Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
OrangeFlavored
Enthusiast
OrangeFlavored doesn't litterOrangeFlavored doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Is there any way to calculate page numbers better for H2O?

I recently upgraded from a 1st generation Kindle Paperwhite to a Kobo Aura H2O, liking it pretty well so far but curious if there's any way to calculate page numbers any better than the default way that happens when I move my sideloaded books over on Calibre.

With my Paperwhite I know there was an option to enable accurate page number calculation which, while not necessarily exactly the same as the numbering in the print edition, would at least give a pretty reasonable estimate that was usually somewhat close. I noticed that this option does not exist for the H2O's plugin though, and whatever method it uses tends to make really bad estimates of page numbers, usually much less pages than it should be. (For example this book I'm reading now was estimated at 400 pages on my Paperwhite and 165 on the H2O.)

Is there any way to fix this and make the calculation closer to what I'd expect an actual page count to look like?
OrangeFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Reading ePubs uses the standard Adobe page number calculation. ADE describes in a high level the ADE calculation. Do note that the
Quote:
1024 unicode characters as the page size
refers to the size of the compressed content within the ePub file, and not the expansion of the content.

Some general discussion can be found in the Wiki at Page_numbers.

Some books do contain an Adobe pagemap which does make the number displayed closer to what you would expect.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFlavored View Post
I recently upgraded from a 1st generation Kindle Paperwhite to a Kobo Aura H2O, liking it pretty well so far but curious if there's any way to calculate page numbers any better than the default way that happens when I move my sideloaded books over on Calibre.

With my Paperwhite I know there was an option to enable accurate page number calculation which, while not necessarily exactly the same as the numbering in the print edition, would at least give a pretty reasonable estimate that was usually somewhat close. I noticed that this option does not exist for the H2O's plugin though, and whatever method it uses tends to make really bad estimates of page numbers, usually much less pages than it should be. (For example this book I'm reading now was estimated at 400 pages on my Paperwhite and 165 on the H2O.)

Is there any way to fix this and make the calculation closer to what I'd expect an actual page count to look like?
To add to PeterT's comment, the Adobe page number calculation is independent of the screen size so you can go to page 100 on any device using this algorithm and be on the same page. Page 100 on my iPad is the same page as page 100 on my Glo though it may take a lot more screens to get there on the Glo.

As for worrying about matching page numbers to a dead tree book, there is Adobe's page-map setup which lets you come close to that but then you get into the arguments about which dead-tree edition are we matching. I have 3 editions of one book which vary from 300 to 420 pages (paperback, hard cover and special edition hardcover).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
OrangeFlavored
Enthusiast
OrangeFlavored doesn't litterOrangeFlavored doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
To add to PeterT's comment, the Adobe page number calculation is independent of the screen size so you can go to page 100 on any device using this algorithm and be on the same page. Page 100 on my iPad is the same page as page 100 on my Glo though it may take a lot more screens to get there on the Glo.

As for worrying about matching page numbers to a dead tree book, there is Adobe's page-map setup which lets you come close to that but then you get into the arguments about which dead-tree edition are we matching. I have 3 editions of one book which vary from 300 to 420 pages (paperback, hard cover and special edition hardcover).
Might look into that though manually doing it for each book seems like a pain so maybe I'll just leave it how it is. Anyway thanks for the answer.
OrangeFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote