Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #196
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, I just thought maybe someone more experienced in making LRF books would know some tricks to handle the tables. My experience so far is limited to running lit2lrf
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #197
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I would like to request a BBeB version of the CIA World Factbook. I tried doing a quick conversion myself using html2lrf but the tables are not fun to deal with...
I hear you, those tables can be a pain sometimes.

I was, however, able to get the CIA World Factbook 2005 onto my REB 1200 (see Fictionwise ebook) as well as today convert my source to mobipocket format here.

I know you requested the BBeB version, but the BBeB conversion using mobi2lrf I tried, ran out of memory. Now I'm using the html2lrf from libprs500 and that is taking forever (approx. 3 hrs now with no progress indicator!).

In the meantime, perhaps someone else can use the .prc version to produce a BBeB version.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #198
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could always do what I've done with some of my books: make a screen dump of the table in the web browser, and include it as a graphical image in the book.
Good idea, HarryT. I've struggled with tables and hadn't found a way to deal with them well. Thanks, I'll try that.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #199
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Good idea, HarryT. I've struggled with tables and hadn't found a way to deal with them well. Thanks, I'll try that.
It's a technique which has a number of uses. Some things I've used it for are:

- Including brief passages of Greek in an eBook, where the reader wouldn't normally have had a Greek font available.

- Diagrams and other such things done with ASCII characters which reply on monospaced fonts. I've just done this, for example, with a genealogical chart in a book I'm working on at the moment.

If it's just black and white text, it generally compresses extremely efficiently as a GIF file, so it has no significant impact on the size of the resulting book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #200
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
It's a technique which has a number of uses. Some things I've used it for are:

- Including brief passages of Greek in an eBook, where the reader wouldn't normally have had a Greek font available.

- Diagrams and other such things done with ASCII characters which reply on monospaced fonts. I've just done this, for example, with a genealogical chart in a book I'm working on at the moment.

If it's just black and white text, it generally compresses extremely efficiently as a GIF file, so it has no significant impact on the size of the resulting book.
GIF or PNG are best while JPG can be annoying due to artifacts in the blank areas and at the edge of characters but it can be livable if it is the only choice. Another good use for this technique is equations. If the target format supports monospaced it is sometimes better to switch fonts and then use spaces for formatting if possible. When using images to represent formatted text the pixel width is important. Try to limit any surrounding white space. A given reader may shrink the image resulting in very difficult to read text.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #201
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Does anyone know if the Lensman Series by EE Smith is available for conversion? Triplanetary, the original novelette has been posted, but the full Lensman treatment has not and I can't find source for the rest of the series. I'd like to try my hand at e-booking, and thought this would be a great place to start if I could find the source.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #202
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The novels are still in copyright, to the best of my knowledge. What's been posted are the original magazine versions, for which copyright was not renewed, as used to be required in the US.

Nothing of Dr. Smith's is in the public domain outside the USA.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #203
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Does anyone know if the Lensman Series by EE Smith is available for conversion? Triplanetary, the original novelette has been posted, but the full Lensman treatment has not and I can't find source for the rest of the series. I'd like to try my hand at e-booking, and thought this would be a great place to start if I could find the source.
AFAIK, no. I believe the novel versions still have the rights encumbered.

Mike Walsh of Olde Earth Books has a lovelt trade paperback set out, with the original chapter heading ilustrations, but I'm not aware of any legit electronic editions, or source for same.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #204
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
The novels are still in copyright, to the best of my knowledge. What's been posted are the original magazine versions, for which copyright was not renewed, as used to be required in the US.

Nothing of Dr. Smith's is in the public domain outside the USA.
Dang! Wish they'd get on board with e-versions, then!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #205
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just checked and he died in 1965, so his books will enter the public domain in "life + 50" countries in 2016.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:50 AM   #206
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Request: The Starr Report in LRF format with hyperlinks? Pretty please?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What is a "Star report"?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #208
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Harry, I believe he/she means the report on Clinton regarding Lewinsky et al by Kenneth Starr: http://thomas.loc.gov/icreport/
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #209
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Request: The Starr Report in LRF format with hyperlinks? Pretty please?
There is a Flash version floating around. It was a big improvement. I'll see if I can find it again.

(Give it a second. It'll come to you.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #210
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Harry, I believe he/she means the report on Clinton regarding Lewinsky et al by Kenneth Starr: http://thomas.loc.gov/icreport/
I see - thanks. Not my idea of a "fun read" .