Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #76
arrakis10
arrakis10 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
thank you for your answer
the pw2 reboot each time by itself
its totally new i didnt change anything for the factory settings

your advice is to upgrade a new firmware or maybe download the same 5.4.3.2 and reinstall it?

up : I reintalled the same 5.4.3.2 didnt work I installed the 5.4.3 didnt work too. I dont understand... always the same "error 7"

Last edited by arrakis10; 10-08-2014 at 08:58 AM.
arrakis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #77
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@arrakis10: You're going to have to qualify what exactly "didn't work" because I'm kinda lost in the sea of stuff you tried.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #78
BlaneDamage
Old Newb
BlaneDamage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 1
I had the screensaver hack working on my Kindle PW1 with custom graphics just fine for a while (thanks for all the hard work on this code!)

Then on Saturday I left the device connected to WiFi and it downloaded the update to 5.4.5 and the hack stopped working. Since then, I've tried various means of installing the LINKSS update. I tried installing it directly, but the UPDATE option is grayed out. I've tried updating the jailbreak, installing the bridge then installing the Jailbreak, reverting to earlier Kindle software (it now says I have 5.4.3.2) and trying both Jailbreak and Bridge/Jailbreak (all files from the front page of this thread.)

I get the **** JAILBREAK **** message every time, but when I move the Update Linkss bin file to the main directory of the Kindle, eject the device, disconnect the cable and go to update, the update option is grayed out.

What am I doing wrong?
BlaneDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #79
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@BlaneDamage: Check your exact device, the latest PW1 FW version is 5.4.4.2, not 5.4.5.1 (that's the PW2).

Which probably leads me to believe that you're using the wrong install file for your model, since the linkss one is split in two (Touch/PW1 & PW2/KT2).
Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #80
BlaneDamage
Old Newb
BlaneDamage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 1
I confirmed you were right; it is PW2.

And all is right with the screensavers now. Thank you!
BlaneDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #81
cooler66
cooler66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle-K4S, PW2IL
Thanks for NiLuJe's great post. This was the only working jailbreaking method for my Kindle PW2 (sn 9017). Thanks!

This thread should be made sticky.
cooler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #82
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler66 View Post
Thanks for NiLuJe's great post. This was the only working jailbreaking method for my Kindle PW2 (sn 9017). Thanks!

This thread should be made sticky.
These are not yet "ready" -
We are still waiting for the KVoyage to ship next month.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #83
silentheero
silentheero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 2/Basic (2014)
So I just picked up a KT2/Basic today with the 5.6.0 firmware. Is there any work done on this newer reader and FW? I did search the site thoroughly and see that this model is lumped in with the other touches/PW models, but the firmware number in this one seems to be a huge jump based upon the others I see here.

Right now I don't even want to connect it to WIFI in case it tries to update until I can figure out whether I can JB it or downgrade.

silentheero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #84
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@silentheero: Not without physical access to the board.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #85
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentheero View Post
So I just picked up a KT2/Basic today with the 5.6.0 firmware.
Is there any work done on this newer reader and FW?
Yes there has been.
But you will probably find more posted about the 2014 models after the both models have been shipping for awhile.
Quote:
I did search the site thoroughly and see that this model is lumped in with the other touches/PW models, but the firmware number in this one seems to be a huge jump based upon the others I see here.
Close.
Two groups based on SoC processor core used:
The K5 and PW (that's PW1)
The PW2, KT2, (and presumably the KV)
Quote:
Right now I don't even want to connect it to WIFI in case it tries to update until I can figure out whether I can JB it or downgrade.

Downgrade:
Not likely, not from the first firmware release for the board.
Perhaps never, since protection against "downgrade attacks" (lab126's term) has been added to the firmware.

Also, it would not be advisable -
Since the KT2 runs a version 3.0 series kernel and the prior models are still running a version 2.6 series kernel.

- - - - -

You might as well turn on your Wifi -
You can't JB the lowest possible firmware version for the KT2 without access to the serial port.

It would be difficult for the situation to get much worse.

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:40 AM   #86
silentheero
silentheero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 2/Basic (2014)
@knc1 @NiLuJe Thanks guys! It wasn't til after I posted that did I look to see more about this version. I didn't realize this model was less than two weeks old! I wouldn't have asked if I had known, since I know it does take awhile for these things to be played with and for "opportunities" to be discovered.

@knc1- The FW situation makes a lot of sense, and from my PSP hacking days I should have realized that it the device should not be downgraded beyond the FW it shipped with.

I am content with stock for now, and I will see about the serial debug, but that will be down the road.
silentheero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #87
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: The PW2 was already running the same kernel version .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-19-2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Oops. Hotfix.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #88
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: The PW1 & PW2 were already running the same kernel version .
Yes, indeed.
But the PW1 is a discontinued item and I expect it to stay as it is.

- - - - -
Rampant Speculations:

I expect the KV to come out of the build system very similar to the KT2 and the PW2 to be updated to match.

Freescale is shipping (has been shipping) the i.MX6 video co-processor code blobs but they only supporting the 3.x series of kernels.

I am speculating that is the reason for the major kernel bump for the "2014-Current" line of Kindle devices.
AND/OR
We may be seeing more of their Tablet (Android) code being ported to the Kindle grayscale. Here "code" meaning system internal stuff not user visible.
(Very difficult to do if not running a 3.x series kernel.)
Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #89
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Bumped the version on pretty much everything, since I'll be doing a wave of release for, again, pretty much everything, during the next week, once I'm done running some basic tests (i.e., making sure that nothing blows up ).
Old 10-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #90
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Fixed the legacy (K2/DX/K3) Python packages to actually properly install, and not swap forever or get oom killed or worse.

(Recent-ish regression [r10849, 2014-08-26 01:31:48 +0200])

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje