Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Adobe reader 9 VS. Acrobat 7

Hello:

I am trying to read Digital editiotns on my pocket PC, advice found on the internet says I need to Activate Acrobat 7, and my PPC, then I can send the files over.
So I activate Acrobat 7, then try to Activate my PPC, the Adobe DRM activator website says I don't have the right version of software, I go through the rigmarole and end up with Adobe Reader 9 instead, This then dutifully updates my Digital Editions to V1,7 as well.
Now the 'Activate mobile device' option has vanished from Reader 9 (looks like it is only there in Acrobat 7), I cant get the PPC Acrobat activated as the Activator file from the website will not run (seems they only work withAcrobat 7), and Digital Editions, has no options to either activate my PPC, or send books to it (looks like it knows nothing of mobile devices at all to me)
I suspect it really should not be this difficult....

Has anyone managed this? Do I need Acrobat 7, or Reader 9 - what is the difference anyway (apart from about 15MB on the download)
Thanks for any help...
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't know if there is a way to get the PPC Adobe ebook Reader activated, but one possible work around is stripping the DRM (encryption). See Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented. This is generally thought to be illegal in the US and some other places, but it is hard to see who is hurt by this on ebooks you bought for personal use. There is no exception to the anti-circumvention laws for "software that no longer works or is impossibly hard to use", but there should be. Once the PDF is DRM-free, the PPC Adobe ebook Reader should be able to read it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Adobe's activator for pocket pcs has been broken for a long time. You are spinning your wheels trying to get it to work.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote