Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
chris_tribble
Enthusiast
chris_tribble began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
PRS-650 - Default Sort order

Hi - first posting. Having lurked a bit it seems that there are some very well informed people on this forum. Hope you can help.

Just got the PRS-650 after a happy 4 months using the 600. Mainly seduced into upgrading because of the screen. It's what I wanted and what should have been on the 600.

HOWEVER - I'm not that persuaded by the higly iconised interface. I've been able to make things much more text / list oriented with the menu options, but am very unhappy that there seems to be no way of setting a default list ordering to "By Author". I know this is just my way of seeing the world, but it's frustrating I don't seem to be allowed to fix this choice to a default setting.

Am I missing something? Is there any way of fixing this?

Thanks for suggestions.
--
Chris Tribble
www.ctribble.co.uk
chris_tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
Yes you're missing something!

Go to the book menu, in the upper right hand corner should be a 'by Date' label. Click on there and select 'by author'

Hope that helps.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, chris_tribble
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
chris_tribble
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadgloves View Post
Yes you're missing something!

Go to the book menu, in the upper right hand corner should be a 'by Date' label. Click on there and select 'by author'

Hope that helps.
Hi - thanks for the help. You're right - I'd sort of missed that because I usually don't go in via All Books - I go in via Collections. At the moment, I have three main collections - British Literature, American Literature, Literature in French.

Scenario 1 - look for a book via Books > See All - and you're absolutely right. You can set the sort order default to "By Author". Hooray.

Scenario 2 - look for a book via Collections - and the default seems to be "by Added Order". This can be changed, but you have to change it every time. This is a small annoyance.

Any one discovered a way to set the default sort order in a Collection?

Many thanks

+ thanks for the welcome note
Old 10-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_tribble View Post

Any one discovered a way to set the default sort order in a Collection?
yes, i'd like to know this too... Unfortunately, i dont think there is a way.
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
You can sort collectoins via the sony software - if you go into the collections listing in the software, you can drag and drop them into the order you want them to be manually. Then you just move the collection to your reader.

It can be a pain, but it means that I can have my collections in series order, which makes me happy.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
chris_tribble
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
You can sort collectoins via the sony software - if you go into the collections listing in the software, you can drag and drop them into the order you want them to be manually. Then you just move the collection to your reader.
Hmm - thanks, but I've tried this and they still come up as "by Added Order" when you first open the collection, and always resorts to this if you close then re-open the Collection. The main book list is fine - "by Author "

It's not the end of the world - still find the 650 SO much better than thr 600. But it's an annoyance.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
No no.. you don't click on the columns at the top to 'sort'. You literally pick up and drag/drop the books in the order you want. The book numbering at the side should then be in order (1,2,3,4) etc. I've done this and my books in my collections stay in the order I want them to.

I should say that you can hook your reader up to yuor computer and edit the lists through the sony software directly on the reader as well.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 AM   #9
chris_tribble
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
No no.. you don't click on the columns at the top to 'sort'. You literally pick up and drag/drop the books in the order you want. The book numbering at the side should then be in order (1,2,3,4) etc. I've done this and my books in my collections stay in the order I want them to.

I should say that you can hook your reader up to yuor computer and edit the lists through the sony software directly on the reader as well.
Pegster - now I understand. What you're actually doing is accepting the Added Order default and accommodating yourself to it. A reasonable decision. My problem is that with upwards of 350 books on the Reader already, this isn't a solution I could live with - and what happens when you add a new book to your collection?

Thanks for the clarification - but it looks as if I'll have to live with having to re-sorting each time I go into a collection.

Best...
Old 11-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
What's really strange is that I don't recall this happening with my 600. It seems that with my new 650 the settings go back to the default whenever I plug it in to charge. If I've been sorting by book title, after I charge the 650 goes back to the default sort of sort order. This all appears like a software change, and not one for the better.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
chris_tribble
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
What's really strange is that I don't recall this happening with my 600. It seems that with my new 650 the settings go back to the default whenever I plug it in to charge. If I've been sorting by book title, after I charge the 650 goes back to the default sort of sort order. This all appears like a software change, and not one for the better.
My feeling entirely.

Does anyone have any experience of contacting Sony about this sort of thing - or is that a hiding to nothing. I've looked around some of the discussions of using firmware hacks but decided that life's too short to go that way... But it really does feel silly for this kind of functionality to have been removed.

Hmmm.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_tribble View Post
My feeling entirely.

Does anyone have any experience of contacting Sony about this sort of thing - or is that a hiding to nothing. I've looked around some of the discussions of using firmware hacks but decided that life's too short to go that way... But it really does feel silly for this kind of functionality to have been removed.

Hmmm.
I spoke with their reps at the CES in Las Vegas and they gave me quite the song and dance. My feelings are they "sort of" listen to the consumer and then do what they want (or not do anything as the case my be).
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I changed the sort order to Author, and while it doesn't make any difference in how the books appear on the front page, it does persist on the "See All" page, they still sort by author even after I have powered it off and back on again. However, they're sorting by first name! Is it possible to make them sort by last name?

I have the Sony PRS 650 and I'm using Calibre to manage my library.

Thanks!
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #14
chris_tribble
Enthusiast

Hi - I'm in the same place. Sort by first name was also there in the PRS-600. Silly isn't it!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #15
zisoft
Enthusiast
zisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolatezisoft is generous with chocolate

Device: Pocketbook HD Touch 3
In Calibre, go to preferences --> plugins --> device interface plugins --> select SONY device interface --> customize plugin --> and check "use author sort for author".
zisoft is offline   Reply With Quote