conversion.
  • Book display on the device grouped by title, author, tags, series, and publisher with first-letter navigation.
  • Support for calibre's automatic metadata management facility. The app displays metadata supplied by calibre, not the metadata contained in the book's file.
  • One destination folder. Book format routing will come ASAP.
  • Launching of reader apps if they advertize their capabilities. It works with FBReader, Cool Reader, and Adobe reader. Kindle for Android does not play nice, so files to be read with it must be placed in the "kindle" folder. I haven't tried other reader apps.
  • Simplified driver control in calibre. The driver can be started and stopped using the Connect/Share menu.
  • Optional password-protected access and rogue client flood-connection detection.
  • Manual IP setup in case the network/wifi router does not support finding calibre automatically or if the device and calibre are not on the same local network.
  • Support for Android 2.3 and up.

What won't be in the initial beta:
  • Multiple folder format routing. As noted above, this is a priority.
  • Collections (similar to Sony collections, Nook shelves & Kindle collections). The collections will appear in the same way as grouping by tags/series etc. The collections will be managed by calibre similarly to calibre's collection management for Sony devices.
  • Book display grouped by custom fields.
  • Detailed/complete metadata display (book details).
  • The content server interface.
  • Some menus, such as Setup, won't be as pretty as we would like.

Our current plan is to make the beta release available on Google Play so that updates will be rapidly available to testers. I will post here as soon as that happens.
I know this is for mostly new android devices that only support mtp. But would have loved to have been able to use it with my Nook Touch but that is android 2.1 if I recall correctly.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #45
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
The beta will support:
Sold!

My Nexus 7 arrives tomorrow just in time for your beta release.