Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Arrow Those pesky <?> !

I get these "?" characters in place of ' and " in my txt files when they are converted to epubs. I've tried saving these files as different character encoding including plain ascii, UTF-8 and Unicode and I simply can't get rid of them. It makes my epubs look horrible. When I loaded the txt file into word and chose to import using UTF-8 I didn't have the "?" but instead there were no ' and " at all. When I saved it as an rtf and converted that to epub, the ? were back.

Incidentally, I use The command line command ebook-convert exclusively to do my conversions.

Could someone help me with this?

Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you can post a section of your TXT file containing some badly-behaving quotes, I'll have a go. A section of the original TXT before you started experimenting would be preferable.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Ok here's a sample cut & pasted.

?I think he?s only violent with their dog. But if this Carl does want to
take a whack at me, that?s okay, ?cause I have you.?

?Me? I?m an architect.?

?Not tonight, sweetie. Tonight, you?re muscle.?

Brian had accompanied her on other missions like this, but never
previously after midnight to the home of a crazy violent drunk.

?What if I have a testosterone deficiency??

I don't know what good it will do, but there it is

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Spoiler:

?Me? I?m an architect.?

Thanks,
Paul
Setting cp1252 would (most likely) fix that in the GUI
--input-encoding CP1252 <check my syntax please
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:

?Me? I?m an architect.?

Thanks,
Paul
You need to put the original problem text into a file and post that. It will have codes for the text that allow some indication of what the problem is. Cutting and pasting text doesn't give the original codes.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
p3aul
Captain Courageous

OK, Sorry about that here it is. file save was ANSI
Thanks,
Paul
Attached Files
File Type: txt problem.txt (1.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I could be wrong, but if that is your original source, it looks as if the quotes characters have already been lost.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I could be wrong, but if that is your original source, it looks as if the quotes characters have already been lost.
That is what Notepad++ shows. ? not curly quotes
Old 12-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
p3aul
Captain Courageous

It was html at first. I used ebook-convert to convert it to text. All appeared normal and I converted it then from txt to epub. That when the ? replaced the quote marks. I went back then saved the html page as text. That's when the quote marks were replaced by ? in the text file. The file you saw was from the html saved as text.
Paul
Old 12-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
It was html at first. I used ebook-convert to convert it to text. All appeared normal and I converted it then from txt to epub. That when the ? replaced the quote marks. I went back then saved the html page as text. That's when the quote marks were replaced by ? in the text file. The file you saw was from the html saved as text.
Paul
You cant do that
'Text' is the lower 128 ASCII chart.

Convert the Original HTML with CP1252 specified and all should go well.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Is that Western (Windows-1252) in FF under "View->Character Encoding" ?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Is that Western (Windows-1252) in FF under "View->Character Encoding" ?
Thanks,
Paul
Check out this area of the FAQ, specifically #2.

Sorry I can't help you with the command line interface.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #13
p3aul
Captain Courageous

At last I used --input-encoding "Windows-1252" on the command line to force the encoding to 1252. that was the only thing that would work. Even though FF "said" the encoding was 1252, it wasn't. I will do this from now on when I have an HTML file.

Thanks to all my helpers!
Paul
Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
At last I used --input-encoding "Windows-1252" on the command line to force the encoding to 1252. that was the only thing that would work. Even though FF "said" the encoding was 1252, it wasn't. I will do this from now on when I have an HTML file.

Thanks to all my helpers!
Paul
Automatically setting this encoding may cause more problems then it solves. Just make sure to check for proper quotes and apostrophes after each html conversion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote