Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
GTK Application Needed

I'm looking for someone who has GTK programming skills.

I need a fullscreen GTK app that will run on the iLiad (without extra libs) and do the following:
  1. Backup Local Files
  2. Initiate a connection to the internet with the connection manager
  3. Compare a local text file with the version on a web server.
  4. Download a different file if that version is different
  5. Provide a progress indicator of the download
  6. Sync the file system
  7. Set the reflash flag
  8. Reboot the iLiad

Basically, I want to reproduce this script and give it a little more functionality and a nice front end for users, so they can see what's going on (and also so they can't interfere with the iLiad while the process is going).

Are there any iLiad GTK developers around willing to do this?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I'm looking for someone who has GTK programming skills.

I need a fullscreen GTK app that will run on the iLiad (without extra libs) and do the following:
[snip]
Adam,

It would be easier in GTK + Lua :-)
  • No need to compile
  • Easy to modify

Of course this requires Lua and some libs, but these are small and availabe as ipk file.... For an example see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42946. The tgz (only 1/2 MB) includes the app, ipk's for Lua, an xepdmgr like program for display refresh, and a nice installer.

If this aproach is acceptable for this purpose, I can look into this. I don't have much spare time at the moment, but could provide a 'proof of concept' for you to expand further...

Last edited by hansel; 04-02-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typos
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Can you run a lua based application on the iLiad without installing anything?

My goal is to have a simple, "one click" install for the iLiadOS upgrade.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Can you run a lua based application on the iLiad without installing anything?.
No... the 'one click install' would install Lua (about 1MB in /usr/local), and then run your Lua script (full-screen Gui, download with progress, prepare re-flash, reboot...). That's what I do with MultiCalc. That should not be a problem: after the re-flash it will be 'un-installed' anyway.

The 'download with progress' should be possible with libcurl, which is present on a standard Iliad, and accessible from Lua...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I'll have to check out MultiCalc.

Lua sounds nice. I want something pretty foolproof and easy.
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Couldn't Lua be installed already in the iLiad? I mean, users who want iLiadOS will need to install it one of two ways:
  1. By reflash from a CF card, or
  2. Install a program on the iLiad that will download the reflash image from a server and then reflash.
Either way, Lua can be included in the distribution reflash image or in the installation program, and the user never needs to know anything about it. Or am I missing something obvious?
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
hansel
JSR FFD2

@Adam: MultiCalc.lua is more 'smart' than 'easy' (it shows that you can do much with a little Lua, it's not a tutorial kind of thing). I'll try to make a simple demo that downloads a file soon...
The lua script in the tgz mentioned https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...689#post394689 might be better to give a first impression...

@jharker
  1. This is the current way, this will probably stay. No Lua required at all
  2. 'Install' can include Lua (it's small). So no problem indeed. Of course it would be great to include Lua in Iliad OS , but this is not urgent...

Last edited by hansel; 04-02-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hey! This sounds good. I kind of made the implicit assumption that Lua would be included in iLiadOS, so that after the first install it would just be available. If it's good for GTK programming, it seems like it would be a good addition. However, we do want to be cautious about adding stuff, since the total space is so limited.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
hansel
JSR FFD2

Proof of concept...

Here's a proof of concept: a full screen gtk app that downloads a file while showing it's progress. Written in Lua...
The attached file includes the application script, ipk's for Lua, an xepdmgr like program for display refresh, and a nice installer.

Have a look and let me know what you think...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zorro.gif
Views:	407
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	27085  
Attached Files
File Type: gz Zorro-0.1.0.tar.gz (588.4 KB, 331 views)