Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-12-2020, 12:47 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Need Font Forge Guidance

I have a font that needs to be made heavier for use on e-ink.

Years ago, on Windows Vista, I tried Font Forge briefly, but only achieved serial crashes. Now on Windows 10, I want to try again.
I had a baby-step walk-through tutorial on how to do that embolding in Font Forge, but it is no longer available, and my Google-fu is not working.

Does anyone know of a simple EASY-TO-FOLLOW tutorial to embolden an existing font?
Or can provide me with a baby-step recipe???

I will bake quantities of cyber-cookies for any helper!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post

Years ago, on Windows Vista, I tried Font Forge briefly, but only achieved serial crashes. Now on Windows 10, I want to try again.
I had a baby-step walk-through tutorial on how to do that embolding in Font Forge, but it is no longer available, and my Google-fu is not working.

Does anyone know of a simple EASY-TO-FOLLOW tutorial to embolden an existing font?

I did find this on MR. Hope it will help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=276088
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, Jon --- have some chocolate-chip cookies! Or would you rather gingersnaps?

I will have to do some fiddling with that. Maybe I will get better results than with FF by itself.

I did try just the straight-forward Element->Style->Change Weight, and then Generate Font. I got error/warning messages (see attached pics).

If I set the weight too heavy, I would get message that the generation Failed. When I cut down to setting of 25 or less, it still gave the warnings, but DID generate finally.

My question now is, will there be any problems using this font even though it has those errors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	256
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	177671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	254
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	177672  

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-12-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:55 AM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thank you, Jon --- have some chocolate-chip cookies! Or would you rather gingersnaps?

I will have to do some fiddling with that. Maybe I will get better results than with FF by itself.

I did try just the straight-forward Element->Style->Change Weight, and then Generate Font. I got error/warning messages (see attached pics).

If I set the weight too heavy, I would get message that the generation Failed. When I cut down to setting of 25 or less, it still gave the warnings, but DID generate finally. My question now is, will there be any problems using this font even though it has those errors?

I was playing around with Font Forge not too long ago and would often get those errors in your first screen capture. My memory was that the fonts still appeared to work. I don't remember exactly what I was doing but it was probably converting between different font file formats.

Last edited by hobnail; 03-13-2020 at 02:59 AM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@hobnail -- good to know. I will take a chance on embedding this font (only for chapter heads, anyway, so no huge hit if it falls back to the user's choice).

Thanks for your input.
Advert
Old 03-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
@hobnail -- good to know. I will take a chance on embedding this font (only for chapter heads, anyway, so no huge hit if it falls back to the user's choice).

Thanks for your input.
Lots of fonts have errors yet appear to work just fine. Think to do is to embed and if it works then you are good to go.

What font is there that you are adding weight to?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:

On this 2017 link you'll find a link to download the excellent Sherman Perry script ReadifyFontGUI.py which worked quite well for my Linux Libertine font.

I tried it recently and it still works quite well. I am a Linux user. It can darken the font (I tested it with 20, 25, 30 and finally settled with the 30 value that I still use today). It can rename fonts.

Last edited by roger64; 03-14-2020 at 02:46 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:52 AM   #8
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@roger --- I will have to try installing this script on Windows 10, and see if I can learn to use it correctly. Thank you!!!!

@Jon --- Font is "Bilbo" a handwriting font by Robert E. Leuschke ( TypeSETit )
under Open Font License. I used it for chapter titles in Wind in the Willows, just uploaded. I *think* I got the weight ok, and that it works all right (tried in ADE for PC, and in Kindle Previewer).
Old 03-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
@roger --- I will have to try installing this script on Windows 10, and see if I can learn to use it correctly. Thank you!!!!

@Jon --- Font is "Bilbo" a handwriting font by Robert E. Leuschke ( TypeSETit )
under Open Font License. I used it for chapter titles in Wind in the Willows, just uploaded. I *think* I got the weight ok, and that it works all right (tried in ADE for PC, and in Kindle Previewer).
Ah, good old Bilbo and its sibling, Bilbo Swash Caps. Yup, that one gets around!

Every time I think about that font, I think about Zapfino. They're like my personal bête noires. Not that I don't like them--I do. But they seem to constantly put me into weird problems--like someone has used Zapfino in their word processor--and italicized it. I mean, spiffy, if you can do that, but you can't make that happen in an eBook. Ditto what you've just gone through with Bilbo, same thing--it's AWFULLY light. Tricky on some eInks.

I've spent a fair amount of time cursing Zapf, I tell ya! And it's odd that with all the time that's passed, etc., good replacements for Zapfino are still few and far between. Yes, he came out with Forte, about 17 years ago, but still...that's a bold(ish) version, not an "italicized" version, whatever the hell italicized Zapfino would mean....I mean, italicized calligraphy? Kinda makes my brain hurt.

Sheesh. Fonts. There are days when I think that they're out to get me.

I'm glad it's working for you, GG! Congrats on conquering FontForge.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:24 AM   #10
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

HA! Conquered, indeed. I poked some meat through the bars of the cage, and the bear just *happened* to feel like standing on his hind legs just at that moment.

That doesn't make me a bear trainer.

I will keep hunting for usable tutorials, and see if I can get any sort of understanding of FF. (The joys of applications with no "end-user testing" for "ease-of-use", "intuitive UI", etc, etc, etc. Mustn't complain, the price is right!)

PS -- I found Bilbo uppercase to have some awkward kerning in spots (too wide for my taste), so did some manual adjustments here and there. A real "fontographer" (well, what DO you call them?) would scream to see how I abused this font!

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-23-2020 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
typographer.

But I like yours more better, it has the aura of being a black art

This variant of 'font' stems from the same source as 'fondue' - another black art.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #12
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hi

This is what I obtained in three minutes to darken (value 25) the Bilbo swash using fontforge and the script ReadifyGUI.py

I renamed the darkened font adding a g to its original name
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bilbo.png
Views:	237
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	177881  
Attached Files
File Type: zip swash.zip (66.4 KB, 231 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #13
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@roger -- Whee! Thank you!! It looks very good in my font manager. I will have to try it out by embedding -- I know it will look great.

I am thinking now of all the fonts I passed by in the past, because they were too thin and light for e-reading. I will absolutely have to get familiar with that script you posted about.

Thank you again!

Old 03-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #14
roger64
Wizard

You're welcome.

I need a single command to launch the GUI. (see screenshot)

Code:
fontforge -script ReadifyFontGUI.py
I have fontforge (obviously), python, Qt5 installed. I do not remember if I am missing some other thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	readify.png
Views:	230
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	177893