Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Fvek
Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Touch
JOE (Joe's Own Editor) compiled for Kindle

If you need a text editor for your kindle and vi is too esoteric for you, here's joe (http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/).

You will need xterm (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179286) or some other terminal to use it on the Kindle Touch's screen (as mentioned below, works on its own via ssh).
Attached Files
File Type: zip joe-3.7-kindle_touch-1.0.0.zip (483.3 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by Fvek; 08-01-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: clarify
Fvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Or you can ssh into your Kindle and use it from there.

Although for me, busybox' vi is not too esoteric but too limited and I just today crosscompiled a real vim for the Kindle Touch.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvek View Post
If you need a text editor for your kindle and vi is too esoteric for you, here's joe (http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/).

You will need xterm (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179286) or some other terminal to use it.
I have been using nano on my kindles, but now that I know that joe uses WordStar keys, I will have to use joe instead. My "muscle memory" knows the WordStar keys from the olden days, and that really aids my "coding trance" sessions. Thanks!

EDIT: This will only work for me using SSH. Now we need to get USB OTG working for external keyboard access too!

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-01-2012 at 08:05 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Binaries compiled for K5 are not compatible with K3 or earlier, correct? I would love to try JOE (i've never heard of it...) but i prefer Vim. (if only i could figure out what i'm doing wrong when i try to set up cross compiling....)

Last edited by qlob; 08-01-2012 at 02:35 PM.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Binaries compiled for K5 are not compatible with K3 or earlier, correct? I would love to try JOE (i've never heard of it...) but i prefer Vim. (if only i could figure out what i'm doing wrong when i try to set up cross compiling....)
In many cases you can static link programs so that they are not dependent on loadable libraries. But for native mode programs you may have hardware dependencies, such as keyboard or touchscreen compatibility.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
In many cases you can static link programs so that they are not dependent on loadable libraries.
OK, thanks for the advice... I remember looking for it in some program i was trying to compile (IIRC it was irssi), but i couldn't find it... my next project is to try to compile Finch (command line version of pidgin, my favorite IM client of all time... I'm pretty sure it does static linking, but I'm not sure..)

Still, my original question remains unanswered.... I cannot use this KT binary on my K3 because the KT is ARMv7, right?

Last edited by qlob; 08-01-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Still, my original question remains unanswered.... I cannot use this KT binary on my K3 because the KT is ARMv7, right?
It may work. You will not know for sure if you do not try it. You will only have problems running K5 software on a K3 if it depends on something that is in the K5 but not in the K3, whether that is a newer loadable library, or a touchscreen, or newer CPU instructions that the older CPU does not support. Well-written software should fall back to software methods when hardware is missing (such as software floating point on computers that do not have floating point hardware). I try to write code that runs on all the eink kindles, such as most of my various demos that I published here. You can use my source code in your programs to do the same stuff.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-01-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@qlob: As GM said, depending on the CFLAGS used for the build (and the code), you may well run into shiny 'illegal instructions' runtime failures, if you use something tailored for the K5 cpu on an older CPU .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@qlob: As GM said, depending on the CFLAGS used for the build (and the code), you may well run into shiny 'illegal instructions' runtime failures, if you use something tailored for the K5 cpu on an older CPU .
Just be careful not to accidentally execute an illegal HCF instruction (Halt and Catch Fire).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-01-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: Ha! That led me to the 'Killer poke' article, mentioning the floppy drive of Commodore's Amiga, and brought back a flood of memories... That thing made a truly glorious sound!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Just be careful not to accidentally execute an illegal HCF instruction.
That is not possible, the processor core will execute an: "Illegal instruction" trap.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is not possible, the processor core will execute an: "Illegal instruction" trap.
Actually, your claim is not true for the ARM7TDMI (and others):
Quote:
ARM architecture reference manual, chapter 3.13, "Extending the instruction set". "UNPREDICTABLE" instructions are not caught by the undefined instruction exception.
Saying things are "not possible" is an absolute statement, and we should know by now that speaking in absolutes risks unwitting propagation of falsehoods.

Or... are you just saying that the HCF instruction gets trapped?

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-01-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
qlob
Official Lurker

This binary doesn't work for the K3 -- it wants GLIBC 2.7

Oh well, ill stick with vi for now
Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
This binary doesn't work for the K3 -- it wants GLIBC 2.7

Oh well, ill stick with vi for now
There is a working (I just tested) Kindle 3 vim binary here:

https://github.com/skyleecm/vim-for-kindle

Just don't forget to add appropriate /opt/share/vim/syntax files (if you need them) to get rid of the annoying message on each startup saying "can't open bla-blah..."
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Vim? Isn't that for cleaning things?

This is great, appreciate the linky

And a Word To The (un)Wise:

Quote:
ERR? I'm using Myts, How do I exit vim (on a 3)?
Here are those pesky codes to get yourself out

Quote:
Aa+c
Back+.
q
Back+q
Enter
is: escape colon kuew bang

like ^c:q!

(you just haven't lived unless you've been stuck inside an editor with the rootfs rw and root permissions - with absolutely no idea of the keycodes to exit)

Ah happy days, thanks for the hookup, I've put it on the awesome pile.
Oh, and it "just works" no fiddling. on 3.4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_079.png
Views:	368
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	92478  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, editor, joe, kindle