Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #76
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
What happens when you go to customise? What does the content of your Book Sync.json file look like? You will find that in your plugins folder as per the comment I made to you on the reading list thread.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #77
kenr276
Enthusiast
kenr276 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I see the same as Screenshot_2_Configuration.png on page 1 but Devices field is empty. The contents of Book Sync.json file is
{
"BookSync": {
"activeDevice": null,
"viewShortcut": "",
"addToListShortcut": "",
"syncShortcut": ""
},
"Devices": {}
}
Old 06-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #78
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right, so effectively you have no devices configured. So you have to set one up, as per the first post, connect your device, click the add button, and then you will be able to add to that list.

That config file is the same as for a first time user. You sound like you had used this plugin previously - I dont know what happened to your previous config file but certainly the above shows no signs of the plugin having been used previously.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #79
kenr276
Enthusiast

I have used it before and the devices section was not included in the Customize Plugin Dialog as it is now. I have connected the kindle and configured it, will I now be able to add to the Sync List when the Kindle is not connected like I used to?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #80
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Yes.

It sounds as if you have never used a version of the Book Sync plugin that has been upgraded for multi-device support. Once you have plugged in a device and used the Customize option for that device then you can add items to that devices sync list regardless of whether it is plugged in.

One big advantage of the updated plugin is that can now maintain separate lists for each device you own, and also separate lists for each card on a device.

KiwiDude: I wonder an "Add to All Sync Lists" option on the Books Sync menu might be a good idea once multiple devices have been configured? At the moment if you want a book on multiple lists you have to do each one separately.

Last edited by itimpi; 06-05-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #81
kenr276
Enthusiast

Thanks itimpi that is what I believe to have happened.

kiwidude maybe you could add "remove from list" as I just added a book by mistake.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #82
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It sounds as if you have never used a version of the Book Sync plugin that has been upgraded for multi-device support. Once you have plugged in a device and used the Customize option for that device then you can add items to that devices sync list regardless of whether it is plugged in.
@itimpi - an excellent point I had quite forgotten about, of course that would explain. I am so accustomed to expecting users to always be up to date with their plugins I forget sometimes the older version behaviour, sigh.

@kenr276 - I know you posted on the plugin updater thread so you have the latest version of that now. It will tell you when new plugin versions are available. If you look back on this thread you will see the posts related to when this feature was released and the discussion around it.
Quote:
KiwiDude: I wonder an "Add to All Sync Lists" option on the Books Sync menu might be a good idea once multiple devices have been configured? At the moment if you want a book on multiple lists you have to do each one separately.
I can look into that. I would presume a remove from all lists would also be required. I also want to add to the "View" logic in a similar fashion to reading lists in that if you remove a book from the list while viewing it that it refreshes the search so you can immediately see the effect.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #83
kenr276
Enthusiast

I've been reading a lot and haven't updated my plugins regularly.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #84
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr276 View Post
I've been reading a lot and haven't updated my plugins regularly.
What??? Actually reading books rather than continually dabbling with Calibre? Clearly not a hard-core Calibre user, disgraceful...

Ahhh, the good old days when I used to read books...
Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #85
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
What??? Actually reading books rather than continually dabbling with Calibre? Clearly not a hard-core Calibre user, disgraceful...

Ahhh, the good old days when I used to read books...
You just answered a question that had been nagging at me.: "When do these guys find time to READ BOOKS?"

I lose track of how many I have read because with an e-reader I read from any number of titles depending on my mood. When I hit "The End", I open another book
Sometimes I even check whats going on at MR
Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #86
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ever since I started working on calibre my book reading rate has gone down from about 150 a year to about 100. calibre is making me dumber!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #87
kiwidude

@theducks - earlier this year I had the luxury of doing that for a short time while I was away on holiday, it was brilliant to just roll from one book to the next on my Kindle and I pretty much averaged a book a day.

Since I got back I have been looking at the backlog of hundreds of paperback books in my bookshelves and trying to work through those before I let myself go back to my Kindle. Despite the fact that I actually enjoy reading them on my Kindle more and find it much more convenient, be it lazing in the sun, holding one handed on the tube or in remembering my place when I fall asleep! I just feel guilty about not reading these shiny spanky new books sitting there.

And sometimes I end up doing both - for instance a week or two ago I wanted to start reading the Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb, having read the Assassins trilogy years ago (both of which I own in paperback and now ebooks too). I read the first chapter of the paperback and then decided I wanted to re-read the original trilogy to refresh my memory of the characters. Rather than dig through my boxes of "read" books that are stored away I just raced through the Kindle versions. I switched back to the paperbacks for the Taweny trilogy to assuage the guilt of not just continuing on with the Kindle.

It has got me wondering about the remainder of my bookshelf now though. Do I continue to work through the paper versions, when I also own them electronically? My expenditure on ebooks as it was on paperbacks is substantial. I am one of those people who likes to have "all" the books written by an author I like. And there are others on my shelf where I bought just the first in a (big) series, waiting to see if I would like it before committing to the rest, which I now own complete in ebooks. There are books by my favourite authors which I haven't read for years, and the temptation to just re-read an entire catalog for an author where I no longer recall which I have read previously.

If there was an easy way to just get rid of all my paperbacks I would. A bit like the hundreds of DVDs and CDs all boxed up lining the hallway - if someone could just come collect them all and take it all out of sight and mind it would be a far less cluttered flat now I have everything digitally. Selling them individually is more effort than it is worth.

So yes, I absolutely LOVE to read. I just end up reading far later at night than I used to... And less time reading technical books since I am banging my head with plguins and Python instead. I agree with Kovid - Calibre is making me dumber too
Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #88
kiwidude

v1.3.6 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Add options to remove from lists (forgot about when removed the dialog in 1.3.5)
  • Add menu options to add to all lists and remove from all lists
  • When removing from a list and currently viewing, refresh the search to update the view

Last edited by kiwidude; 06-05-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #89
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Hi Kiwidude:

A question for you, I currently use BS to create lists to backup my books to folder based on where I purchased the books. But these folders are not something I connect to as often as I connect to my kindle. So I was wondering if there is a way within the plugin or within Calibre to tell which lists have books in it that need to be synced? Other than Amazon, where I buy most of my books, I would like to be able to quickly see which lists need to be synced without having to view each individual list.

Nyn
Old 06-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #90
kiwidude

@nyn - I agree it would be useful to quickly see the counts. I guess the problem is how best to do this without making everything look "messy".

For instance I could put the count of items in a list after the name in the menu like:
"View Test Folder sync list (0)"

Any better suggestions?
Closed Thread