Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
marjoriess
marjoriess began at the beginning.

Device: not bought yet
Looking for Travel book recommendations

I am planning to buy an e-reader this summer (not decided which one yet). The biggest attraction is that I could carry one little gadget instead of a pile of books. Novels aren't enough, I'd want guidebooks, too. But I can't find many travel books available in E formats. Any recommendations would be welcome.
marjoriess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Welcome, marjoriess. I haven't seen many guidebooks for ebook readers. Sony has a Travel section with 269 titles listed of which, for example, 33 are in the U.S. section. These include such incredibly useful (sarcasm dripping) guides as Trail to Titicaca (isn't that in South America?). Amazon lists 906 in their Travel section for the Kindle of which 120 are in the U.S. section including two (count them, two!) copies of the indispensible Roughing It by Mark Twain (huh?). My guess is that since you can't adequately display photos or color maps on eink ebook readers, travel guides will not likely be a hit for these devices unless they are designed specifically for the display characteristics.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
cen
Connoisseur
cen doesn't littercen doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad (v1) / Sony Librie
Fictionwise has a section for travel related books with a number of guide books.

Last edited by cen; 05-12-2008 at 07:49 AM.
cen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Here you go:

http://ebooks.roughguides.com/products/index.aspx
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
marjoriess
marjoriess began at the beginning.

Device: not bought yet
Thanks for the advice

I have had a chance to look at a lot of the sites recommeded above. I decided that Kindle has the best and most relevant selection, and I just got one yesterday to try out. I can see that a lack of maps is the biggest drawback, but even a guidebook is 95% text. As an example, I found Rick Steves Paris 2008, and the practical information, walking tours, hotel and restaurant listings, are so incredibly useful in e-book format! Easy to highlight and annotate places I want to visit. And searchable! And easy to carry! I will gladly carry my own extra map in addition to an ereader.

Plus, even though I still have a lot to learn about using the Kindle, I have already found useful blogs and websites that I can access via the Kindle, and for travel within the US, I can access Google maps and weather info on the fly.
marjoriess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert