Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
More and more sloppy formatting

I've bought more than 100 books from Amazon since getting my K1 in Jan '08. Just recently, the last several books I've purchased are having more and more formatting problems. Non-hyphenated words having hyphens in the middle of the line, no spaces between paragraphs, no graph indentations, and the current book has, on almost every page, at least one instance of two words run together without a space.

I have written Amazon that it is about time they have somebody review new books, and if they are not properly formatted, they should not be listed, but bounced back to the publisher for correction. It is not as though Amazon does not have enough books listed that they have to be too anxious to list new ones that are deficient.

I trust everybody that finds these messy, stupid errors will send a feedback email asking that these be corrected. (fat chance Amazon will do this).

End rant.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I would volunteer to read books and, if there are format errors, I will document them all and email Amazon/Author/Publisher...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Out of curiosity, are you buying more "older" books, as opposed to new releases?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I also find many extra hyphens in the NYT - I get the Sunday editions for the book review section - and am continuously amazed at the introduction of hyphens - especially into names of people and locations.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Almost every book I've bought has errors on nearly every page. Not the kind of typos you see in a published book, like bad grammer and misspelled words. What I'm seeing is formatting problems indicative of sloppy conversions that are not proofread. For example, paragraphs beginning in the middle of sentences, inappropriate hyphenation, terrible OCR conversions, etc. Probably 99% of the errors I see could have been caught and corrected by proofreading.
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Proofreading is an extremely costly process. It's probably not economically viable for publishers who are doing "cheap and cheerful" conversions of back-catalog stuff.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Proofreading is an extremely costly process. It's probably not economically viable for publishers who are doing "cheap and cheerful" conversions of back-catalog stuff.
Having done a couple of homebrew dead-tree-to-ebook conversions, I can completely agree with this. It is a huge time sink, even taking out the dead tree part and doing just format conversions -- you still have to go through the whole darn thing.

If you are a publishing company and have two staffers assigned to working on eBook technical matters, it'd be a pretty daunting task to do all your expected job responsibilities AND proofread a dozen conversions a week.

However, I agree. I can take the occasional "carriage return didn't get converted to a space" or "hyphenation in the middle of a line" issues. I've seen some truly unreadable content too. The unreadable stuff should never had made it to Amazon -- not when you can spot-check a book and find this kind of problem in under thirty seconds!

So the publishers need to step up to the plate, Amazon needs to reject titles, and consumers need to beat on both for really badly done conversions.
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I am going to play a little devil's advocate here.

Almost 600 years ago, some guy named Gutenberg revolutionized the written word. He is credited with being the catalyst for the Renaissance period by providing a method of spreading ideas very quickly. Instead of a book taking a year to be copied by hand, it could be printed in a few hours.

The books made with the first moveable type printing press lacked pagination, indentations, and paragraph breaks due to limitations in the technology. This obviously was overcome in time with technology and processes to make the newly printed books easier to read.

I consider E-book readers in the same vein as the invention of moveable type. The time it takes to receive an idea via books has dropped another order of magnitude. And just like 600 years ago, it will take a little time for the rest of the processes to catch up to the new technology.

Just be happy to be apart of the beginnings of another Renaissance.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with the shoddy conversions if they were giving the books away or selling them at bargain prices. But publishers are selling unproofed books at full book prices. If publishers want to charge paperback prices or more for e-books, they need to provide the proofing that is a standard part of publishing process as well.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with the shoddy conversions if they were giving the books away or selling them at bargain prices. But publishers are selling unproofed books at full book prices. If publishers want to charge paperback prices or more for e-books, they need to provide the proofing that is a standard part of publishing process as well.
I agree. I also know how hard it is to thoroughly proof a scanned book. However many (maybe most) of these can be automatically found and corrected by appropriate SW or macros (or at least automatically scanned for & visually corrected, e.g. the carriage return is usually due to a page ending but not at aparagraph ending. This usually has a "section break" followed by a lower case letter.).

A little effort considering the price being charged shouldn't be too much to expect.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I don't think I'd have that big of an issue if 1) the books weren't priced at full price and 2) weren't locked into DRM so I couldn't "fix" the errors. I can't read books with those types of flaws. it drives me nuts. I'm a bit OCD though....
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The only way to get a change is if customers returns these books so it will cost amazon and the publisher money.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
An Australian library was quite successful in allowing users to submit corrections to OCRed texts.
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march09/holley/03holley.html
Quote:
User feedback returned via surveys, e-mails, phone calls and the "contact us" form has been overwhelmingly positive and interesting. Users did not expect to be able to correct OCR text. Once they discovered they could, they quickly took to the concept and method, and several reported finding correcting the text both addictive and rewarding. Users were actively correcting much more than they or we had expected to correct. In addition, our own users have the potential to achieve a 100% accuracy rate with their knowledge of English, history and context, whereas our contractors are only achieving an accuracy of 99.5% in the title headings.
I think Google or Amazon should implement something similar.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
This. I'm sorry, but when they're charging as much as a paperback DTB, I expect the same standards as you'd see in a DTB. If they aren't willing to invest in making an ebook version good, I'd rather they not release it at all.

There are so many potential ways to solve these issues that it's not even funny -- I'm sure volunteers could be recruited in exchange for free copies of many titles (and maybe a credit in the ebook edition). Or they could use a distributed proofreading model, as Alisa has suggested before, and allow readers to flag problems on the Kindle itself. But neither publishers nor Amazon seem to want to address quality problems in any solution-oriented way.

To the OP and others -- even if you don't have the time to get specific, I'd encourage you to submit the titles to this thread so that other readers are aware of the problem. I'd also suggest adding the tag "formatting problems" to the product page on Amazon.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I can understand sloppy formatting creeping into older books - that is, any title that has not been published in printed format for more than, say, 20 years.

But, surely, OCR and proofreading can't be an issue for more recent titles. For such books, the publisher must surely have a way of extracting the text for the ebook from their traditional composition systems. In other words, the text is already held electronically (complete with formatting tags), so converting it to an ebook should be a mechanical process.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote