Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
jfreijser
jfreijser began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Kindle app for iPhone NOT in Europe !!!

Since the release of the Kindle App for iPhone and iPod Touch, I have been amazed by the total silence around its unavailability outside the USA. iTunes store simply says: Not available in the Dutch store (I am Dutch). On the whole www I hardly find any reference to this issue, this MobileRead Forum being one of very few exceptions.
I want to know the reasons behind it, are there copyright issues that have been solved in the US and not in Europe? That couldn't really be it, as the Kindle reader is available to a global audience.
In a post by a German contributor I read that Amazon tried to strike a deal with T-Mobile and another German mobile provider. I wonder what the hell these companies have to do with it! I have a mobile device allowing internet connectivity via wifi, and I have nothing to do with mobile telephone service providers!

Is it all caused by Apple's decision to strike an exclusive deal with T-mobile for the iPhone ? In the history of making useful technology, this was the WORST decision Apple has ever made.
Thanks for anyone being able to shed more light on the topic.
Also thanks for anyone pointing me in the direction of some or other shortcut, if you get my drift.
cheers, Jan
jfreijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Actually, the Kindle app for iPhone can be obtained in Europe. But, like so much else about using the Kindle outside the States, you have to jump through a few hoops.

What you need to do is to go to iTunes, and select United States as your country (in the drop-down at the bottom of the screen when in the iTunes store). You must then set up a new account within iTunes. Use a different name from your usual account. You will need to give an American address, so find a State-side friend or colleague who is willing to let you use their address. You won't need to enter any credit card details.

Now go back to the iTunes Store and search for the Kindle app, which should be visible. Go ahead and "purchase" it. Don't worry. It's free, so you still won't need a credit card.

Now reset iTunes to your normally country. Connect your iPhone and sync it in the usual way.

The Kindle app will now appear on the iPod Home page. Open it. It will prompt you to register with Amazon. Do that, using the same Amazon ID and password to which your Kindle is registered.

You should now be able to access your Kindle books, download samples, and purchase new books, all from the iPhone (assuming, of course, you have a Kindle account). When downloading samples, the name of your iPhone will appear in the drop-down menu in the page from which you purchase the book.

I've been using the Kindle app on my iPhone Touch for the last two months without any difficulty.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
drzeller
drzeller has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PC, Windows Mobile Phones
I would guess that the non-availability is tied to the rights for publishing the books in other countries. It may not be Amazon, either; their current publishers may not have the rights to publish the books in other countries.

re: the Kindle being available globally. Is it? I thought that sales of the Kindle were tied to having a US billing address. I again guess this is for the same reason above -- they are only make sales "in" the US.

D.

Last edited by drzeller; 06-29-2009 at 10:04 AM.
drzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The Kindle is available globally only if you buy it from a 3rd party (relative, ebay, etc) and use work around gift cards.

Unless, of course, you buy it and register it here (US) and take it overseas.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
You can get content for the iPhone/iPod Kindle app only from the Kindle store so you also need a US Amazon account to download books. If you don't have a US Amazon account, then the app is kinda worthless which is probably why it's only available in the US.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Buying Kindle books for the iPhone in Australia - a success story which gives you an idea of what is involved (similar to Mike L's post). If you want access to the Kindle store from outside the US using a iPhone/iPod Touch is probably the simplest way to do this.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzeller View Post
re: the Kindle being available globally. Is it?
Not really. Amazon will only sell you a Kindle if you have a US delivery address. It's the same if you want to buy Kindle content from Amazon, or install the Kindle for iPhone app.

As far as Amazon is concerned, it's a US-only product.

That doesn't prevent people like me from getting hold of one. But it does involve unofficial strategies and workarounds. Like all workarounds, there's no guarantee that they will always work.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #8
jfreijser
jfreijser began at the beginning.

Dear Mike and Wallcraft,
Thanks for the info! I get the picture of what needs to be done
I found I had no problems reading stuff on the iPod, in fact I like it, so it prompted me to decide I would try getting ebooks for the iPod rather than buying the still expensive Kindle device, which apparently is not officially available outside Europe either.
Isn't this something useful for the European Commission to spend some time on, ie. getting this crazy situation sorted out?
jfreijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard

Jfreijser,

I've read a couple of short books on my iPod Touch. I wouldn't say it was a completely comfortable experience, but it wasn't that bad. If you've already got an iPhone or Touch, it's a good option compared to buying a Kindle.

The other day I jumped on a bus for a 65-minute journey, only to find I didn't have my Kindle or any books with me. Then I remembered I had Edgar Wallace's The Four Just Men on my Touch. I was completely absorbed in it, and if I hand't finished it I might have missed my stop. But that's more to do with it being an exciting story rather than anything to do with the iPod.

Re your point about the EC. I don't think this will fall within their remit. It's not as if Amazon are being anti-competitive. Just the opposite, in fact.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #10
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just to let you know that I have read all Dan Brown's novels with Kindle app on my iphone. Very convenient because the phone is in my pant all the time! I read in the skytrain, coffee shop, waiting lines, rest room, on my bed, etc...
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Yeah I noticed this last week when I mentioned it to an Australian friend and he couldn't get the app. Disappointing but hopefully soon publishers will work out the licensing nightmares and have global distribution.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreijser View Post
Dear Mike and Wallcraft,
Isn't this something useful for the European Commission to spend some time on, ie. getting this crazy situation sorted out?
The problem seems to be primarily a publishing permissions one (along with the wireless issue). Nothing for the EU to take action on.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
The problem seems to be primarily a publishing permissions one (along with the wireless issue). Nothing for the EU to take action on.
Yes, that was my point as well. If it had been an anti-competitive issue, it would be different, but that's obviously not the case.

Tags
europe, iphone, ipodtouch, kindle