Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #46
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Just curious, is there a particular device you have in mind, or is this a more hypothetical wish for something with those characteristics?
I think there's a particular device in his mind, as he posted a thread about its early access program for developers down in the developer ghetto.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #47
NiaTrue
Edge User

The trouble is, the device mrspaceman is coveting looks more like vaporware with each passing day. Have they given comp devices to developers?

Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #48
Chubulor
Edge User

NiaTrue, I don't think you're following the Adam's recent progress. It was supposed to be released in June, and obviously missed that deadline, so most people (including myself, hence my Edge purchase) dismissed it as vaporware. However, about two months ago they have released much more specific pricing and release date information, and in recent weeks haven't done anything that suggested a gaseous state.

Only a fraction of the developers who applied were selected for the early access program, and I don't think mrspaceman or any of the developers around here were among them. So I'm not sure if they've actually sent them out yet.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #49
NiaTrue
Edge User

Actually, I have been keeping up with its progress, which is why I asked if they've actaully sent out devices to developers as they said they would months ago. The release of pricing info is encouraging but not definitive. Developers with devices in their hands is more telling, I think, though also not definitive.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #50
dontpanic
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
Thanks for the clarification. My question is (as others have suggested earlier), why not go for Gingerbread if there are issues with Froyo? By the time you get to Froyo, Gingerbread will be well and out.
We are pretty far along with Froyo. Changing the OS version for us takes a good bit of work and even if we did have access to Gingerbread now. We really cannot predict how changes in that version will affect our products until we have it in hand. I think you want progress sooner, and not later.

TC

Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #51
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
We are pretty far along with Froyo. Changing the OS version for us takes a good bit of work and even if we did have access to Gingerbread now. We really cannot predict how changes in that version will affect our products until we have it in hand. I think you want progress sooner, and not later.TC
Yep, progress soon-ish is better than progress later--and definitely preferable to no progress at all.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #52
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Developers with devices in their hands is more telling, I think, though also not definitive.
No doubt such developers would be under Non-disclosure Agreements and therefore not be able to say anything about their experience with the Adam, or any plans the company may (or may not) have shared with them.

I think what NiaTrue is saying is that until the Adam actually ships to end customers, it remains in a dubious gaseous state, as Chubulor so poetically phrased it

Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #53
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Yep, progress soon-ish is better than progress later--and definitely preferable to no progress at all.
Well said!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #54
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
We are pretty far along with Froyo
I would point out that more and more Android apps being released these days have a minimum requirement of Android 2.1/2.2 (even though some are reported to run on our current 1.6), so we *do* need the Froyo update to keep our devices current as we head into 2011.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #55
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
No doubt such developers would be under Non-disclosure Agreements and therefore not be able to say anything about their experience with the Adam, or any plans the company may (or may not) have shared with them.

I think what NiaTrue is saying is that until the Adam actually ships to end customers, it remains in a dubious gaseous state, as Chubulor so poetically phrased it
I hadn't thought of the nondisclosure agreement, but you're right: I can't imagine developers not having to sign one. I did imagine, though, that Notion Ink would disclose that devices were either available for develoeprs by application or invitation.

And yes, my larger point was that I was looking forward to being one of those end users with one in hand.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #56
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
We are pretty far along with Froyo.
Thanks, that's more or less the feedback I was looking for. And as I'm not often found "slumming in the developer ghetto", the answer "pretty far along" is good enough for a user like me.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #57
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Actually, I have been keeping up with its progress, which is why I asked if they've actaully sent out devices to developers as they said they would months ago. The release of pricing info is encouraging but not definitive. Developers with devices in their hands is more telling, I think, though also not definitive.
The early access program was announced barely a month ago, so I have no idea what "months ago" program you're talking about. In any case, a lack of definitive physical evidence of the existence of the Adam does not justify the claim of "looking more and more like vaporware every day" that you put out there.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #58
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I would point out that more and more Android apps being released these days have a minimum requirement of Android 2.1/2.2 (even though some are reported to run on our current 1.6), so we *do* need the Froyo update to keep our devices current as we head into 2011.
Didn't you just say something about the Edge working fine and not needing an upgrade?

Old 11-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #59
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
Didn't you just say something about the Edge working fine and not needing an upgrade?
Yes, in the sense that the current eDGe isn't "broken" and in desperate need of an upgrade to somehow make it useable

Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #60
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Who are you and what have you done with our Chubulor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
The early access program was announced barely a month ago, so I have no idea what "months ago" program you're talking about. In any case, a lack of definitive physical evidence of the existence of the Adam does not justify the claim of "looking more and more like vaporware every day" that you put out there.

See, this really is "our" Chubulor. No pod people in sight.

Chubulor, I first read about the early access program in July or August, when I was suggesting to my husband that he not buy another device and instead wait on the Adam. Count with me, now: August, 1. September, 2. October, 3. Today is Nov. 4. I think "three" meets the qualification for plural. Your insistence on intepreting everything literally seems to have led you to miss the larger point, one we agree on, I think: Companies can say anything they want--and they'd be wise not to disappoint customers with claims they can't meet--but it's pretty meaningless until they get the devices into customers' hands.