Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #91
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
. I'm impressed with its ability to mix hand written content when typed content. You can stick graphics in there just anything. And I know this is silly but one of the things I really like about it is I can switch to graph paper rather than ruled lines.

Interesting to know that it's if not as good as maybe in a little bit better than s note. pretty much every review I've come across have all been very positive.
It doesn't even measure up to s pen. SPen right now is the best app at what it does. I've tried many apps, such as write, quil, lecture notes, sketchbook,etc... and they don't measure up. That is not to say they are not good. Spen is just better. Spen also works with Samsung's multi screen interface which is also a big plus.

Because this app is so feature rich it does have a larger learning curve than the others.

My only grip with Spen is the file format is proprietary so there is no way to archive your work unless you stick exclusively with Samsung.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #92
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Is there a desktop application that will import S-Note notes?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #93
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
From XDA Developers:

Quote:
rename files from .snb to .zip then open in explorer that will solve your issue. go into the snote folder in the zip file and then the media. the .jpg files will be images of your notes.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #94
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
From XDA Developers:
Thank you, didn't know it was that easy.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #95
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It doesn't even measure up to s pen. SPen right now is the best app at what it does. I've tried many apps, such as write, quil, lecture notes, sketchbook,etc... and they don't measure up. That is not to say they are not good. Spen is just better. Spen also works with Samsung's multi screen interface which is also a big plus.

Because this app is so feature rich it does have a larger learning curve than the others.

My only grip with Spen is the file format is proprietary so there is no way to archive your work unless you stick exclusively with Samsung.
Quote:
A little more on this...

Just tried it, and yes, you can get at you drawing this way, but it's not the greatest. It seems that Snote saves as an Office Open XML format, so there may be hope of a better way in the future.

Or just continue to export as Jpeg of Pdf for archiving.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #96
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I thought this comparison by Gizmag between the Note and the Kindle Fire HD was interesting: http://www.gizmag.com/kindle-fire-hd...parison/27231/

Quote:
These tablets don’t really have a lot in common. Both are worthy alternatives to the iPad or iPad mini. But that’s about where the similarities end.

thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #97
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Can anyone confirm if the Note 8 is compatible with the Wacom Bamboo feel stylus? I have seen a youtube video of someone writing with the wacom stylus, but wacom the company does not say if it is Note 8 compatible (just Note 10.1).

Also, if someone can confirm if it works, how does it compare to the S-pen?
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #98
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well I'm a Sliver RZ member at Best Buy so I get 60 days to try it and see if the price drops in that timeframe. Maybe if sales aren't great but I may just as well end up waiting it out and see about other devices that will be released shortly.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #99
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Couldn't hold back anymore, just ordered one together with the Book Case Cover. Should arrive next week.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #100
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
I had a chance to play with the Note 8 at Staples two days ago. I can only say from first touch I was sold. The feel in my hand was tremendous. Solid but not heavy. I never felt like I would drop it either. One of the guys who works the computer section is pretty cool so he untethered it for me so I could get a truer sense of the thing in my hand. All of the above were made even better.

I found the display to appear higher resolution than it's spec. I had my TF700t (Asus Transformer Infinity) and it's nifty 1920x1200 display with me. Side by side the Note 8 looked every bit as crisp as the Infinity. The color temperature of the Note 8 is quite a bit warmer (leans toward red spectrum in this case a warm yellowish like old incandescent light bulbs) than the Infinity panel which tends to a cooler color temp (meaning more toward blue spectrum). Neither devices is really all that great at color accuracy though. This is one of my biggest frustrations with the Android devices I've owned. I would add there was far less, if any, color banding on darks/blacks with the Samsung, especially compared to the Infinity. I still prefer the look of the Infinity panel but that might simply be because I've gotten used to it and the warmer look feels a bit off. However for reading and note taking I think the warmer Note 8 panel would be a lot nicer to work with.

The Note 8 was quite snappy performance wise with no perceptible lag. I did not load any new apps though I was able to connect to the Play store. I don't think this is something you can judge in store. Only when you really load up your device with apps will ya know if it's up to dealing with the matter of lazy coding by so many Android developers when dealing with performance. I've had higher hopes in this area but at least the Note 8 does something right even if it's slight-of-hand when looking at responsiveness.

Note taking, I had doubts an 8" device would be big enough. After playing in S-Note for over 30-mins I am confident it would serve my needs very well. I would not want to write long papers on it but for jotting down brief notes and reminders as well as diagramming whatever the beastie is pretty much idea. The sense I had from picking it up was that of a "steno pad" in terms of size. That form factor has worked very well for a LOT of decades and no reason to move away too far. I did find myself wishing it was about a half-inch longer and maybe a couple inches taller/longer in portrait orientation. I could see that becoming a non-factor after daily user.

I didn't even mind the white case, and I HATE white cases...still if they did not cheap out and went back to their laptop design morgues to for the formula of a good magnesium case it would feel perfect plus be far more durable and protective.

Last, depending on the ability to get notes moved to your PC (whatever your OS orientation) the danged thing is almost a must have for a student, researcher or anyone who wants to truly move to a paperless note taking setup. Based on my 45-mins it feels like, for me, the ultimate companion device. I could see myself being happy with something like the Note 8 and a larger tablet as my only to work devices. I really was blown away and that never happens anymore because devices all seem at most minor incremental upgrades from previous models or those of competitors.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #101
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please let us know your ongoing impressions as you use it for real!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #102
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To add to rkw's post, I have read that the Lecture Note's app in the play store is very very good and the alternative for many instead of s-note.

I keep fooling with the 8.0 in Best Buy. It may be priced fairly but not what I want to pay.

Last edited by robertc88; 07-01-2013 at 03:36 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #103
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
To add to rkw's post, I have read that the Lecture Note's app in the play store is very very good and the alternative for many instead of s-note.

I keep fooling with the 8.0 in Best Buy. It may be priced fairly but not what I want to pay.
There is an app called Mobile Notes, it turns handwritten notes into digital text. With a device using a stylus it is impressively accurate. With LectureNotes you put in tags separately if you need to search for notes, on the other hand the ink capability is very realistic.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #104
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please let us know your ongoing impressions as you use it for real!
Man Harry, get outta my head. I have actually decided to buy the N8. It's now a matter of the best price-return policy combo.

I was going to replace my KF1 with the super deal we have here in the US for the Nook HD+. However, after spending that hour+ with the N8 it should be a dandy device for me at work and anywhere else for that matter.

So thanks for sitting on my shoulder whispering "just buy it, you know you want too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I already bought and use Lecture Note. I use it mostly on the tf700t (Asus Transformer Infinity). It's very good, still I want to compare w/S-note.

Quote:
All in it will indeed be a bit of premium over other brand name 8" class devices. Not prohibitively though. Were it not for the microSD slot I would wait as I really do expect it to play vids us need to keep file backups somehow.
Should be here before be end of the week. Sheesh, I keep getting ducked back into the Android world when it really is not what I need OS wise. You just can't touch anything like the N8 running Win8 for $350 and active digitizer today.

Last edited by rkw; 07-01-2013 at 04:34 PM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #105
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

Quote:
Couldn't hold back anymore, just ordered one together with the Book Case Cover. Should arrive next week.

I got a bluetooth keyboard cover instead of a book cover. Below is a pic of my "Maxium input mode" . Only trouble, if I want to use a larger monitor, I have to disconnect the mouse (can't find a strictly bluetooth mouse), but the keyboard has arrow keys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	max input mode.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	107558