Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
TrendyGuy
TrendyGuy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook 3G, Kobo
PRS-600 with Overdrive/Adobe DE Problem

I just got a PRS-600 and I am trying to checkout books from my library. I installed Adobe DE, authorized the computer with my e-mail but it hasn't asked me to authorize the reader. The reader still shows up though on the bookshelf on the left. I go ahead checkout a book, download, open the file with Adobe DE and the book is listed with the loan period on the top corner (14 days). I drag it onto the devices it transfers in 2 seconds. When I disconnect and try to read it I get an error it is Protected Content. I kept trying and got it to work once. But when I reconnected the ereader to the computer it once again said Protected Content.

I then decided to try the Sony eLibrary software. I downloaded the file, opened with Sony eLibrary software, transferred, disconnected and it worked on the first try.

I am confused why I didn't even need to authorize the reader on the Sony eLibrary software and it worked flawlessly. But when I try on Adobe DE I can't get it to transfer correctly to the device and work. I need to understand what I am doing wrong so I can show others how to use the device properly. I know I am going to receive a lot of question about Adobe DE because that is what Overdrive has you download when you checkout a book.

Any feedback would be great.
TrendyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
rlaskey
rlaskey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm assuming you're running Windows ? On the Mac, I've never seen the PRS-600 show up in Adobe Digital Editions.

I previously wrote this post a bit ago: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57787 and there are other threads in here which detail that Overdrive + ADE has some problems, and that they're supposed to work it out. I haven't heard any further progress on this, nor have I seen any.

I'm not sure what the Sony software is doing, w/ regards to ADE, though it'd be interesting to find out. On my Mac, my problem is that it lost authorization, and I'm now at the point where I just use Windows XP via VirtualBox in order to have ADE transfer the content onto the Reader. This seems to be working best for me, though it is not, apparently, working for you.

There is a special key combination in the Windows ADE which handles de-authorizing devices and the computer. It's ctrl-shift-d for the device, and ctrl-shift-e for the computer.

I believe you can also right click on the Reader and select "authorize", if it is not already authorized. This alone may help you out.

Personally, I have found ADE to be rather painful, which I mentioned in my post linked to in the above.
rlaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert