Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
alchemyst
alchemyst began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Question New Sony PRS505 owner with 2 questions

I just got a Sony PRS505 a week ago - and so far I love it.

Got a couple of questions that may seem daft to those of you who know more about e-book readers than I (so that's probably everyone here).

1.) I have some ebooks that have txt files and a jpg of the book cover, inside a folder. But - the Sony is NOT showing the cover pic. What do I have to do to get the cover pics to show on the Sony 505?

2.) I've read five books already on the new reader, (Stephen White - great author), and they were all in txt format. The text comes through fine - but there isn't any formatting.

So my second question is ... What format (aside from lrf) - is best to use with the Sony 505? rtf or doc? (I have some ebooks saved that are in html format, and I'm wondering what format I should convert to).

alchemyst
alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Welcome alchemyst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemyst View Post
1.) I have some ebooks that have txt files and a jpg of the book cover, inside a folder. But - the Sony is NOT showing the cover pic. What do I have to do to get the cover pics to show on the Sony 505?

2.) I've read five books already on the new reader, (Stephen White - great author), and they were all in txt format. The text comes through fine - but there isn't any formatting.

So my second question is ... What format (aside from lrf) - is best to use with the Sony 505? rtf or doc? (I have some ebooks saved that are in html format, and I'm wondering what format I should convert to).
Separate txt and jpg files cannot be recognized as a single ebook by a reading device.
Usually, there isn't any formatting in txt files.

Simple roadmap:
1) Try to format your text with a simple tool like a word processor.
2) Save the output as rtf or html.
3) Use Calibre (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Calibre) a great free tool developed by Kovid Goyal to convert your file to a format that your PRS supports (lrf or ePub).
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Welcome alchemyst!!

Glad you're enjoying your reader so far!!

My recommendation is to download Calibre and use it to convert your books to either LRF or ePub. It's really a very simple process. And Calibre will let you download meta-data and covers from the Internet for your books. It'll then insert the covers into your books.

By the way, the reader won't read doc files (the software converts them to rtf (I think) before uploading to the reader. Also, I haven't read any rtf files on my reader yet, but I seem to remember others posting that the reader will not support embedded graphics in rtf files.

Hope this helps--
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
And Calibre will let you download meta-data and covers from the Internet for your books.
Good point! I forgot to mention that!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Use Calibre to convert the file into LRF will be the best way. The new version 0.6 fixed a lot of bugs and conversion is very straight forward and easy
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
For the best results, use BookDesigner. It's a free program with all you need to create your ebooks importing from almost any format out there.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre has my vote too. I'm new to ebooks like you (don't even have the device yet - hopefully tomorrow!) and have already got a few of my books loaded into Calibre with fully correct metadata added. Am only converting a few files at a time into lrf though as I want to make sure I have the settings I find best before commiting to bulk converting them.

Is awesome software and very user friendly. Have hard alot of good stuff about Book Designer too but they also tend to say the software isn't user friendly at all and takes a while to get your head around.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I use both Calibre and Book Designer. For simple conversions, Calibre is definitely the way to go. It's very easy and the program does all the work for your.

Book Designer is what I use when I know a file is going to need a lot of manual formatting. Book Designer is a good program, but does have some quirks and bugs and is beginning to show it's age. (No ePub conversion for example.) As far as I know, there is no one actively supporting Book Designer, so it's unlikely that we'll ever see any updates to it.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
My personal preference is BookCreator

Basically it is a bunch of Macros for Word. You open the template, import your file and then use MS Word to format it. You then convert it to a format of your choice (you also have the option of adding a cover).

Once I have my file I then import to Calibre.

Personally I have found that the results look a little better than Calibre and you also have more control over what the formatting look like.

Each to their own though...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, alchemyst!

As others have told you, Calibre is the answer to your prayers! Converting the ebook files from txt to lrf using Calibre will clean them up and make them a joy to read. You can also download free ebooks in the lrf format here at MR that have been create by some of our members. Enjoy!

Happy Reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Whenever I get a txt file, I re-save it as rtf. It is virtually instantaneous, and then I can format it with whatever font I choose. Shows up great on the 505.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Whenever I get a txt file, I re-save it as rtf. It is virtually instantaneous, and then I can format it with whatever font I choose. Shows up great on the 505.
I do the same thing! I'm glad you posted it because I completely forgot that I do. I am getting so old!!!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I use (and love) Calibre for format conversion - invariably to epub in my case - but Calibre is so flexible you can adopt the format of your choice. (Every so often I fiddle with creating my own epub files - I have this strange, masochistic streak...)
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
alchemyst
alchemyst began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Thank you ...

My sincere thanks to all who replied with such helpful info.

Going now to download the suggested software ... very cool !

Thanks again,

Alchemyst
alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #15
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Welcome to the board! I can't help you any as I just use LRF and epub but there is a ton of calibre info here. You mentioned Stephen White and he is next on my list of new authors to try! He was recommended on the Michael Connelly board.

Good luck!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote