Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
adreamer
adreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Paperwhite 2
Tamil font rendering in ePub(device: jetBook Lite)

I created an ePub using Sigil with embedded font. It is showing correctly in Sigil (on my Linux box). However, when I try to read the book using jetBook Lite (latest version has ADE support), ADE is not rendering it properly. I understand that it should be an issue with ADE, but any ideas on why it is not rendering properly?
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Can you try it on the Windows ADE to see if it shows fine there?

Post the CSS and some of the html code here to see if you missed something
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
adreamer

Tested in Windows ADE and it didn't work! Not sure what is the issue as both Calibre and Sigil renders correctly in Linux. I've attached the book with this. Please let me know whether I've missed something.
Attached Files
File Type: epub part1.epub (476.2 KB, 571 views)
Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreamer View Post
Tested in Windows ADE and it didn't work! Not sure what is the issue as both Calibre and Sigil renders correctly in Linux. I've attached the book with this. Please let me know whether I've missed something.
That document displays correctly in epubreader and Sigil on Windows PC as well. The font appears to be correctly embedded. The only strangeness that I see is that the metadata declares the document language to be English. All the XHTM that I looked at specified English, and the document encoding was not specified as UTF-8.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
I am not an EPUB expert, but I wonder if that is confusing ADE?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
The code looks fine but the font doesn't show. It may be a limitation of ADE or I might have missed something, any ePub experts care to chime in?
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
It renders fine in my Windows ADE (Vista), even the TOC, on my PC.

After transferring to my Sony reader, it displayed well also, except for the TOC, where the chapters displayed as dark 0 shaped characters.

In the hope this might give a clue to someone.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are spots where I get lines with ?????? because ADE doesn't know what to render. Those lines also need to have an embedded font. But otherwise, the embedded font does display in ADE for Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
adreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are spots where I get lines with ?????? because ADE doesn't know what to render. Those lines also need to have an embedded font. But otherwise, the embedded font does display in ADE for Windows.
Yes. I missed attaching one more font. However, the actual characters displayed by Windows ADE is not correct. Glyphs are broken. Interestingly, these are broken in Mac version of Sigil and Calibre also. Looks like different platforms (Linux, Windows vs Mac, ADE) use different techniques for rendering the fonts. I'll check for a font that displays correctly in Mac/ADE and then try to use that in jetBook. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Don't expect sophisticate rendering (ligatures, glyph selection, etc.) from current ePUB readers, especially not from ADE, which does not even support right-to-left.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote